Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please help find old family car

Options
  • 19-01-2021 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,

I'd really appreciate any help in this matter.

My mum had a Vauxhall Zafira 2008. A few years back it was damaged and written off. A while later we realised it was back on the road as we were sent a penalty by eflow for not paying the m50 toll (the insurance company sold it on to someone else).

My mother passed away just a couple of months ago. We made many memories with this car and I'd like to have the chance to buy it back off whoever has it now. I've no idea if its in good condition and its probably not an economical choice. But I'm willing to spend on it to bring it back up to scratch. Would appreciate advice on this.

Basically though, how can I find the owner from the car registration?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

you could look on used car sites and see is it for sale

Zafira 1.9diesel automatic 7 seater
    16 days 394 views Laois

ZWZhYWY5Mzk1MTA2M2Y4NjJmMjVkNDRjMTlkNTg1MjgfcHSZWLJu1nvTIjKBlPcIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY2NTU4ODZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/zafira-1-9diesel-automatic-7-seater/26882823

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Short answer is you can’t find out the owner from the reg number.

You might get lucky and see it for sale. Very unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Put the reg number into the NCT booking thing & see if it comes back with anything
    You can usually get the NCT due date so if it's still on the road you'll at least find that out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Basically though, how can I find the owner from the car registration?

You cant (through any legal means)

Best bet would be to post the reg number and hope that someone recognises it and knows where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I understand your sentiment, but they were an awful POS at the best of times and a badly crashed one will have ongoing problem after problem. Save yourself a bucket load of hassle and honour her memory some other way.

• Advertisement

I understand your sentiment, but they were an awful POS at the best of times and a badly crashed one will have ongoing problem after problem. Save yourself a bucket load of hassle and honour her memory some other way.

This has to be a wind up thread :D
    Its probably gone on fire by now anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go down to the local Garda station, explain what it is you want, and ask the Garda if they would pass your contact details onto the current owner.

There's no legal issue with this since the Garda is not passing their details onto you.

It also means that if it's been scrapped or is with a dealer, the Garda can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

seamus wrote: »
    Go down to the local Garda station, explain what it is you want, and ask the Garda if they would pass your contact details onto the current owner.

There's no legal issue with this since the Garda is not passing their details onto you.

It also means that if it's been scrapped or is with a dealer, the Garda can tell you.

The OP wanting to buy it is not a valid reason for a Garda to access the ownership details of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

It went on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

bit of sensitivity needed by some ..... Best of luck OP, hope you find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP wanting to buy it is not a valid reason for a Garda to access the ownership details of a car.

It isn't but if you met a decent one in the station they might help you out. Even if they gave you a yes or no that's it's still around. No harm in asking, some of the local guards here are decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

have you tried the insurance company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 supremeduck

Appreciate all the words of advice!

I've scoured through donedeal and the like, no luck there.

Tried the NCT, it expired November 2020. So the owner's either set it on fire like yous suggesting lol, or waiting for another nct.

I'll ask the guards see what they have to say.

Haven't been chatting to insurance yet but I'll give that a shot. Wasn't sure if they're bound by the same data laws and all.

It's not the best car out there but it would mean a lot. She passed her test on it and used to drop us off to school in it. Unless its an absolute lost cause I wanna have a go at saving it.

Advertisement