Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Clare GAA is broke, Cusack Park was 'redeveloped' a few years ago leaving seats that give no leg room to anyone over 5 foot in height, a 'press box' where you can only see half the pitch from part of it and also where they have to run cables from the stand below along the front, our centre of excellence isn't fit for purpose. The majority of facilities are not fully functional and massive sums of money have been pumped in but there is little or no evidence of that. Most clubs in Clare are more progressive and managed better than the Clare Couny Board is.

These are the reasons why 'abuse' has been directed at the county board and the secretary in particular.

The attitude and answer given to a question from the top referee in the county for the last decade at the county board convention is all the evidence needed to see why the man is getting criticised not abused.

Davy obviously divides opinion, he is either loved or hated. His antics are disgraceful at times and there are countless examples of him abusing and humiliating his players in public and the Davy O'Halloran incident was bullying and would not have been tolerated anywhere else. He is well able to dish it out but very sensitive when anyone gives it back.

He is a decent coach and gets results in short or medium term but leaves too much baggage when he leaves. There is too much of a sideshow and too much involvement with the media and interviews and stories every second week.

I think it is time Clare GAA needs to decide if it is bigger than one family and cuts ties with them and move on with other people involved. I'd say the majority of people in Limerick, Dublin or Kilkenny can name their county board secretary but everyone in Clare knows who ours is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Did the Clare County Board, who Pat Fitzgerald is a member of, take any action against the individual from the Clare backroom team who, according to Davy Fitz, verbally abused him during the Clare v Wexford match in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Maybe they will when he runs for county board position soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Sixmilebridge aren't the only club who don't support or cater for gaelic club. There's plenty of other hurling clubs who do the same and plenty of football clubs who do the opposite.

Most of the 'online abuse' occurred on facebook on a page that was banned. It came back for a while with a different name but I think is banned again. Some of the comments on that forum were disgusting and had no place anywhere being said.

Davy Fitz was an unbelivable player for Clare - his paaion and commitment for the jersey could never be questioned.

Davy Fitz was manager when Clare won in 2013 - fact. What he did with that team after was a disaster that we're still not over.

Pat Fitz has been county secretary for 30 odd years. A lot of that time it was in a voluntary capacity.

The rest is my opinion.

Our county board is stuck in the dark ages and we are suffering big time as a result. This is mainly down to the full time administrator. Simple things like sending emails are still a big deal. The finances are all over the place. There are better run club teams in the country at the moment than our senior hurlers - this is due to the lack of resources/finances available to them. The last senior management set up a fully transparent supporters club - Club Clare - that has tried to rectify some of this but it's not an easy task. The potential contributors in America especially are very slow to get back on board after what happened with the supporters club before that.

Little by little there is a bit of fight back from the clubs leading to motions from Eire Og and Tulla this year trying to get things changed but many clubs are slow to get on board. Until more clubs come on board things won't change much unfortunately.

Saying all that I would be surprised if Davy Fitz ever gets the senior job in Clare again as I think there would be enough of opposition in the hurling clubs to stop it. I hope I'm right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Grats wrote: »
    Did the Clare County Board, who Pat Fitzgerald is a member of, take any action against the individual from the Clare backroom team who, according to Davy Fitz, verbally abused him during the Clare v Wexford match in Croke Park?

Nope and that is because it wasn't abuse, it was a lot of questions being made out loud, not directed at anyone in particular, if Davy was to look for action to be taken then the questions would be out in the public domain which is what is being fought against by the Fitzs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Davy Fitz was an unbelivable player for Clare - his paaion and commitment for the jersey could never be questioned.

Being pedantic here but when he tried to organise a players strike and walked out on his county at the end of his playing career could lead to questions about his commitment.
    Pat Fitz has been county secretary for 30 odd years. A lot of that time it was in a voluntary capacity.

He has been paid for most of his tenure, always on expenses,in fact his Aer Rianta salary/pension were topped up by the county board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Positiveways

John Fogarty from the Irish examiner reporting that Colm Collins, is set to remain on as Clare senior football manager for another year in 2021.

County board officials are confident that the Cratloe man, who has served 7 years in the role, will continue with managing the Clare senior footballers for an eighth year, with only Mickey Harte ahead, as the longest serving senior Inter county football manager in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

John Fogarty from the Irish examiner reporting that Colm Collins, is set to remain on as Clare senior football manager for another year in 2021.

County board officials are confident that the Cratloe man, who has served 7 years in the role, will continue with managing the Clare senior footballers for an eighth year, with only Mickey Harte ahead, as the longest serving senior Inter county football manager in the country.

That story was out a week ago in 'Da paper'. But yeah he shouldn't be getting another year. Colm Collins is a good guy but really shouldn't be allowed another stint. He'd be a great director of Football or something but I presume there isn't the money for it.
    The Fitzgeralds are a symptom of the problem in Clare and not the problem itself. We don't have great administration in the clubs and we don't send good candidates to the County board. Pat Fitz should have been replaced years ago. Theres an incestuous element to Clare GAA. Not bad people but everyone knows
    Everyone. The likes of Limerick with a bigger population is run better because the likes of Na Piarsaigh don't know the ins and outs of Kilmallock and don't care. Theres a level of professionalism thats also in Tipp, Kerry and starting in Cork. The likes of Waterford and Clare ...well look at the county board meetings...guys wearing jumpers and not suits.. amature hour stuff. Theres no man in Ireland that shouldn't have a good suit and tie.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That story was out a week ago in 'Da paper'. But yeah he shouldn't be getting another year. Colm Collins is a good guy but really shouldn't be allowed another stint. He'd be a great director of Football or something but I presume there isn't the money for it.
    The Fitzgeralds are a symptom of the problem in Clare and not the problem itself. We don't have great administration in the clubs and we don't send good candidates to the County board. Pat Fitz should have been replaced years ago. Theres an incestuous element to Clare GAA. Not bad people but everyone knows
    Everyone. The likes of Limerick with a bigger population is run better because the likes of Na Piarsaigh don't know the ins and outs of Kilmallock and don't care. Theres a level of professionalism thats also in Tipp, Kerry and starting in Cork. The likes of Waterford and Clare ...well look at the county board meetings...guys wearing jumpers and not suits.. amature hour stuff. Theres no man in Ireland that shouldn't have a good suit and tie.

What? Collins shouldn't be allowed another year? This is the guy who brought us from the bottom of division 4 to All Ireland quarter finalists, yes we should have beaten Tipp in the Championship but Tipp won Munster so there isn't much shame in being beaten by the eventual winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

BloodyBill wrote: »
    A bizarre post to say the least, doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Nope and that is because it wasn't abuse, it was a lot of questions being made out loud, not directed at anyone in particular, if Davy was to look for action to be taken then the questions would be out in the public domain which is what is being fought against by the Fitzs

Why in God's name would you be asking questions in the middle of an important match? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Why in God's name would you be asking questions in the middle of an important match? I don't get it.
    To distract him I assume.

Kind games

https://punditarena.com/rugby/thepateam/top-five-sporting-mind-games/

caddy16 wrote: »
    To distract him I assume.

Stupid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Stupid stuff.

Stupid,. low class, but it worked.. Did you see Davy on the sideline, he looked rattled.

Major backroom team for Kilmaley, Clancy did well to get them up to senior and Lynch has great work done with lots of teams, I don't think he's a manager but he's a great coach, Trevor Slattery is 1 of the best S&C guys in Clare, might have a sneakey fiver on Kilmaley for the championship

https://www.clareecho.ie/clancy-lynch-take-charge-of-kilmaley-hurlers/

Very sad news that Cyril Collins, the father of the Clare senior football manager Colm and the grandfather to Podge and Sean, has passed away.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Collins' family and the Cratloe club, along with his wide circle of friends at this time. His funeral will take place tomorrow in Kilmihil at 12 noon at St Michaels Church. Burial afterwards in Reilig Nua cemetery.

May Cyril rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Just thought I’d pop this out mainly just because there is no action at the moment, but what have been the best club hurlers and footballers in the county but having played senior championship for Clare in the last 20 years. Mainly it’s just like Tg4’s underdog style 15 for Clare.

I wouldn’t be familiar with the hurling scene but some of the hurling names that come into my head are Derek Fahey from the Bridge, Ciaran O’Doherty who I was very impressed with when he was captain of the Clare Under 21’s in 2009 and won 2 championship with Crusheen after, Eamon Glynn was also very good in that team and kept Cian Dillon out of the team until the final and Glynn moved to Corner Back.

Daire Keane from Kilmaley I have been very impressed with as well when I have seen him, another player would be Aidan Lynch from Ruan, who I have never seen play but some of the scores he has put up big scores in club championships. So if any has anyone was to get involved and name more players, or name a 15, I’m not too familiar with the club hurling scene in the county so I couldn’t think of many more from hurling.

From a football point of view i’ll try and name 15 players.
    1 Killian Normoyle (Lissycasey)
    2 Mark Killeen (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    3 Darren Hickey (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    4 Ryan Griffin (Lissycasey)
    5 Padraig Aherne (Doonbeg)
    6 Michael Hawes (Cratloe)
    7 Sean Haugh (O’Currys)
    8 Darragh McDonagh (Miltown)
    9 John Looney (Cooraclare)
    10 Michael Hogan (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    11 David Ryan (Kilmihil)
    12 Aidan Davidson (St Breckans)
    13 Brian Curtin (Miltown)
    14 Ger Bobby Kelly (Kildysart)
    15 Noel Downes (Kilmurry Ibrickane)

I’m fairly certain that most of them didn’t play senior championship football for Clare. So if anyone else wants to post their teams fire away, just a bit bored so decided to do that and see what teams other people would come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Figerty wrote: »
    Stupid,. low class, but it worked.. Did you see Davy on the sideline, he looked rattled.

Hard to see John Kiely trying that.. its lowest common denominator stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Advertisement

Just seeing on the world wide web that Podge Collins is celebrating his 29th birthday today. Obviously a poignant and emotional few days for him and the Collins' family, after the death of his grandfather Cyril.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Anyone hearing about a prominent hurling club that was raided yesterday by the gardai? Lads training away in the club gym and indoor facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

A Clare Club?

finbarrk wrote: »
    A Clare Club?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Just seeing on the world wide web that Podge Collins is celebrating his 29th birthday today. Obviously a poignant and emotional few days for him and the Collins' family, after the death of his grandfather Cyril.

Ok as it would be for anyone losing a grand parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JR Harvey

Anyone hearing about a prominent hurling club that was raided yesterday by the gardai? Lads training away in the club gym and indoor facilities?

Couldn't be Cratloe surely after last year's episode.

JR Harvey wrote: »
    Couldn't be Cratloe surely after last year's episode.

No. But what happened there last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JR Harvey

No. But what happened there last year??

The local championships were delayed because they had a cluster of Covid in their panel.

Clareman wrote: »
    Major backroom team for Kilmaley, Clancy did well to get them up to senior and Lynch has great work done with lots of teams, I don't think he's a manager but he's a great coach, Trevor Slattery is 1 of the best S&C guys in Clare, might have a sneakey fiver on Kilmaley for the championship

https://www.clareecho.ie/clancy-lynch-take-charge-of-kilmaley-hurlers/
    https://www.clareecho.ie/carr-steps-down-as-sc-coach-of-clare-senior-hurlers-galvin-brothers-return-to-panel/

Great appointment of Slattery in my opinion, hopefully he'll have time to get the lads up to the levels needed, we did drop off in games last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Slattery is very good. Wasn't he with Kilmaley before?

Advertisement