Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good tractor for around 15,000?

• 19-01-2019 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Well, id like advice on a nice tractor which wont give us much trouble. Our old Marshall 702 is giving us trouble and is falling apart,we have been looking for months for a restored 804 and there hasn't been anything for sale. We want something small (has to be 7ft or less wide and not much more than 8ft 9 tall) and 4wd, what we have at the moment is 70hp so we would want around the same if not more. I looked at auction results and saw a clean t6080 sold for 18,000, it had 9000 hours, is that alot of hours for it, and would we get one for that price outside of an auction. We wouldn't be putting much hours on it, I don't know how accurate the reading is on our Marshall but it says 2950 and its a 1984. But we need something that will last. We were also thinking of getting one with a loader but my dads friend says going over bumps with one causes the tractor to break in half, is that a common occurrence? Anyway we don't really mind which brand but Id prefer New Holland myself, but are we asking for too much for 15,000? Has anyone got any suggestions, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Welcome to boards. How about a Fiat? A winner F100 should be in your price range or I see a 100-90 on donedeal. Clutch and cab rot would be the only major issues.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 James Mac Mahon

Thanks, I remember the Grassmen had one restored, it was a nice tractor alright, have you heard of any tractors breaking with a loader fitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

Just to give you an idea of what you could get, My brother picked up a 01 Landini Ghibli 90 4WD last year for 15k. There was just under 4000 hrs on it I think. He hasn't had any issues with it so far. Only thing was the tyres on the front were well worn. He reckons on our hilly land he will have to get new tyres for the front soon for grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thanks, I remember the Grassmen had one restored, it was a nice tractor alright, have you heard of any tractors breaking with a loader fitted?

If the brackets go back to the rear axle it isn’t a problem. Even if it doesn’t unless you are traveling a mile to bring home a bale on the loader it shouldn’t happen
    That was the problem with mine. In saying that I have absolutely no retreats getting a loader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I’ve never heard of a tractor splitting with a loader and I lifted thousands of silage bales with different tractors and loaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I'm on a mission to find one too for around this range. A much harder task than I first thought. Everyone has an opinion and contrary advice when I ask around. One says get a zetor, while more tell me don't touch them. So it's very hard to part with that much money on a 30 year old tractor that may or may not give you hassle.

I would think that the 01 landini above for that much money was a good buy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Well, id like advice on a nice tractor which wont give us much trouble. Our old Marshall 702 is giving us trouble and is falling apart,we have been looking for months for a restored 804 and there hasn't been anything for sale. We want something small (has to be 7ft or less wide and not much more than 8ft 9 tall) and 4wd, what we have at the moment is 70hp so we would want around the same if not more. I looked at auction results and saw a clean t6080 sold for 18,000, it had 9000 hours, is that alot of hours for it, and would we get one for that price outside of an auction. We wouldn't be putting much hours on it, I don't know how accurate the reading is on our Marshall but it says 2950 and its a 1984. But we need something that will last. We were also thinking of getting one with a loader but my dads friend says going over bumps with one causes the tractor to break in half, is that a common occurrence? Anyway we don't really mind which brand but Id prefer New Holland myself, but are we asking for too much for 15,000? Has anyone got any suggestions, thanks.

Hi, welcome to boards.
    If ye are managing with 70hp at the moment, then I would run away from a t6080! They are a lovely machine, I spent a summer driving a brand new one around 10 years ago, but its over double the horse power of the Marshall. I would limit my search to a 4 cylinder machine, of 70-100hp. I

A loader shouldn't cause any tractor to break in half, our first loader tractor was on an international 674, the loader brackets only went as far as the cab, but on most tractors made in the last 20 years, the loader brackets go to the back axle, so the weight is spread over the 4 wheels more evenly. Loaders on 2wd tractors are a recipe for disaster though, as we found out.

For 15k, you will get a tractor that meets your requirements, have a look on done deal, and put a limit of 15k on the price. The early new holland 4 cylinder tractors are holding their value well, you may not get one for the price, but keep an eye open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Marshall 702 was a 2wd tractor according to Tractor data it was about 90HP. Are you sure you need a 4WD as opposed to a 2WD. You will get a good few tractors in the 90HP range for down around 10K without a loader and 3-4K would get you a good loader for it. However if you do want 4WD you will really have tp search to get a clean tractor in your budget range. Biggest problem in buying a tractor in that price range is no matter how careful you are you could have to spend another 2K in the first 18 months sorting out a few problems. If you have managed without a loader until now do you need one.

The UK may be an option if you have a contact there If you could go to 20K the market opens up a bit. Might I suggest a Case or Mc Cormick CX80, CX90 or CX 100 but they will cost you another 2-3K over the 15K. Below 15K you are looking at a Case 4230 if you can get a clean one, you would have a choice of a few Zetors or a Landini. I know nothing about Landini's. My advice is to go and drive a few tractors in the 80-100HP bracket in the 2WD and 4WD. Compare a few Cases, Landini's and Zeators with more basic massey's 390's. Then see if you really need a 4WD

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Buy a 2650 4wd with the gear change between the legs. Perfect tractor at the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

I know there is a 90hp zetor going into TFM the laois branch 2007 , 2800 hours and has a rossmore loader it was only used for yard work hauling meal, drawing water, rolling, topping, never blagarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

was looking for a tractor in region of 110 hp for around 20-25k with loader, near impossible to source with lowish hours sub 5-6000. thinking strongly of going for the jugular and buying my neighbours JD 2010 with loader and 4000 hours. exceptionally well minded . hes leasing the farm on long term .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

The case always seems value for money. They are a good tractor. Would a nice fresh 885 4wd do the job? Nice handy size with a good lock and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The Marshall 702 was a 2wd tractor according to Tractor data it was about 90HP. Are you sure you need a 4WD as opposed to a 2WD. You will get a good few tractors in the 90HP range for down around 10K without a loader and 3-4K would get you a good loader for it. However if you do want 4WD you will really have tp search to get a clean tractor in your budget range. Biggest problem in buying a tractor in that price range is no matter how careful you are you could have to spend another 2K in the first 18 months sorting out a few problems. If you have managed without a loader until now do you need one.

The UK may be an option if you have a contact there If you could go to 20K the market opens up a bit. Might I suggest a Case or Mc Cormick CX80, CX90 or CX 100 but they will cost you another 2-3K over the 15K. Below 15K you are looking at a Case 4230 if you can get a clean one, you would have a choice of a few Zetors or a Landini. I know nothing about Landini's. My advice is to go and drive a few tractors in the 80-100HP bracket in the 2WD and 4WD. Compare a few Cases, Landini's and Zeators with more basic massey's 390's. Then see if you really need a 4WD

A Leyland 702 was 70hp, and 2 wheel drive.
    There are a few Fiat 88-94 and 82-94 up on Done deal in your price range. (Anyone know what's the difference between them two models?)
    And there's a 90-90 up in the North at 7700 sterling, it needs a clutch. It has loader brackets shown in the picture, but no mention of it in the text.
    When you're used to a Leyland, the hand clutch in the Fiat will make you feel right at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

You’d buy a tidy zetor for that money to. Good working tractor. Only failing is the breaks are too soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

We bought a clean 1998 John Deere with a loader for just over 15k a week ago. Tractor was only for sale a few hours and I moved quick. Seller had plenty of buyers lined up. If not in a rush you'll pick up a good deal just keep a constant eye out on Donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    We bought a clean 1998 John Deere with a loader for just over 15k a week ago. Tractor was only for sale a few hours and I moved quick. Seller had plenty of buyers lined up. If not in a rush you'll pick up a good deal just keep a constant eye out on Donedeal.

What model. Im assuming a 10 series,if so you've gotten a good tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

What model. Im assuming a 10 series,if so you've gotten a good tractor

6400 with left hand shuttle so ideal for loader work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Never seen a left hand shuttle on a 00 series deere.

TBH that is the trick watch DD and be ready to move when you see a right one. But you need to know your tractors and what you are looking for. Priotize your needs and know what you are willing to compromise on. But it could take 6+months to find what suits

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They are a lovely tractor. Big enough for some big tractor work too like a 10 ft conditioner mower.

• Advertisement

1990 reg Lamborghini 774-90 advertised for €13k in Atkins in today’s journal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

1990 reg Lamborghini 774-90 advertised for €13k in Atkins in today’s journal

Big money

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Big money

The problem with buying any tractor that age out of a dealer is they have to allow for what could or will happen during warranty period. They charge well for that warranty. Often by managing to put another 5-7K together you will buy a tractor 10 years newer with more features. For the dealer there is less risk with the warranty period. However there may not be much difference between paying a lad 9-10K for an off farm condition one and one that has gone through the workshop and you have 3 months to suss out any other issue with the tractor.

Looking it up on tractor data it seems to have a forward reverse shuttle, I imagine it is 40K box and has good lift capacity capable of lifting two bales behind on a double handler. It seems to be a same engine on it. You imagine you would but it for 11-12K with a bit of bargaining. I know very little about them as tractors but where there is a dealer around they are popular enough. There is what seems to be a clean premium 950 down in West Cork on DD. It is there nearly a year now he was looking for 16K now 15500. No loader but I imagine that if you had 12-13K in your fist he must be tired of looking at it.

However not knowing much about them it hard to give advice. But I see a load of lads that buy these not as popular makes like Same, and Renault and they seem quite pleased with them

Slava Ukrainii

The problem with obscure makes that is obsolete parts. Particularly a 30 year old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Met a neighbor just now that’s retiring on the end Feb and he offered me a NH TM120 with 4400hrs on it. He asked me €16k and I offered €14. He didn’t say no...

Very clean tractor for its age.
    Pm if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Met a neighbor just now that’s retiring on the end Feb and he offered me a NH TM120 with 4400hrs on it. He asked me €16k and I offered €14. He didn’t say no...

Very clean tractor for its age.
    Pm if interested.

Id happily give the 16 and not ask questions...

Willfarman wrote: »
    The problem with obscure makes that is obsolete parts. Particularly a 30 year old one.

A lot more common than the OP’s Marshall thosugh

Hi, thanks for all the replys. A person we know knows someone who restores Marshall's and has a 702 fully restored. He is looking for 7000 but said he would give a couple of grand for our tractor. We are thinking of getting it for the mean time while we are looking for a long term solution. Parts arent too hard to get either, John Charnley a dealer over in the UK bought the rights to all of the parts after Marshall went bankrupt, also they are just Leyland's with a different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

maidhc wrote: »
    Id happily give the 16 and not ask questions...

Would there be much extra costs bringing something like that back. This is an expensive little country

• Advertisement

Would there be much extra costs bringing something like that back. This is an expensive little country

Not sure, we went to look at the tractor today. Its a lovely tractor, like brand new. Although it doesn't have an explorer cab like our current 702. The tractor was never registered, how hard would it be to register it, and what information do we need? We don't know the year of the tractor, but the owner said he can find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not sure, we went to look at the tractor today. Its a lovely tractor, like brand new. Although it doesn't have an explorer cab like our current 702. The tractor was never registered, how hard would it be to register it, and what information do we need? We don't know the year of the tractor, but the owner said he can find out.

To be honest, I wouldn't give 7k for a 702 with a QM cab. If it had the explorer cab, it would be worth it. Tractors with the QM cab wouldn't be very desirable.

To be honest, I wouldn't give 7k for a 702 with a QM cab. If it had the explorer cab, it would be worth it. Tractors with the QM cab wouldn't be very desirable.
    Yeah, if we are going to buy it the max we will pay is 4500 + our 702. But we are thinking it might be hard to sell our 702, so it makes sense to trade it instead.

Yeah, if we are going to buy it the max we will pay is 4500 + our 702. But we are thinking it might be hard to sell our 702, so it makes sense to trade it instead.

If you ever trade anything in the first thing to understand is there is a cash and a trade in price. In this case he is looking for 7K for a tractor that is hard to sell. You have to find out what is the export price of your tractor or the scrap price. While you may get a good trade in price now for your 702 the trade in price for the tractor you buy may be brutal as well. If I was in your position I would buy my replacement tractor and get what I get for the 702. Patience is a virtue. It takes 6-8 months to buy a tractor when you are buying second hand

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

€15,000 would get you a very good 390. This is a tractor that will work reliably for years to come if it gets looked after, and would be a step up from your current tractor without going overboard on fancy electronics and modern technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

If you ever trade anything in the first thing to understand is there is a cash and a trade in price. In this case he is looking for 7K for a tractor that is hard to sell. You have to find out what is the export price of your tractor or the scrap price. While you may get a good trade in price now for your 702 the trade in price for the tractor you buy may be brutal as well. If I was in your position I would buy my replacement tractor and get what I get for the 702. Patience is a virtue. It takes 6-8 months to buy a tractor when you are buying second hand

No it doesn't. We went looking 3 weeks ago and found one. It will be here today or tomorrow. Granted were spending more than 15k but if your looking talk to a few dealerships. They always have something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

No it doesn't. We went looking 3 weeks ago and found one. It will be here today or tomorrow. Granted were spending more than 15k but if your looking talk to a few dealerships. They always have something

I have been looking for over 12 months for a nice tractor, and still haven't found the "right" one. I'd have a similar budget to the OP.

Most stuff for 15k is absolute junk, and for 30k you aren't doing much better. Sometimes you can do OK for under 10k though... funny things do come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

maidhc wrote: »
    I have been looking for over 12 months for a nice tractor, and still haven't found the "right" one. I'd have a similar budget to the OP.

Most stuff for 15k is absolute junk, and for 30k you aren't doing much better. Sometimes you can do OK for under 10k though... funny things do come along.
    I wasn't prepared to spend more than 30k or even any money tbh but the right tractor was available for a bit more and we just bit the bullet our second tractor was doing nothing only on a feeder for the winter because the lifts were always giving trouble and our other tractor was clocking up big hours and depreciating fast. 2 tractors with loaders here now so should make things a bit easier. Plan is to keep it for 4 years and trade it for a new one when the other tractor is paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wasn't prepared to spend more than 30k or even any money tbh but the right tractor was available for a bit more and we just bit the bullet our second tractor was doing nothing only on a feeder for the winter because the lifts were always giving trouble and our other tractor was clocking up big hours and depreciating fast. 2 tractors with loaders here now so should make things a bit easier. Plan is to keep it for 4 years and trade it for a new one when the other tractor is paid for

Another Massey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi, thanks for all the replys. A person we know knows someone who restores Marshall's and has a 702 fully restored. He is looking for 7000 but said he would give a couple of grand for our tractor. We are thinking of getting it for the mean time while we are looking for a long term solution. Parts arent too hard to get either, John Charnley a dealer over in the UK bought the rights to all of the parts after Marshall went bankrupt, also they are just Leyland's with a different name.

7000 Euro for a 702 Marshall?
    That's about 4000 more than I'd dream of giving.
    Whatever you do, and for your own sanity and safety, buy something with oil immersed brakes.

It all depends on your budget and what you are willing to settle for. When you g above the 20k bracket number of tractors available opens up. The further below the 20k you go the less selection you have and the more choices you have to make. At 15k and if you are looking for a 4wd with a loader you will find a lot of tired rubbish. You have to make the choice between buying off a dealer or off a private seller. The majority of tractors sold in this bracket are sold privately which adds extra cost in the form of checking out what you are buying.

If you are buying above 25k there is much more available from dealer. I bought a tractor last autumn. TBH my budget was flexible and I spend 5-7k less than what I had available. In the end I went for a very clean 2002 CX 90 with a Rossmore loader rather than spend 23-25k on a more modern tractors. TBH I am delighted with the tractor even though it might not ticket other people's requirements

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I must be searching about 9 months now for "the right one" but not too much luck so far. Looking for 4wd, loader not essential, in good condition obviously. Not fussy on models. I'll throw it out there - if anyone knows of something along these lines that's genuine, please feel free to PM me. Whether it be yourself or a neighbor upgrading or retiring or whatever, keep me in mind!

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I must be searching about 9 months now for "the right one" but not too much luck so far. Looking for 4wd, loader not essential, in good condition obviously. Not fussy on models. I'll throw it out there - if anyone knows of something along these lines that's genuine, please feel free to PM me. Whether it be yourself or a neighbor upgrading or retiring or whatever, keep me in mind!

What's the budget? What size? 4 or 6 cylinder?

There was a saying on Saturday night fussy gets no pussy!

Willfarman wrote: »
    There was a saying on Saturday night fussy gets no pussy!

And just like on a Saturday night picking the wrong one can leave you with an expensive bill. As well it depend on you needs at the time are you just looking for a one night stand or something more permanent

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

It's not just farming I'm learning about he. Life lessons. Thanks guys!

true that bass but you have to take a chance on something if you want value for money.

4 cylinder... I thought I would be able to get something in good condition for the 10-15k range.

I wouldn't say I'm fussy, more fear of spending that much money and getting myself in more trouble.

4 cylinder... I thought I would be able to get something in good condition for the 10-15k range.

I wouldn't say I'm fussy, more fear of spending that much money and getting myself in more trouble.

In that price bracket you would want to be very fussy. Lot of tractors will be private sales and they will be 25+ years old unless you are looking at a 2wd. Trying to find a fresh tractor in that price range is nearly impossible

Slava Ukrainii

In that price bracket you would want to be very fussy. Lot of tractors will be private sales and they will be 25+ years old unless you are looking at a 2wd. Trying to find a fresh tractor in that price range is nearly impossible

Agreed, you'd be better off to spend the extra few euro the first day and have a rightish yoke under you. Clean second hand tractors seem to be appreciating in value.

Thanks for advice. It feels hard to justify such a big expenditure when the mart trade has gone the way it has. However a tractor is a necessity, and what we have has seen better days. What would ye suggest going for if I did push on with a few more £££.... Something like a tl90?

• Advertisement
Advertisement