Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CP this wk/end

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kellt

shaungil wrote: »
    I've never done an Open race as hard and as intense as some of the Club leagues so yeah typically is easier until near the end as you're not chasing down the earlier groups.

Thanks SG thats the answer i was hoping for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Ohh - two conflicting views! Who to believe - the Ras racer veteran or the Ras Marshal veteran?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Well, I have not ridden many club league races so possibly the guy who has done both. I just know how full gas that race can be.

(I looked at my data from doing it 2 years ago - I was in the winning break of 5 but my Garmin mount broke and the bike computer fell to the ground - I stopped - OT, the new Garmin mounts are fine...)

And the 2009 race on Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/507025#

(I didn't finish the race)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

SG rides the league races in scratch so the A3/4 race will be slower and easier than that.
    From most of the rest of the groups bar possibly semi-scratch it'll be a lot harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    SG rides the league races in scratch

Is that what he tells ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Re: league .v. Open races and which is harder.

I've never done a swords league race but I know that I take a hammering in the Orwell league (racing now in the scratch group) that I never get in open A3 races.

In the league I'm in with A2s and some A1s as well as A3s like myself. The pace is higher, the racing more aggressive and any sign of weakness is likely to inspire someone to try to jump off the front - and that's in CPs! In DMS format it's even more attacking. None of that happens in A3 where the racing is largely negative and cautious. There's probably an element of league racing being lower-stakes for most involved so they're more prepared to be adventurous with the tactics and see what happens.

Irvine's presence at the swords races is probably responsible upping everyone's pace a bit too.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Re: league .v. Open races and which is harder.

I've never done a swords league race but I know that I take a hammering in the Orwell league (racing now in the scratch group) that I never get in open A3 races.

In the league I'm in with A2s and some A1s as well as A3s like myself. The pace is higher, the racing more aggressive and any sign of weakness is likely to inspire someone to try to jump off the front - and that's in CPs! In DMS format it's even more attacking. None of that happens in A3 where the racing is largely negative and cautious. There's probably an element of league racing being lower-stakes for most involved so they're more prepared to be adventurous with the tactics and see what happens.

Irvine's presence at the swords races is probably responsible upping everyone's pace a bit too.

I think we should ban him for being too awesome! Either that or make him ride a fixie!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I think we should ban him for being too awesome! Either that or make him ride a fixie!

I'd say put him on a mountain bike (with only a 44t big ring) - slow down the motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

No A3/4 race I've done is harder than semi scratch or scratch even some of the combined ones are easier beacause you can hide in the bunch and sit on. The league is always chasing a group so youi have to work and then when you're caught you're already on the limit and have to try and hang on.

I did 4 races in scratch last year none this year because the lads in scratch were prepping for Ras and I knew I'd get a kicking and not be able to hang on.

Of course if you scrub in Semi scratch or scratch then an open race may be harder. I hope that clarifies my opinion. Ryan drop down anytime and you can see yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ryan drop down anytime and you can see yourself.

1 pro kicking ass is enough !!!

(Fat and out of shape but making season début tonight ...)

Of course if you scrub in Semi scratch or scratch then an open race may be harder. I hope that clarifies my opinion. Ryan drop down anytime and you can see yourself.

I plan on making it out at some point - thanks.

Is there anyone traveling from the Dundrum area that can give me a lift to this race? Mel is going to the stage race up in Donegal with the car this weekend.

Split petrol/tolls etc.

PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'd be in group 3 in the swords league and like shaungil said, they are typically easier until the end, more so if no one wants to work. Few of the A4 races have gone at pedestrian paces for the first lap or two.

A1/A2 races always look different. The Lucan GP was the only one I remember that the bunch didn't appear to get split to pieces. One of the northern races I went to looked like less than 10 finished in the A1/A2 race.

Is there anyone traveling from the Dundrum area that can give me a lift to this race? Mel is going to the stage race up in Donegal with the car this weekend.

Split petrol/tolls etc.

PM me.

You should cycle over. Give the rest of us a chance. Its not like you have been training hard for it recently anyway :D

You should cycle over. Give the rest of us a chance. Its not like you have been training hard for it recently anyway :D

I would except I wouldn't get to ride my Lightweights in the race... (don't want to ride through the city on tubs!) Those wheels are just too nice not to use when racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

The sign on time is 12? That right?
    Looking forward to a good couple of hours of suffering!!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

+1

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you guys suffering;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Would love to be there but I'm away for the next week. Look forward to reading all the race reports. Enjoy folks.

I would except I wouldn't get to ride my Lightweights in the race... (don't want to ride through the city on tubs!) Those wheels are just too nice not to use when racing.

I rode a pair a few weeks ago that my older bro had on loan. Damn those things are light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 A44Ever

The sign on time is 12? That right?

It says 12:00 in IrishCycling, I assume that's the race start time and that sign on is up to then only. Let me know if it's later and it's only sign on starting at 12:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A44Ever wrote: »
    It says 12:00 in IrishCycling, I assume that's the race start time and that sign on is up to then only. Let me know if it's later and it's only sign on starting at 12:00.

Race is at 12.00, so sign-on from 11.30 - 12.00.

Raam wrote: »
    I rode a pair a few weeks ago that my older bro had on loan. Damn those things are light.

They are light, but there is a lot lighter out there for cheaper (my MTB race wheels are lighter than the LWs...). What makes them so nice is the lightness at the rim, the stiffness and them being reasonably aero - those things together make them into the best wheels I have ridden.

They are light, but there is a lot lighter out there for cheaper (my MTB race wheels are lighter than the LWs...). What makes them so nice is the lightness at the rim, the stiffness and them being reasonably aero - those things together make them into the best wheels I have ridden.

How many €€ for a pair?

How many €€ for a pair?

€2,800 retail (or so) but buy the insurance too (€280). Not cheap - but I see lots of people on frames that cost that much or more with much less nice wheels.

I would rather a €800 frame and these wheels, then a blingy frame and reasonably generic factory wheels. Much bigger performance difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

A3/A4 combined for this race lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kellt

Does anybody know how much the entry fee will be tomorrow ? Also do we get assigned a new number or do we use our swords league number ? Don't want to be carrying change up nags

kellt wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much the entry fee will be tomorrow ? Also do we get assigned a new number or do we use our swords league number ? Don't want to be carrying change up nags

Hi kellt,
    it is usually a tenner for a race.
    If you do not have a license for open races from Cycling Ireland, then you will need to get one on the day, at which time you will be given a number, which you must return. That will be an extra tenner. I'm not sure if some of that is a deposit for the number.

If you already have a license for open races, then you will already have a number.

Your number for the Swords league races is no good for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Raam wrote: »
    If you do not have a license for open races from Cycling Ireland, then you will need to get one on the day, at which time you will be given a number, which you must return. That will be an extra tenner. I'm not sure if some of that is a deposit for the number.

There is a 10Euro deposit for the number which you get back when you return the number.

Advertisement