Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a DR650se

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

@goblin59
    Excellent thread, really enjoying it.
    Good on you for posting it.
    Also it's so handy when you have a load of spares to hand (eg the starter motor)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Zebbedee wrote: »
    @goblin59
    Excellent thread, really enjoying it.
    Good on you for posting it.
    Also it's so handy when you have a load of spares to hand (eg the starter motor)

Its been quite a fun project to do too! I went in with very little knowledge of the workings of bikes,
    I have the Clymer Manual with me for this though. Wish Haynes did one too though, I prefer their layout.

They're Dad's favourite bike, so its handy when he bought so many random bits for his.
    He got an Aussie import a while ago and bought spares as he wasn't sure of the condition of the bike, turns out it didn't need anything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Pics!
    We need them!

:)

I've one better for you!!
    So had to do some more work on the bike today,
    Got the spare starter motor installed today, took it apart first to clean and grease up though before it went in
    Neutral switch didn't work, hard wired in a camera systems for front and back and then the bike didn't spark again. The spark issue was I had the spark plug grounded, but there is a 4th wire from the CDI that needs to connect to the grounding as well. It just seem to go off intot he wiring loom i did and i must have forgotten about it.

Next step is sort out the front calliper which is stuck, get new rear indicators and then on Monday I'll have insurance for the bike hopefully.

How do i up load a video btw ?

Cool, I'll do that now then.

I think I need to order a rebuild kit for the front brake unfortunately.
    But other than that bike seems to work.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

goblin59 wrote: »
    It's Alive :-)
    Well done

It's Alive :-)
    Well done

Didn't explode either xD
    next step is fix the brake and get the bike insured

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Well done on the rebuild.

There's nothing like the buzz of doing a build like that and hearing it fire up for the first time.

Looks like a really cool place to live too.
    You have the perfect bike for it :)

• Advertisement

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Well done on the rebuild.

There's nothing like the buzz of doing a build like that and hearing it fire up for the first time.

Looks like a really cool place to live too.
    You have the perfect bike for it :)

Yeah definitely! It was a great way to learn more about bikes too, I did my first IBT lesson in November 2019, so just over a year on bikes and didn't have much knowledge on maintaining them before this.

This is out in my parents house in the country side, we've alot of space out here and country roads but not a chance I'd get away with building this in Smithfield where I normally live!
    I came up here end of the summer last year to do some construction work around the house

Sounds great!
    Now the nice fettling begins like fine tuning of controls positioning, freeplay and biting points, aiming headlight yadayada....
    Always best done with new consumables starting fresh. Mad how much a new clutch/throttle cable stretches in the first 50 mile, likewise chain. The pads seat in and brakes start to work better etc.
    Well done on the build, you had a steep learning curve but twas no bother to you!
    Ditch the oil and filter and inspect it carefully if that's a new to you motor and maybe check the valves again at the next service.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Sounds great!
    Now the nice fettling begins like fine tuning of controls positioning, freeplay and biting points, aiming headlight yadayada....
    Always best done with new consumables starting fresh. Mad how much a new clutch/throttle cable stretches in the first 50 mile, likewise chain. The pads seat in and brakes start to work better etc.
    Well done on the build, you had a steep learning curve but twas no bother to you!
    Ditch the oil and filter and inspect it carefully if that's a new to you motor and maybe check the valves again at the next service.

The chainon the DR is incredibly ease to adjust, its great haha.
    Seat is rock hard, I got a new one of the 2014DR, Dad ordered a seat concepts one.

Good point on the oil, Its easy enough to check as I can put the bike on the side to check the filter. Hopefully won't see any particles,
    I've done the valves before it went in, but can test again too

i would say you will have great fun out there in the muck & hills on that :-)

i would say you will have great fun out there in the muck & hills on that :-)

Definitely! some of the lads are talking about doing Morocco, so this would be the bike for that, easy to repair and less to break than if I took the BMW.

Plus it has a washable airfilter for if its really manky

Definitely! some of the lads are talking about doing Morocco, so this would be the bike for that, easy to repair and less to break than if I took the BMW.

Plus it has a washable airfilter for if its really manky
    That would be an adventure alright :-) something to look forward to in 10 years time

That would be an adventure alright :-) something to look forward to in 10 years time

haha as much as I'd like to do it this year, yeah probably Easter or summer 2022

haha as much as I'd like to do it this year, yeah probably Easter or summer 2022
    No chance we will be on lockdown number 22 by then :-)

No chance we will be on lockdown number 22 by then :-)

Don't you jinx it!! xD

Don't you jinx it!! xD
    :-) :-)

• Advertisement

Had a mate weld me up an adapter for a GSXR exhaust over the weekend,
    Really need to learn to weld, and also have a place to do the welding.

New exhaust is nearly a 5th the weight of the old one,
    So now have a titanium GSXR exhaust and a stainless steel midpipe,

new exhaust.jpeg

old exhaust.jpeg

adapter.jpeg

new exhaust.jpeg

old exhaust.jpeg

adapter.jpeg
    Good choice for a zorst on these as you know. Have it on both the bigs now, well a busa and a 40F0 gixer k1 one.
    It's worthwhile extending the pipe past the flange mount about 10mm to stop the cannister gasket from being blasted by the exhaust pulses. Means it lasts and won't leak as quick.

Good choice for a zorst on these as you know. Have it on both the bigs now, well a busa and a 40F0 gixer k1 one.
    It's worthwhile extending the pipe past the flange mount about 10mm to stop the cannister gasket from being blasted by the exhaust pulses. Means it lasts and won't leak as quick.

Next time ill get him to do that! I get what you mean,
    Problem is currently solved by not having the Cannister Gasket on there.

Next time ill get him to do that! I get what you mean,
    Problem is currently solved by not having the Cannister Gasket on there.
    Lol at solved
    If you use exhaust paste on your flange it should seal up but will be a mare to separate when set. Otherwise without the gasket it's liable blow and any blow on a big single=obnoxious banging on the over run no matter how much you play with the idle jets and or air screws.

Lol at solved
    If you use exhaust paste on your flange it should seal up but will be a mare to separate when set. Otherwise without the gasket it's liable blow and any blow on a big single=obnoxious banging on the over run no matter how much you play with the idle jets and or air screws.

I'll pop it off at some point then and try to fit a gasket in,
    Dad has the procycle set up on his DR so I'll see how they get around it. I have Gasket paper here to that will make it easier

new exhaust.jpeg

old exhaust.jpeg

adapter.jpeg
    Coming on leaps and bounds :-) well done

Coming on leaps and bounds :-) well done

cheers!
    Post came earlier, so now I have front brakes too!

Will take the bike up the field tomorrow!

cheers!
    Post came earlier, so now I have front brakes too!
    That is something I need to sort on the V when I took the wheel off to get a new tyre a couple of weeks ago I noticed a rubber ring / seal coming off piston on the rear brake
    I reckon it is a dust seal of some sort
    Will have to get round to doing it when this muck weather clears off

That is something I need to sort on the V when I took the wheel off to get a new tyre a couple of weeks ago I noticed a rubber ring / seal coming off piston on the rear brake
    I reckon it is a dust seal of some sort
    Will have to get round to doing it when this muck weather clears off

once you have the new stuff it wasn't actually too bad to do.
    Its a little messy in terms of dot4 going everywhere.
    I think the front on the BMW might need it done too.

I've replaced the fluid with synthetic and have a speed bleeder, so shouldn't have to touch my brake hydraulics for a long time hopefully.

• Advertisement

once you have the new stuff it wasn't actually too bad to do.
    Its a little messy in terms of dot4 going everywhere.
    I think the front on the BMW might need it done too.

I've replaced the fluid with synthetic and have a speed bleeder, so shouldn't have to touch my brake hydraulics for a long time hopefully.

I had flushed the rear when I got the bike as the brake may as well not have been there at all
    But If I was honest the disc could prob do with being replaced also as it is badly scored and the pin that the pad slides on has a wear groove from lack of any grease / lubricant

I did see a thread where the Disc and caliper were swapped out for one from the V1000 and a new custom brake hose

Or I could maybe pick up a new disc and braided line with new pads would prob be a cheaper option

Advertisement