Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to fail NCT retest due to Brexit

• 13-01-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I did my test early december, it failed on a number of items including coil springs. Immediately went to mechanic who ordered in parts. Anyway got everything fixed bar coil springs, when contacted Renault they said they have them down in the Port but are waiting on paperwork due to Brexit. Supposedly been no parts orders for a number cars like mercedes due to this same issue.
    I got onto NCT who basically said tough, have moved my retest date to final date Sunday hoping this gets resolved this week. I have a letter from Renault stating the issue, is there anything else I can do as don't want to cancel NCT and have to pay for full test again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If it's just a regular Renault, surely a motor factors somewhere should have them in stock.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

If it's just a regular Renault, surely a motor factors somewhere should have them in stock.

Order from France. I think they make Renault. Also think they are in E U. I ordered stuff from England in mid Dec. Hasn't arrived. Will now have to pay duty. Brexit ****s on us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I went months without a NCT due to the lifts, then again due to the first lockdown.

No guidance, for the authorities, just whatever you think yourself.

Even before that every other year its torture to get a date, they are always backlogged.
    Seems like no one with any common sense or efficiency is running the system.
    Ultimate it falls on the minister. Who avoids any responsibility so they don't have to fix it.

A coil and especially multiple coils, can have an effect on how the car handles, so if you had an accident, with bad springs, you'd be on thin ice. On the flip side you can have a broken spring and not notice for months on some cars. But the only advice anyone can give you is obey the letter of the law.

Can you source non renault parts? Some people upgrade their springs to better third party ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You and half the country. I'd say your only hope is a motor factors might have what you need already in the country.

We are waiting on a huge amount of stuff coming via the UK as are a lot of dealers and motor factors.

Anything that wasn't in the country on Dec 31st, still isn't now and available stock within the country for popular bits is drying up a bit. We put through a huge pre brexit order in November as did most places but it's hard to capture everything and you don't want to be carrying a bulk of pddball stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

You and half the country. I'd say your only hope is a motor factors might have what you need already in the country.

We are waiting on a huge amount of stuff coming via the UK as are a lot of dealers and motor factors.

Anything that wasn't in the country on Dec 31st, still isn't now and available stock within the country for popular bits is drying up a bit. We put through a huge pre brexit order in November as did most places but it's hard to capture everything and you don't want to be carrying a bulk of pddball stuff.

Are you expected to do all of the chasing for the required paperwork or is the seller in the UK on the ball here?

Actually given that it's pre-brexit you ordered these parts but haven't received them - are you expecting a customs bill? Hopefully there won't be one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had the same problem with my skoda. Couldn't get the part here. I ordered from Slovakia

As a main dealer, i know it varies brand to brand but the idea is we purchase all our parts from our Irish distributors main warehouse of stock in Dublin and Dublin buys its stock off of the UK. Grand until something like this. It's our distributor that needs to get the correct paperwork in order afaik, we wouldn't have an involvement with that. I know some brands don't have an Irish hub at all and everything is overnight from the UK, i'd say they are super super ****ed.

I mightn't have been clear about that, our November order is here on the shelf but instead of ordering a weeks worth of stock order stuff we ordered 8 weeks worth, but just stuff that we know we will need. Service kits, brakes, popular wear and tear stuff based on last years movements.

That's all here and we are working away out of it, but anything that isn't in that order or already on the shelf previous to that doesn't even appear to be in the pipeline. Any orders we've placed for anything since the start of the year this year is back order with no ETA.

Can this stuff not be got from eu and come in from Rosslare etc

Apparently the reason for sticking with the UK (aside from geographical convenience) is because it is a RHD market, whereas most of Europe is LHD.

This would lead to obvious L/H & R/H discrepancies with various parts and would needs the parts catalogues to be revised to account for same.

The other reason is say for example our Dublin distributor wants to stock 20 steering columns for a particular car. The UK will supply us with 20 from their stock of 100 or whatever and will allow us to return "x" amount if we don't move them.

A European distributor would have a much higher MOQ for a RHD rack to make it worth their while providing and then if we ordered 50, we would have to keep 50.

The decision was made to tolerate the Brexit teething process as we may weather it over a period of months, whereas switching to a European provider would take considerably longer, with more internal restructuring required and also more risk.

Just goes to show insignificant a market we really are and unfortunately how piggybacking off Britain is a necessity for some things like this.

There would be a lot similar between right and left. Springs as in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Order from France. I think they make Renault. Also think they are in E U. I ordered stuff from England in mid Dec. Hasn't arrived. Will now have to pay duty. Brexit ****s on us all.

Last date of NCT is this Sunday, the coils are actually here in the port and have been since Monday. It is the paperwork due to brexit means it is not been released. Our mechanic has tried everywhere else. Car does very little mileage so any worn springs wouldn't have been noticed.

Question is if I go to NCT with everything else done and letter from Renault re springs in port do you reckon they would they extend my date or just fail me. I have to cancel NCT by Friday as down for Sunday?

Absolutely, but it's not really as simple as finding Renault HQ France in the yellow pages and saying; hi, it's a pokey small Irish dealer here, we're in a terrible bit of bother with the lads across the water, any chance you could send us two springs for the rear of a Kadjar via Rosslare? We'd have to learn French for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I did my test early december, it failed on a number of items including coil springs. Immediately went to mechanic who ordered in parts. Anyway got everything fixed bar coil springs, when contacted Renault they said they have them down in the Port but are waiting on paperwork due to Brexit. Supposedly been no parts orders for a number cars like mercedes due to this same issue.
    I got onto NCT who basically said tough, have moved my retest date to final date Sunday hoping this gets resolved this week. I have a letter from Renault stating the issue, is there anything else I can do as don't want to cancel NCT and have to pay for full test again?

Unless its some sort of exotic Renault then just go to a motor factors and order the springs you need. Its not like genuine Renault items are going to be any better quality or fitting than OEM spec springs from a motor factors. They'll also be considerably cheaper than dealer parts.

I don't understand why people put themselves through such faff with dealer parts when 99% of parts are available else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Unless its some sort of exotic Renault then just go to a motor factors and order the springs you need. Its not like genuine Renault items are going to be any better quality or fitting than OEM spec springs from a motor factors. They'll also be considerably cheaper than dealer parts.

I don't understand why people put themselves through such faff with dealer parts when 99% of parts are available else where.

But they aren't, his mechanic has tried everywhere he knows. There's lots of items out of stock on many websites. I think many companies thought it was never going to happen.. as did most of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Someone mentioned an argument about shopping in uk irish/uk market because of the lhd and rhd difference.
    I'm sorry but that's just not true, an oil filter is an oil filter regardless of steering wheel side. Same with suspension etc.

In regards to getting parts, try everywhere but I do believe that motor factors are having issues getting trailers into ireland from UK with them been held at the Port.

I suspect they are still using UK suppliers, a lot of suppliers in ireland wouldn't generally deal with the europeans as a general thing.

Unless it's very specific items from the likes of Volvo where they can order direct from Sweden in the space of 3-5 days but generally they order from UK too.

So bit of a long winded way of saying it but yes do expect supply shortages. And I suspect this won't just be with the motor trade but plenty of other areas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

surely under current lockdown restrictions you'd be able to claim you are not leaving your house for no one and the car isnt being used anyway - so allow me to reschedule for after lockdown pls ?

I cannot believe they are not giving an amnesty to folks on the NCT - we are being told not to leave the house !

Mechanic tried everywhere, Renault was last resort as obviously be alot more expensive. Every other bit was from motor factors.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    surely under current lockdown restrictions you'd be able to claim you are not leaving your house for no one and the car isnt being used anyway - so allow me to reschedule for after lockdown pls ?

I cannot believe they are not giving an amnesty to folks on the NCT - we are being told not to leave the house !

Wife is deemed essential worker but work is only 2 miles away so it is being used but doing little mileage bar work and local shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I ordered a secondhand Ford part froma German source, having translated Ebay page and ordered direct through ebay.de. The courier has routed it via it's Uk depot of all the stupidity so I'd agree many people just weren't ready for Brexit. We ain't seen nothing yet!

Someone mentioned an argument about shopping in uk irish/uk market because of the lhd and rhd difference.
    I'm sorry but that's just not true, an oil filter is an oil filter regardless of steering wheel side. Same with suspension etc.

You'd better ring the bigwigs at all the major brands with that idea, they must have missed it.
    I suspect they are still using UK suppliers, a lot of suppliers in ireland wouldn't generally deal with the europeans as a general thing.

Why do you think they don't go to Europe?
    Unless it's very specific items from the likes of Volvo where they can order direct from Sweden in the space of 3-5 days but generally they order from UK too.

Everything on a car is a very specific item. Nothing works anywhere else.

Vast amounts of a car are different for left and right hand drive applications. Headlights, tail lights, wing mirrors, windscreen wipers, armatures, wiper motors, obviously anything steering related, column, rack etc, clutch and brake hydraulics, ABS systems, obviously lots of the interior trim and switchgear, roof linings, seats, carpets, ignition barrels, door locks, control units for anything side specific like brakes or airbags, ADAS systems like ACC, lane assist, virtually all of the various wiring looms will be different, different radio and nav. Lots of models these days do even come with different unsided mechanicals depending on the destination market like shocks and springs, radiators, clutches, batteries, fuel tanks etc.

That's stuff that European distributors just wont have to hand to suit our RHD cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

What model Renault coil spring you looking for?
    A 2011 Peugeot 5008 came in yesterday with suspected worn top shock mount. It actually turned out to be the o/s coil spring had snapped at the very top. Placed an order for new part this morning with a Galway motor factors @0830hrs. Part delivered @1130hrs. Owner was on the road after lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Whocare

Mister auto is still fast with delivery order brake discs and pads and track rod assembly on 5/1/21 and was delivered 12/1/21 fast enough I think (going by dpd tracking information came from France)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Worn springs picked up on NCT? How do they do that? Broken obvious. Worn shocks they can test imbalance but how do they test for worn springs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RobAMerc wrote: »

People are still working, allowed to the shops and other essential travel. I don't want to be on the road with people who've cars have failed the NCT or hasn't had a basic safety check, which is all the NCT is, as Irish motorists seem to only fix issues when the NCT tells them they are broken.

The OP failed in early December, there where no Brexit issues then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Apparently the reason for sticking with the UK (aside from geographical convenience) is because it is a RHD market, whereas most of Europe is LHD.

This would lead to obvious L/H & R/H discrepancies with various parts and would needs the parts catalogues to be revised to account for same.

The other reason is say for example our Dublin distributor wants to stock 20 steering columns for a particular car. The UK will supply us with 20 from their stock of 100 or whatever and will allow us to return "x" amount if we don't move them.

A European distributor would have a much higher MOQ for a RHD rack to make it worth their while providing and then if we ordered 50, we would have to keep 50.

The decision was made to tolerate the Brexit teething process as we may weather it over a period of months, whereas switching to a European provider would take considerably longer, with more internal restructuring required and also more risk.

Just goes to show insignificant a market we really are and unfortunately how piggybacking off Britain is a necessity for some things like this.

How often does someone get a steering column replaced!?

TheW1zard wrote: »

how long is a piece of string. I was just using it as an example of a sided component.

How often do sided things get replaced? All the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭CoBo55

TheW1zard wrote: »

Electric steering? More often than you'd think, Opel Corsa being a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭zg3409

Last date of NCT is this Sunday, the coils are actually here in the port and have been since Monday. It is the paperwork due to brexit means it is not been released. Our mechanic has tried everywhere else. Car does very little mileage so any worn springs wouldn't have been noticed.

Question is if I go to NCT with everything else done and letter from Renault re springs in port do you reckon they would they extend my date or just fail me. I have to cancel NCT by Friday as down for Sunday?

If you cancel your confirmed appointment with less than five working days notice (Mon. - Fri., not including the day of the test) or fail to show up for the test, a €22.00 (€21.65 from 01/09/2020) surcharge will be automatically applied to your card or when you next bring your car in for testing. A similar surcharge of €11.50 (€11.30 from 01/9/2020) will apply in the case of a re-test.

If your car failed and you do not fix problem a letter won't help.

You have a certain number of days to fix or pay for full retest.

In terms of German suppliers, I waited 3 weeks for parts to arrive from Germany from autodoc. They sent it DHL by road via UK and then transferred to an post. If you order anything from mainland Europe it might end up going via UK. There is limited flights and ferries and autodoc DHL, is actually cheap road not air, cheapest of the cheap and given to an post.

Reports of parcels taking a month due to lack of flights and xmas backlog and brexit. Still an issue mid Jan 2021 See:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0111/1188962-an-post-says-christmas-mail-backlog-continues/

In terms of parts, often it can be impossible to find existing stock in Ireland and all shipping is impacked by worldwide lockdowns and brexit. Sometimes parts from a scrapyard might work but not ideal for parts that wear in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Electric steering? More often than you'd think, Opel Corsa being a prime example.

Wow not something I would have thought!

• Advertisement

Good news mechanic just got the springs so hopefully will now have sorted for Sunday. Tks for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

just out of interest.

What's the story if you turn up for a retest and it fails again on the same thing?

Also re original post, did they fail it dangerous or just fail major?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    just out of interest.

What's the story if you turn up for a retest and it fails again on the same thing?

It said Rear springs Coil springs/tension bar damaged Major, the NCT tester didn't say anything was dangerous. Just a few things were corroded and needed to be fixed, 10 year old Fluence with a lot of miles.
    To be fair it has never given me any real issues.

just out of interest.

You have to do a full test again and something else can fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Del2005 wrote: »
    You have to do a full test again and something else can fail.
    But are you legal to drive on the road if the tester doesn't slap a "do not drive " on the sheet?

But are you legal to drive on the road if the tester doesn't slap a "do not drive " on the sheet?

You can't drive to the centre, a garage or anywhere else if you don't have a current NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My father needed a Renault part. Main dealer had to order from France. Did so last Friday. He got a call this morning to say it arrived.

No.

But many had to do this during the lift crisis and again during the first lockdown. But that was then and this is now. They have had no contingency plan for another lock down or Brexit. So it's business as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

just out of interest.

Its a retest again if your within the original 30days . If outside of the 30days its a full test

Passed NCT yesterday, NCT centre not that busy seemed to be all retests, do they do full tests on a Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Passed NCT yesterday, NCT centre not that busy seemed to be all retests, do they do full tests on a Sunday?

Yes tests carried out Sundays. Some centres are open until near 11pm most days.

• Advertisement

Did mine Sunday. I thought I'd be waiting outside. But they were using the waiting room but socially distant. I was there for about 30-40 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

beauf wrote: »
    Did mine Sunday. I thought I'd be waiting outside. But they were using the waiting room but socially distant. I was there for about 30-40 mins.

How does the key handover and handback work?

Key left in car. Already paid. So nothing to do there. I just cleaned the key when I got it back. Likewise car. Though they use gloves etc.

Advertisement