Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing primary HDD on a PC bought with Win10 pre-installed and no optical drive?

Options
  • 01-01-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

My son's PC was bought with a 240GB SSD as the primary HD and 1TB spinny HD as secondary, and no optical media drive.

He's looking to upgrade the SSD to 1TB but I'm struggling to figure out how to do it.
    PC came with Win10 pre-installed and the proper licence paperwork but if I swap out the OS disk then I can't get online to download and verify Windows.

I'm guessing a bootable USB is the answer but, is there a recommended option from MS or is it bandit territory finding a download that won't goose the whole install from the inside out?

Any and all advice welcomed, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No problem doing it. You could get a cable and clone the existing SSD to the new SSD. If you want to clean install W10 use a program called Rufus it will download the latest version of W10 (you can pick it from a drop down menu) and it will create a bootable USB. Nobody uses optical drives anymore. A few caveats, you need to turn off secure boot in the bios, it the computer uses gpt partitioning/ uefi you need to select this option in the Rufus program. When W10 is up and running on the new SSD turn secure boot back on.

Advertisement