Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elekrtra Beckum planer/thicknesser

Options
  • 04-01-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

I have an Elektra Beckum planer/thicknesser,
    There is no fence - would anyone have one of these machines?
    it is identical to the one shown in the photos on the thread linked below

Just wondering if it takes a fence? (author of the thread below was asking the same)

https://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=49659

Comments

I have the same machine. Yes, it takes a fence and the good news is that it’s still available. The machine is now sold as a Metabo unit, so check the parts list for the Metabo HC260

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Thanks a mil, - have the metabo parts list so I'll contact them and see if they can supply

Incidentally, you'll also recognise it as the Rikon 25-010 10" joiner, sold in the US. That one is fitted with a 3 knife cutter head, as opposed to the 2 knife unit fitted to mine, and possibly yours.

You might need to cobble together the parts from a couple of suppliers, depending on who has stock, so check their list also here:

https://www.rikonparts.com/product/25-010

The chassis and fence parts are identical, as are the feed roller drive gears, which is a handy thing to know.

Worst case, get the fence bracket (Rikon P25-010-240 or Metabo equivalent, Fence Carrier Support Bracket) and make your own fence. To be honest, I haven't been particularly impressed with the one on mine, so I wouldn't spend a pile of money on parts, unless you really like the machine and don't want to fluter around making your own stuff for it.

While you're at it, stick a new flat belt in with your order, unless the one you have is known to be in great condition. They turn to dust. (P25-010-256 , Flat Belt 168×3.2×1.8)

Anyway, that should see you with some sort of options.

Thanks again

Was looking at it again this evening - the whole bracket is there, I'm only missing the bolt on fence so I can probably fit an appropriately sized aluminium profile piece as a fence?

Also have an Elektra Beckum spindle moulder and the fence for this will fit on the bracket, but it;s too short

I have also found what appears to be the mortise and tenon jig for this machine - do you have any knowledge of it?
    There is a drill chuck on the opposite side to the motor, I believe this takes a cutter head and the jig attaches to the machine somehow or other
    Can't find any pictures online

I'm 200 miles away from my own machine now so can't look, but I expect a self-made fence would be a good option. Worth giving it a go anyway. If memory serves, it's just a hollow extrusion with the equivalent of a T-Track slot in the middle of the rear side, so if you have a look at your moulder fence and see if that slot matches a T-Track, that could be a good option. Something like a plywood fence, laminated with a T-Track strip to allow for easy adjustment might work very well indeed. Does that make sense?

The mortising attachment is something I've never seen either. I've only read about it as an available option and couldn't find any noteworthy reference materials when I went looking a few years ago. It may not have been a popular accessory I suppose.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    I'm 200 miles away from my own machine now so can't look, but I expect a self-made fence would be a good option. Worth giving it a go anyway. If memory serves, it's just a hollow extrusion with the equivalent of a T-Track slot in the middle of the rear side, so if you have a look at your moulder fence and see if that slot matches a T-Track, that could be a good option. Something like a plywood fence, laminated with a T-Track strip to allow for easy adjustment might work very well indeed. Does that make sense?

The mortising attachment is something I've never seen either. I've only read about it as an available option and couldn't find any noteworthy reference materials when I went looking a few years ago. It may not have been a popular accessory I suppose.

Yes , that makes sense and sounds do-able

The jig - not sure that you would bother with it given there are easier ways to mortise and tenon nowadays, but I am curious as to how it works, especially as I have been looking at this jig for about 6 months wondering what it was for was for and it was only when I dusted off the planer and did some research that I copped it!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

AFAIK it's also the same machine as the PT260 that I have: https://www.recordpower.co.uk/support/page/product/prod/10-x-6-planer-thicknesser, the fence mount looks identical anyway.

AFAIK it's also the same machine as the PT260 that I have: https://www.recordpower.co.uk/support/page/product/prod/10-x-6-planer-thicknesser, the fence mount looks identical anyway.

Thanks - looks the same

I contacted Elektra Beckum/Metabo and the fence is no longer available to purchase on it's own

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Record Power were able to send me out a replacement fence extrusion when the original arrived marked from the factory, and later they replaced one of the internal nuts in the fence trunnion which fell apart, so they might be able to help you.

Record Power were able to send me out a replacement fence extrusion when the original arrived marked from the factory, and later they replaced one of the internal nuts in the fence trunnion which fell apart, so they might be able to help you.

Thanks for that - I contacted Record Power - very helpful, and managed to get new lock bar and blades as my old ones were in terrible shape
    Apparently the Elektra Beckum was the original model and it has just been subsequently copied by others eg Record, Metabo etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement