Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat James, Rock Deejay, Thread

• 28-12-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭

Pat James is a legend of Irish radio, especially Dublin radio. The man is synonymous with rock shows. He has got plenty of mention on this forum and I think it was about time he had his own thread.

The story so far, as I know it. Unless otherwise stated, he presented rock shows on the pirate stations.

Pirate radio:
    1978 - 1979: Radio Dublin - He effectively replaced Dave Fanning who had gone to Big D.
    1979 - 1980: ARD/Radio 257/ARD - While Pat was with ARD, the station was closed down in 1979. A number of deejays from ARD decided to set up a new station, Pat being among them. This station was called Radio 257 and broadcast from the Crofton Airport Hotel. Eventually, it was renamed ARD.
    1980s (when?): Radio Leinster - According to his own blog. I assume it was a rock show but I don't know.
    1983? - 1984?: Capitol Radio - At the time Pat was involved, it was an album-oriented mainly rock-oriented station, with a bit of an alternative leaning. So, I don't think he had to have a specific rock show. A few years later, when Pat was gone, it became much more alternative-oriented, especially with its alter ego Nitesky Radio.
    1987-1988: Southside FM
    There may be gaps here such as was he with Southside Radio during the early 1980s? Anyone who listened to Pat during the late 1970s would be familiar with his championing of U2, with their demo tapes, and Freebird Records!

Temporary licensed radio:
    2009 - 949 The Rock: Pat presented a program called The Lost Highway where he played his unique take on rock music – less mainstream than other programs.
    2010s - Zenith Classic Rock: This is a Waterford-based online station which had some temporary license runs. i'm not sure which years that Pat James was involved with this. This could well be the only non-Dublin based station that he was involved with, but I stand corrected.

Radio Nova and Classic Rock: Off The Record:
    2010-2017 (Radio Nova): Par James was part of the original schedule for Radio Nova. Its CEO, Kevin Brannigan, was also behind 949 The Rock. Pat's show is called Off The Record. He continues with his unique album-oriented (often blues-oriented) take on rock music. Initially it was on Sundays from 10pm - 1am and then was extended to start at 9pm.
    2017 - present (Classic Rock): In July 2017, his program was moved over to the digital station Classic Rock. This year Pat moved to Saturdays, 9pm-1am.
    During his tenure with Off the Record, Pat has promoted quite a bit of new music, Irish and otherwise, and has had a few acts perform live in studio.

Some more nuggets:
    - I remember hearing him say on Radio Dublin that there was no justice in the world if Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury and the Blockheads did
    not get to Number 1! It did!
    - As far as I know, he always signs off Off the Record (admission I haven't heard it on Saturdays!) with "Stay Free"!
    - Pat likes a bit of Irish folk music.
    - Pat rarely plays any Fleetwood Mac post-Peter Green era.
    - Pat prefers Genesis during the Pater Gabriel era and certainly has never played them post-Steve Hackett, i.e. when they became a trio.
    - Pat always plays a tune or two from Rory Gallagher, what he calls the "G Spot"!
    - He has always had a very loyal listenership with Off The Record. There are regulars who contact him. Effectively, his fanbase!

By all means, fill in the gaps and add your bits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cant add anything to this musically Declan..you've pretty much nailed it....but for the fact he's wasted on THAT station...maybe it'll be a stepping stone to something more national....
    I'd imagine if 8 got a license he might get a call from Simon.....would'nt that be a kick in the branigans.....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Cant add anything to this musically Declan..you've pretty much nailed it....but for the fact he's wasted on THAT station...maybe it'll be a stepping stone to something more national....
    I'd imagine if 8 got a license he might get a call from Simon.....would'nt that be a kick in the branigans.....:P

I'm not going to descend to slagging off people.

But, in relation to 8Radio.com, it would be a nice feather in their cap if Simon Maher got Pat James to present some sort of program. Given that 8Radio tends to promote a lot of new music, Pat James could bring that side of his bag of tricks to the table a bit more.

From what I've heard ,Pat has a page on Arsebook....

From what I've heard ,Pat has a page on Arsebook....

Pat James has a Facebook page indeed and I see he put up some links on it to his show and the station.

Another station that Pat James may have been involved with briefly was online station Goldradio.ie, which was initially launched in May of this year. I'm not sure if he ever got to present a program before the initial schedule was halted - he was party of the initial named presenters.

• Advertisement

Was Mike Moloney involved in that..?

Was Mike Moloney involved in that..?

That's right but it looks like the whole original team left Goldradio after a short spell. Mike followed that up with Music One Ireland, which Pat James was not involved with AFAIK.

If anyone is aware of any other online or temporary licensed station that Pat was involved with, other than those already mentioned, please add them to this thread.

Maybe he'll drop by and fill in any blanks.....;)

I remember seeing him in Mc Gonagles, he used to DJ there at weekends i think....he'd be on the decks before and after live bands too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Another station that Pat James may have been involved with briefly was online station Goldradio.ie, which was initially launched in May of this year. I'm not sure if he ever got to present a program before the initial schedule was halted - he was party of the initial named presenters.
    Pat told me himself that he would not be involved in Goldradio. Technical issues I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

When Dire Straits' first album came out, the story goes that Pat (along with some other DJ's) interviewed a guy going around town saying he was a member of the band. Which was strange considering the back of the LP had the names and photos of the band!

• Advertisement

VanHalen wrote: »
    When Dire Straits' first album came out, the story goes that Pat (along with some other DJ's) interviewed a guy going around town saying he was a member of the band. Which was strange considering the back of the LP had the names and photos of the band!

Not sure about the veracity of that story but I do know this:

Pat was never overly keen on Dire Straits. I don't know if it was specifically Mark Knopfler or their sound in general. There is one song that he does tend to play by Dire Straits, when required, and that is Lady Writer.

Pat has also expressed his dislike of Pete Townsend's style of playing so he does not play The Who. Interestingly, he does not mind Roger Daltrey, though, and has played solo stuff by him.

Pat James does like Tom Petty and tends to play lesser known singles or album tracks by TP & The Heartbreakers, quite often during the Howie Epstein (bass player) period if it's tracks. EDIT: Pat James doe not like Dave Stewart, of the Eurthymics, who happened to produce (and play on) their album Southern Accents! It's a case of liking the album despite wishing Dave was not involved!

VanHalen wrote: »

There was a lot of that sh1t goin on back then...everyone in dublin was a roadie ....:P

I tuned in to Off The Record tonight, for the first time in over a year I think, and I heard for the first time the original version of "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer" by Amos Milburn! Nice mid-temp blues from the 1950s. John Lee Hooker turned it around to "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and, as Pat mentioned, the best known version is by George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

He then played the Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated version of Hoochie Coochie, featuring Cyril Davies on vocals. Great blues from the 1960s.

Then he played songs performed by Stephen Stills to mark his * birthday tomorrow. Pat then played Led Zeppelin to mark tomorrow's * birthday of John Paul Jones - No Quarter. Great stuff.

As I make my final edits (!), I'm Waiting for The Man by David Bowie, live, is playing. This is a newly discovered gem for me!

What have I been doing with myself on Saturdays in particular - I think the last time I heard him was on a Sunday some time in 2019?!

* Pat James has always been great for marking birthdays and anniversaries of musicians and anniversaries of albums. It's educational!

On the subject of other stations that might suit Pat James (see 8Radio.com comments above), Quasar The Album Station could be a good fit: http://www.quasarradio.uk/

On tonight's Off The Record, amongst other things, Pat James marked the anniversary of David Bowie's death in 2016 and his birthday (both were around the same time) with a sprinkling of his songs. He also marked the passing of various musicians in 2020, including one of his favourites: Peter Green, founder of Fleetwood Mac. In that regard, Pat played If You Let me Love You, a live recording from 1970, and Need Your Love So Bad. Great guitarwork in the first, which I had not heard before - cover version of a BB King song, and great vocals, as well as guitarwork, in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pat James

Hi Declan, many thanks for starting the thread, There are one or two details that are a bit off but in the main you have most of the facts right. Its great to still be playing tunes and sharing them as it is now online which is a world away from the old Medium wave which is where it started ,New frontiers and all that.
    At the moment due to covid the shows are pre-recorded at home so we may not be as topical as normal but its great to still be getting new shows out.
    If anyone needs to find OFF THE RECORD heres some links, Show starts at Nine on Saturday nights and we ramble on till one.

Nova Stream
    http://88.202.183.16:8084/stream?type=http&nocache=8443T
    Nova Website:
    http://www.nova.ie/radio-player/#Classic%20RockNova
    Tune In
    https://tunein.com/radio/Nova-Classic-Rock-s199175/
    Or tell your smart speaker to go to Nova Classic Rock on Tune In.

Cheers, Pat.

"Hey Google, play Pat..."..........she'll know....:D

Sorry - have to bump this up again!

I have been listening a bit to * Pat James' Off The Record tonight. I had not heard his show since earlier this year. As well as playing interesting music which you would not normally hear on the radio, you get one hell of an education from Pat. His music knowledge shines through at all times and definitely adds an extra dimension to his show. A few album anniversaries were marked for this month, as always, such as 55 years of Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. 45 years of Fly Like an Eagle by The Steve Miller Band and 40 years of Hard Promises by Tom Petty & The Heartbreaker. Great selection tonight: from the 1960s right up to the 2010s!

* Any account of his apparent time with Radio Leinster in the early 1980s (according to his own blog!)? Where was he between his time on Capitol Radio from about 1984 until his spell with Southside FM in 1987?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pat James

Declan, It was a short stay on Radio Leinster.

I happened to hear bits of Pat's show last night.

As is his wont, he marked various anniversaries. One of them was the 50th anniversary of the release of the album Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. Pat played the closing track entitled Wars of Armageddon. There was a mix of funk and experimentation, including taped recordings, and largely instrumental. He described it as "out there", which it was! This was a side of Pat James' music taste I had not heard before, particularly the funk music!

Bumped up again because:

I just learnt that Pat has a got a gig again with Nova, presenting the Classic Album at Midnight on Sundays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement