Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown

Options
  • 30-12-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting worried for racing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Racing being given the go ahead to continue BCD as is according to Mary O'Regan in the indo and on RTE less than an hour ago

Well, I wasn't.... But now I might be...

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Definitely getting worried

A lot of political noises today about going the zero covid route. Soc Dems have joined the chorus now too. Be prepared lads, if we go the zero covid route racing in Ireland will cease with immediate effect. No DRF, no fairy House, and no travel so no Irish at Cheltenham
    That Tomás Ryan will kill off Irish racing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

A lot of political noises today about going the zero covid route. Soc Dems have joined the chorus now too. Be prepared lads, if we go the zero covid route Ireland will cease with immediate effect.

FYP

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

UK gone into full lockdown but racing can continue

Once travel bans lifted before March we should be OK so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Looks unlikely that they'll be crowds for March according to the RP

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/fears-more-betting-shops-could-shut-in-england-as-covid-19-infection-rates-soar/466578

As Boris has been wrong on every other announcement since last March, I can't see how they'll have those 4 groups all sorted by the end of February as they'll need to do that before any hope of an easing of any restrictions.

Let's hope no nasty surprises in Govt statement today. If we survive today, we should be OK

The amount of football outbreaks is a disaster. If they go, we are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

How do you come to that logic?

Sure there is no football in ireland at the minute, or is your thought process just towards Cheltenham?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    How do you come to that logic?

Sure there is no football in ireland at the minute, or is your thought process just towards Cheltenham?

Yes I am talking UK racing, and I make no apologies as one is dependant on the other
    If football is closed in the UK, racing will certainly go with it, and if they close elite sport in UK, you can be damn sure we will follow suit, first chance they get,
    And to answer your question re Cheltenham, yes, my thought process absolutely DOES all point eventually towards Cheltenham, and if you think I am going to be embarrassed by you pointing that out, you don't know me.

I have someone belonging to me quite unwell at the moment and thinking about racing and cheltenham is a total anesthetic towards the real world out there. Cheltenham is my escape. Thinking about it, planning my bets, picturing scenarios up the hill.
    Cheltenham is my escape

Would you relax. Jesus.

Cheltenham is ten weeks away, travel restrictions have been eased already to and from the UK.

Ten weeks time, numbers will be back under control.

Problem i see is if jockeys/trainers are asked to get covid tests, could rule them out of Cheltenham

I thought the festival last year wouldn't go ahead but this year I see very few issues tbh, as the lockdown has come at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

I wouldn't be massively concerned that the outbreaks in football would lead to a cancellation of horse racing. They're sports with completely different structures, however one thing racing has to avoid is an outbreak amongst the weighing room or stable staff that can be traced back to a meeting. If that happens it's a different story so the BHA and horse racing Ireland need to have zero tolerance for rule breaking and to ensure that safety measures are strictly enforced.

The 2 are linked. If football is cancelled, Racing will be allowed continue on the proviso all racing staff undergo testing. If that is a pre requisite, it's game over.
    In a nutshell, if football goes, we do

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

It might be a blessing in disguise if they have to shorten things and make it a three day event... We can hope!

Imagine it all goes to ****e and we end up with a virtual festival.

Whatever happens, there'll be no crowds at Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Travel ban on cross border elite sports now Heineken cup off and six nations in doubt,, not looking good for Irish horses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Social Media is full of rumors tonight that elite sport will be pulled tomorrow in the UK

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Social Media is full of rumors tonight that elite sport will be pulled tomorrow in the UK

Just heard the same.
    Racing to be cancelled from Wednesday
    If its cancelled there, we will follow suit

I am gutted but... Ya know what..... Maybe it just is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Link? Can't see any mention of above anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Yera they might just postpone it and put it back to around the time of Aintree! Try and hold onto something positive lads, the head would be melted otherwise.

We just going to post doom and gloom without any reliable sources?

The original lockdown lasted 12 weeks when we hadn't a clue what we where at.

It's 9 weeks to Cheltenham, plenty of time to get it under control.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

'Racing continues' - BHA and government sources move to quash shutdown rumours
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/racing-continues-bha-and-government-sources-move-to-quash-shutdown-rumours/467664

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It could be just an English Cheltenham festival if the Irish horses can’t travel . Let’s see

Lot of talk in the last few days about Ireland going for zero covid.
    It was always more a gang of loud voices than anything else, but it seems to be picking up major traction now.
    On the face of it, there seems to be a lot of sense but..........and I make no apologies for wondering this, if we did take a zero covid approach, would that mean an immediate cessation of all sports, incl racing in Ireland and would that immediately preclude any travel, human or equine to UK for months, thus meaning no domestic racing, no irish at cheltenham etc?

Clamour for zero covid growing by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Zero covid is impossible. Keep dreaming

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Zero covid is impossible. Keep dreaming

Oh I don't want it! But it's impossible not to see the wave building behind it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

Clamour for zero covid growing by the day

Will you just stop ffs

Advertisement