Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 13/11 (Crawford-Brook, Katie Taylor, Heffron-Bentley II)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Bud strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A beast and a man who sadly doesn't have a jaw anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Christ, clear Kell's punch resistance is gone and he's shot to bits now. Crawford the best finisher in the sport though. What a fighter. Needs to be put in with a proper elite 147 next. 

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was decent technical first three rounds..

Brook is, as I said, shot! He had little hope.

No real zip, speed, power. Too slow. And the chin not up to it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb wrote: »

Brook is, as I said, shot! He had little hope.

No real zip, speed, power. Too slow. And the chin not up to it either..

Good night's work for $2m though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A good finish by Crawford, but I think it's definitely more a case of Brooks punch resistance being gone after those two defeats. Now we can all look forward to Eddie putting Brook and Khan on ppv for us.

I'm not that keen on seeing Crawford take on Pacquiao next.

A good finish by Crawford, but I think it's definitely more a case of Brooks punch resistance being gone after those two defeats. Now we can all look forward to Eddie putting Brook and Khan on ppv for us.

I'm not that keen on seeing Crawford take on Pacquiao next.

Agreed. And it’s the fight Crawford wants..

I don’t care that Manny beat Thurman, albeit a great win...

Manny is a past his best old fighter now...

Crawford needs Spence/Porter/Garcia/Thurman type names really to interest me.

I know, Manny beat Thurman....but Thurman still a young lion who is elite..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Crawford is some fighter, a real joy to watch. It’s really frustrating though that he’s 37-0 and has no great wins. He has some good wins no doubt and is racking up the KO’s but we need to see him against some world class opponents pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The GGG fight absolutely ruined Brook, wonder how he would have done against Spence and Crawford without that fight. I kind of weirdly still want to see Khan - Brook. Someone is getting KO’d for sure but it would be a fun fight to watch for as long as it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I expected it to last longer but as soon as crawford got caught on the right eye he turned the heat up.

Brook wasn't doing to bad when crawford was orthodox, but as soon as he switched to southpaw(his actual stance) it through brook off, which you would think he trained for anyway.

the first flurry had him in the clouds, the ref just gave him a chance but T-Bud is a killer in them situations, brook after asked his trainer "what happened there"

For me Spence has to be next, Crawford needs to get bigger names on his resume, be fore this would I be right in saying Khan was his next biggest?

$4 million for Crawford
    $2 million for Brook

Crawfords top rank contract is up Oct 2021, Arum was asked what's next he said "the amount of money he lost on him he could have a house in Beverly Hills"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm a casual and I've never watched Katie fight before and I was amazed at how fast she is.

Her coach Ross seems like a real solid guy and his training philosophy seems to match hers.

Johner wrote: »
    The GGG fight absolutely ruined Brook, wonder how he would have done against Spence and Crawford without that fight. I kind of weirdly still want to see Khan - Brook. Someone is getting KO’d for sure but it would be a fun fight to watch for as long as it lasts.

It did.

And added to the very tough fight v Spence. That really put a nail in his coffin..

He had very little the other night. Got caught with a decent shot, that was exaggerated by his moving into it. He couldn’t steady himself or recover himself enough to survive..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It did.

And added to the very tough fight v Spence. That really put a nail in his coffin..

He had very little the other night. Got caught with a decent shot, that was exaggerated by his moving into it. He couldn’t steady himself or recover himself enough to survive..

What about the weight drain?
    You said the other day he looked gaunt at weigh in.
    Surely a contributing factor as well.
    He's huge for 147lb division.
    His upper body and legs even.
    He looked almost stocky the other night.

blade1 wrote: »
    What about the weight drain?
    You said the other day he looked gaunt at weigh in.
    Surely a contributing factor as well.
    He's huge for 147lb division.
    His upper body and legs even.
    He looked almost stocky the other night.

Yes, something I also thought

The effort to get to a weight he left behind a few years ago may well have taken a bit out of him

He looked out of it after the couple of Crawford shots.....

It all adds up. He was simply not at the races at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yes, something I also thought

The effort to get to a weight he left behind a few years ago may well have taken a bit out of him

He looked out of it after the couple of Crawford shots.....

It all adds up. He was simply not at the races at all.....

Messing with weight has done him no good. The eye issues as well have left him a little shy and taken the bite out of his work. I’m not sure he would ever have won the fights he’s lost even on his best day.

The fact that both he and Kahn are shadows of their former selves (however good that ever was) makes the fight between them still interesting. I think Kahn would win it. He’s still got faster hands and Brook can take a shot even less than him now. I think Kahn ko in the first 6 rounds.

I find Brook’s personality irritating, Kahn’s is insufferable.

squinn2912 wrote: »

I find Brook’s personality irritating, Kahn’s is insufferable.

I can't listen to Khan....very irritating voice

I championed him in his early years, as I was a big fan after Athens...

But I always realized that he was an amateur in the pro game....

Had a decent career considering his weak chin....

Never really beat anyone all that good, apart from a crude Maidana...

Lost all his big fights.....just did not have the real pro skills/traits and instincts.

Brook: Better pro style for me, but he only beat one world rated fighter, in a razor close fight....Porter

He is 1-3 in fights against quality.....

Did very very well v Spence, just a step behind all the way, and I felt a little bit of quit near the end....Spence beat the fight out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GreeBo wrote:
    He is playing great golf, no doubt about it. I was talking more about anyone winning anything, there is usually a stroke of luck (good or bad) involved in someone winning a tournament.

I can't understand and how anybody wants to watch Khan anymore.
    Glass jaw and has regressed as a boxer.

Did very very well v Spence, just a step behind all the way, and I felt a little bit of quit near the end....Spence beat the fight out of him.

I think a lot was taken out of him going up to face Triple G. Some fighters just are not the same after stepping up in weights then coming back down.

However, if Brook had not faced Golovkin, i still think Spence would have beaten him.

I'd still favour Brook to beat Khan by ko, but I don't have that much interest in seeing it now. It should have happened a few years back.

I think a lot was taken out of him going up to face Triple G. Some fighters just are not the same after stepping up in weights then coming back down.

However, if Brook had not faced Golovkin, i still think Spence would have beaten him.

I'd still favour Brook to beat Khan by ko, but I don't have that much interest in seeing it now. It should have happened a few years back.

The Brook from the Porter fight was sharper than the Brook from the Spence fight. Sharper and fresher and more explosive...

As you said, GGG fight took something from him.

But, Spence could still beat that Porter version...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Some night of fights there!

The Moloney decision defied belief really and doesnt help the sport. He has put in an appeal and if justice is served will win but a bad way to regain the belt.

Fair play to Brook taking this fight but he was in a no win situation here. I never got the impression he really deep down truly believed he was going to dethrone Crawford. Having seen his last two fights live I felt if Brook got halfway he'd be doing well. The gulf is too steep as Brook is at the end. Still he didnt quit like Khan. With reference to the GGG fight some balls to take that as again a big gulf.

Just a training session for Crawford as was evidenced after when he was playing ping pong!

• Advertisement

Watching the stoppage again...

Brook was lucid enough to be able to say he was ok...

He then just stood there waiting to be taken out......

Not a sniff of defensive prowess....

Watching the stoppage again...

Brook was lucid enough to be able to say he was ok...

He then just stood there waiting to be taken out......

Not a sniff of defensive prowess....

Yep I felt he gave it up very cheaply but thought I was being too harsh. There was some venom in the shot that slowed him down but I didn’t think it should’ve left him so powerless.

Didn’t porter fight Spence last? Thought he gave a fantastic account of himself I had it wafer thin but for a very well spotted knock down.

On Kahn brook I think Kahn’s hand speed would prove decisive. Brook wouldn’t fear him though so I could see him take heavy type shots from Kahn better than at the weekend.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yep I felt he gave it up very cheaply but thought I was being too harsh. There was some venom in the shot that slowed him down but I didn’t think it should’ve left him so powerless.

Didn’t porter fight Spence last? Thought he gave a fantastic account of himself I had it wafer thin but for a very well spotted knock down.

On Kahn brook I think Kahn’s hand speed would prove decisive. Brook wouldn’t fear him though so I could see him take heavy type shots from Kahn better than at the weekend.

Yes. I noticed that too. Brook's desire seemed to be gone, rather than it being a case of his senses were completely scrambled.

I think Brook will be able for Khan's punches, unless his resistance is completely shot. Assuming it isn't, I think Brook will win by ko.

Porter v Spence was a proper slugest. Spence said he wanted to beat Porter at his own game, which he just about did. It was very close, though.
    So when you think about it Brook did very well to beat Porter a few years ago,

Yes. I noticed that too. Brook's desire seemed to be gone, rather than it being a case of his senses were completely scrambled.

I think Brook will be able for Khan's punches, unless his resistance is completely shot. Assuming it isn't, I think Brook will win by ko.

Porter v Spence was a proper slugest. Spence said he wanted to beat Porter at his own game, which he just about did. It was very close, though.
    So when you think about it Brook did very well to beat Porter a few years ago,

I think the fight goes a lot deeper but I still think Kahn with a mid rounds ko. I’d like to see it. Awful pity they didn’t meet as world champions. Serious carrot for the winner back then.

Porter was just on it that night and Spence was still too good. It was an enthralling fight imo. I think a much worse Porter allowed Brook to beat him.

Advertisement