Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need an "adapter" for continental car headlights?

Options
  • 12-01-2021 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭

I saw another thread on Ford Focus headlamps (and fitting LEDs and potentially dazzling people) and it got me thinking whether I need to have a headlight adapter kit for my continental focus

I'm fairly sure that some countries like France require you to modify the headlamps by law if driving a car meant for the other side of the road, but surely Ireland hasnt such a law ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Depends on the car.

You might need a sticker to blank off some of the beam.

Previous car of mine I just had to open the light and flip a switch over when I drove to France.

Some new cars will switch automatically based on the GPS location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

A lot of cars these days have flat beams - no need to adjust for RHD or LHD countries. Contact your local Ford dealer and they should be able to let you know if you need to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kdevitt wrote: »
    A lot of cars these days have flat beams - no need to adjust for RHD or LHD countries. Contact your local Ford dealer and they should be able to let you know if you need to do anything.

Even easier to park a few metres from a wall and see what the dipped beam pattern is like. If it's flat do nothing, if it's tipped up to the right check manual to see if it can be flipped or buy the beam bender stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

With VW cars they have an option in settings to switch between flat and lhd mode. I passed a TUV in germany by switching to the flat mode so maybe ford have a similar option?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

deceit wrote: »
    With VW cars they have an option in settings to switch between flat and lhd mode. I passed a TUV in germany by switching to the flat mode so maybe ford have a similar option?

Yep. My 2017 Focus has this option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kdevitt wrote: »

I don't think that's actually correct.
    IMO all cars type approved for EU must have beams upped to the left or right (depending on LHD or RHD type).
    Flat lights, while might be allowed on the roads in some EU countries, definitely won't exist in EU type approved vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 16 106GTi

If the Focus has Adaptive headlights then there may be a setting on the dash to change it.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/97354-headlights-traffic-lr-setting-plz-help/

20171121_211326.thumb.jpg.82a6f92ee0bb29477cd9acc09fb95b48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

CiniO wrote: »
    I don't think that's actually correct.
    IMO all cars type approved for EU must have beams upped to the left or right (depending on LHD or RHD type).
    Flat lights, while might be allowed on the roads in some EU countries, definitely won't exist in EU type approved vehicles

Its correct, there is no necessity for the beams to be directional. Almost all BMW's since 2012 or so are that way.

Advertisement