Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malware on phone

Options
  • 11-01-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

I seem to have something on my Android phone that keeps opening dodgy sites on chrome. I have an Kaspersky antivirus but it is not finding it.

I was wondering if it is possible to see which app is opening the link. Is there a log somewhere. I cant find any other symptoms (Not using battery, no freezing, no crashes) No new apps installed and list of apps updated in the last 3 days are all well known apps.

Any ideas on how i should approach it. DuckDuckgo is my default browser. I have closed most of the open pages on that and the rest are all established sites, Restarted the phone also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeHappy

Setting -> applications -> Chrome -> Storage then Clear data and cache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

How will that get me closer to identifying the app that is opening those pages. There is nothing in chrome that is opening those pages as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeHappy

You must check the applications installed on your phone, I think you have installed a sponsored application, try to close all the applications (Setting -> applications ->Force Stop) and then open each application individually to detect the suspicious application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

MeHappy wrote: »
    You must check the applications installed on your phone, I think you have installed a sponsored application, try to close all the applications (Setting -> applications ->Force Stop) and then open each application individually to detect the suspicious application.

Yes i understand that technique but was wondering if maybe there was a log of which app opened a webpage.
    In the end i found it another way. (Well two ways)

Under Apps & Notifications i could see the list of apps and when they most recently sent a notification. On that list there was a long installed app for scanning barcodes that was showing a recent notification. Since i had never seen a notification from that app ever i looked in a bit deeper. It had not been updated but i assume it was a poor implementation of the in-app ads that allowed it to open web pages.

Uninstalled the app, no more problems and developer contacted.

I could have also found the same information from the google Digital welbeing app.

Thanks

Shane

Advertisement