Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defunct Bands

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Who remembers No Sweat?

They had a black Terrence Trent Darby lookalike guitarist. He was from somewhere in the Caribbean. Were briefly massive after that Heart And Soul single. They had a fan club and all, I remember this girl who ran it appearing on Scratch Saturday with them. Of course they didn't manage to replicate H&S's success and before long no more was heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Joe Elliot wrote that and I think he managed them.
    I saw the TTD lad from No Sweat working behind a bar, not long after H and S came out. He was trying to form his own band I recall.

My Little Fun house were tipped to be the next huge band for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Prayer Boat

What a band (or man Emmet Tinley is) they were. Released the masterpiece Polichinelle in 1999 and I was very lucky to get to see him perform the album in Whelans in October 2009 (same night Ireland were drawing 0-0 with Montenegro; a month out from the infamous * spits * Stade de France match).

Anyway, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9g-foEWNQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

They had a black Terrence Trent Darby lookalike guitarist. He was from somewhere in the Caribbean. Were briefly massive after that Heart And Soul single. They had a fan club and all, I remember this girl who ran it appearing on Scratch Saturday with them. Of course they didn't manage to replicate H&S's success and before long no more was heard of them.

Tearing Down The Walls was a brilliant song though

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

There was this band that I remember just seeing once performing a song on RTE circa 88/89. The singer had curly hair, Waterboys type image. The guitarist had this odd gimmic where he was lying on his back on the floor pretending to be asleep while playing. Sort of indie acoutistic. Curious to know who they were.

Sorry if either of these have been mentioned already but does anyone remember:

Cactus World News (80s)
    Shaine (90s)

The second band I mentioned had a song which I really liked called "Dreamtown" but I think that was their only song

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Glyder (saw them support Metallica and I think Slash too)
    The Thrills
    The Revs
    Paddy Casey
    Simon Casey
    Scuba Dice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Sorry if either of these have been mentioned already but does anyone remember:

Cactus World News (80s)
    Shaine (90s)

The second band I mentioned had a song which I really liked called "Dreamtown" but I think that was their only song

I loved Dreamtown! I bought the single on cassette and also loved the B Side "Like an Ocean". I remember they came to Ennis to do a gig in 1991 and I cursed being too young to go to see them.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I loved Dreamtown! I bought the single on cassette and also loved the B Side "Like an Ocean". I remember they came to Ennis to do a gig in 1991 and I cursed being too young to go to see them.

I remember them from when I was in first year in secondary school,that song got a lot of airplay and was often featured on The Beat Box.I used to think that song was about drugs or some kind of addiction.Do you still have that tape? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

I remember them from when I was in first year in secondary school,that song got a lot of airplay and was often featured on The Beat Box.I used to think that song was about drugs or some kind of addiction.Do you still have that tape? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Yes I do! Still working perfectly,think it's in a box in my attic with the others. Dreamtown's on youtube.:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Q27JovP-s

• Advertisement

Del Amtri

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Del Amtri

Still touring in Scotland / England as recently as 2018 AFAIK. :)
    Great band!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There was this band that I remember just seeing once performing a song on RTE circa 88/89. The singer had curly hair, Waterboys type image. The guitarist had this odd gimmic where he was lying on his back on the floor pretending to be asleep while playing. Sort of indie acoutistic. Curious to know who they were.

Any chance it was Toasted Heretic or A House?

Any chance it was Toasted Heretic or A House?

No, certain it was neither of them. Whoever this band were I don't recall seeing them again. The lead singer had bushy curly hair which looked kind of retro for the period. They had a very "laid back" vibe. The song they did was very slow tempo.

What ever happened to Tracy Chapman ???

Still hear her tunes the odd time

Always thought she was a guy :D:D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What ever happened to Tracy Chapman ???

Still hear her tunes the odd time

Always thought she was a guy :D:D

Always annoyed me that Fast Car was never on 1980s compilations - then and now.

Always annoyed me that Fast Car was never on 1980s compilations - then and now.

yeah its a brilliant song as well as Talkin about a Revolution

For some reason there almost always on jukeboxes in kind of rough pubs

Something Happens
    Picturehouse

Blasts from the past

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yes I do! Still working perfectly,think it's in a box in my attic with the others. Dreamtown's on youtube.:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Q27JovP-s

Excellent

I'm gonna see if I can order that CD somewhere

I'm gonna see if I can order that CD somewhere

There’s two for sale on Discogs - both Canadian sellers

Wonder if anyone can identify this song that I remember hearing late night on the radio a couple of times circa mid 90's. Kind of a dancey tune and vocals by a guy with a strong Northern Ireland accent doing almost spoken word or borderline rap. The chorus went "The fridge is pregnant its about to give birth, there's people dying all over the Earth, (something something) and the fridge is far too full"

Don't think it was Jinx Lennon. Googling lyrics don't shed any light.

I've a vague memory of circa late 80s reading an article about a Catholic priest who in his spare time was the frontman with a heavy metal band. I remember the band were called The Time Machine . Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Edit: theres a band of that name listed in Irish Rock Discography but dont think it's the same group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

Great Irish Albums Revisited is out now on all #podcast platforms. This episode focuses on Blue in heaven's two albums - All the God's Men & Explicit Material: 

previous episodes explore records by toasted heretic, whipping boy, and fatima mansions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

5 or 6 episodes up on spotify now too

https://open.spotify.com/show/0lGWXdN5k8waFfLlglxh8e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember him being interviewed by liam fay in hot press (including a line about his leather trousers being so tight you could see the outline of his pubes), so maybe the hot press archives (if they exist) might help.

Advertisement