Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What A&R present as you buying for yourself for Christmas this year?

Options
  • 20-11-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭

Posted on the 'New Gets' thread, thought it would be better to have its own thread maybe as its a pre-get rather than a get :)

Mine - not really an A&R, but I'm trying to build a new server out of not so standard parts :D its objectively massive case will be my present to myself this year I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Non standard eh ? PA-RISC or SPARC based ?? :)

For me, I’m picking up a new Gretsch guitar I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I nabbed a Sega MegaDrive Mini...just before they disappear off shelves & there's only used ones left. Nothing much else I need really, I've asked for a few extra RetroBit controllers as stocking fillers etc...but the things I actually need are all beyond present price ranges :(

Unless someone wants to gift me an LG CX48?
    Upgrade my Unraid Server parity and data drives?
    Upgrade my now age-ing pc?

No? No takers?

:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nothing for me, so far.
    I've been picking up things along the way and the Vectrex has gotten some nice things with more on the way.
    Maybe non-retro Nintendo stuff, though I'm not sure I haven't gotten everything of significance for the Switch for this Christmas, with the new Hyrule Warriors game imminent.
    Feck...
    I've reached maximum retro games!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A nice bloke on one of the Spectrum Facebook groups has sent me the expansion cassette for the original Laser Squad release that I've been after for years, (and years) so that's my present to myself sorted, and he gave it to me for free. That, along with the myriad of kind things people on this forum (and Boards generally) do regularly for other forum users, gives me a warm fuzzy Christmas feeling. There are still nice people out there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

Nada, Xmas is about the only time I don't but myself something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Few retro game based laserdiscs, apart from that no real retro stuff worth mentioning.
    I plan to finish my new PC build before Christmas, but the pricey one is upgrading my NAS storage to cover me for the next couple years(hope to have that done by New Years).

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Few retro game based laserdiscs, apart from that no real retro stuff worth mentioning.
    I plan to finish my new PC build before Christmas, but the pricey one is upgrading my NAS storage to cover me for the next couple years(hope to have that done by New Years).

What drives are you buying for NAS use Steve?

Inviere wrote: »
    What drives are you buying for NAS use Steve?

Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB drives(12 of them :().
    They're to replace/upgrade the drives in my Synology DS3617xs.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB drives(12 of them :().
    They're to replace/upgrade the drives in my Synology DS3617xs.

It's one expensive hobby isn't it. I'm not even on the same level as you (I've switched to Ironwolves, but non-Pro's. The WD Red fiasco means I'll unlikely buy WD NAS storage again, as I was stung with x6 6TB Red's not knowing they were SMR ****e, long before this ever came out.)

I want to upgrade my parity drive, which will allow me to expand the array with larger drives, rather than just adding more & more small drives in.

Inviere wrote: »
    It's one expensive hobby isn't it. I'm not even on the same level as you (I've switched to Ironwolves, but non-Pro's. The WD Red fiasco means I'll unlikely buy WD NAS storage again, as I was stung with x6 6TB Red's not knowing they were SMR ****e, long before this ever came out.)

I want to upgrade my parity drive, which will allow me to expand the array with larger drives, rather than just adding more & more small drives in.

Yeah, I used to hate Seagate drives back in the day. But their Ironwolf drives are really good.
    The main reason I need to upgrade is a boring business one, but at least it a business expense I can claim a bit back on. I have an older Synology NAS as well thats full of those WD Red drives :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm thinking of getting a US copy of Legend of Zelda for the NES. I can play it on my Everdrive N8 Pro, but like the idea of the gold cart in my top loader over Christmas. I've never finished it despite quite a few attempts.

In non-retro land, I'd ordered a GSync & HDR monitor but the delivery is delayed until Jan. Thanks, Dell!

Having trouble getting a 30 series video card and a PS5 so bah humbug all round!

I'm thinking of getting a US copy of Legend of Zelda for the NES. I can play it on my Everdrive N8 Pro, but like the idea of the gold cart in my top loader over Christmas. I've never finished it despite quite a few attempts.

Coincidentally, I've a US Zelda 1 & 2 Gold Cart set to sell (carts only, unboxed). Happy Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hahah, there IS a Santa Claus! Yeah, that would save me rolling the dice on eBay. I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

A PiTrex for the veccy me thinks once the software setup matures a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    A PiTrex for the veccy me thinks once the software setup matures a bit.

It's a proper pain in the holé to set up, while I have a menu I have no games...
    Can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ninja gaiden 1, 2 and 3 famicom carts.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Ninja gaiden 1, 2 and 3 famicom carts.

You should slot the Trilogy cart in there for the Snes as well!

Advertisement