Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donuts, just a Dublin thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Irish people try Krispy Kreme.

https://youtu.be/nRL8W1w_gag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bagel shops. There's been loads of them.

I don't see what the problem is.

I don't like donuts at all but at least we have more choice of food nowadays unlike years ago.

I didn't say it was a problem. I just don't get it. I'd rather go into a shop and have a choice of cakes and buns. I don't know anyone else that likes donuts enough to frequent a shop that sells nothing but them. I just can't imagine such a shop lasting for long once the novelty has passed. I'm not from Dublin so maybe it is just a Dublin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

McGaggs wrote: »
    I believe the culchies are just getting their first influx of cupcake shops now.

Oh go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I didn't say it was a problem. I just don't get it. I'd rather go into a shop and have a choice of cakes and buns. I don't know anyone else that likes donuts enough to frequent a shop that sells nothing but them. I just can't imagine such a shop lasting for long once the novelty has passed. I'm not from Dublin so maybe it is just a Dublin thing.

Watch the video above. They're like cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well whatever the next fad will be, I think its gonna be savoury, as they tend to alternate with sweet. We've had over the past 10-15 years (from most recent):

-donuts
    -burritos (not arguing, a nice burrito is a treat)
    -cupcakes
    -"deluxe" burgers
    -shake shops
    -noodles

A lack of decent bakeries in Dublin doesnt help, most people would settle for stuff bought in Dunnes/Tesco or beside the coffee makers in petrol stations which is terrible, mass produced crap (used to work in a bakery making that kind of stuff).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

The first and biggest doughnut 'brand' in Cork folded recently. They were more concerned with their social media presence than selling doughnuts.

Tbh I don't understand how anyone thought it was a viable long term business idea. Who goes for weekly doughnuts? Similar sized food chains on the other hand, you'd go there for lunch every week etc, if working in town.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SuperQuinn/Supervalu jam doughnuts FTW...
    31747853_10156372466154700_7947943818559488000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=41e969f5a5262432748f67c190059d05&oe=5C626362

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I have to plus 1 on those SuperValu jam doughnuts.

Anyone that says the likes of Boston doughnuts or Krusty kremes is better can go and burn in the 6th circle of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

thefloss wrote: »
    The first and biggest doughnut 'brand' in Cork folded recently. They were more concerned with their social media presence than selling doughnuts.

Tbh I don't understand how anyone thought it was a viable long term business idea. Who goes for weekly doughnuts? Similar sized food chains on the other hand, you'd go there for lunch every week etc, if working in town.

Gelato seems to be the next fad in Cork. Can’t imagine there will be much demand in the middle of December but people are weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

There's a few of them in Cork. Never bother with them myself so can't really say how popular they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have a soft spot for jam doughnuts, they are eaten on pancake Tuesday where I come from. And eating doughnuts once per year is just about enough for me although I probably didn't have any for the last 15 years. The latest craze just perplexes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Big massive kebabs are also another thing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Morto for OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

tenor.gif

:D:D

Thanks for that, my God ... remember when the Simpsons was a great show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Well country people would be more interested in potatoes and cabbage and boiled ham. Anything more exotic will cause their turf addled brains to go into meltdown.

Dublin folk on the other hand have a more refined taste, and are more willing to try things like spice burgers, battered sausages and curry chips.

Gotta hand it to you artanevilla, you got these Micks' numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

D3V!L wrote: »
    At 5-600 calories a pop I wouldn't even look at one of those Crispy Creme or "fancy" donuts.

Ah here. 200-370ish for most of Krispy Kreme ones.

More calories in a bagel than your standard Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut.

What I think of doughnut fad;

1) People only eating them because of the hype and they want the instagram are tossers.

2) People going on about how over rated they are and that they taste crap are also tossers.

Don't get the hype for Krispy Kreme but also don't get the hate. They're actually damn tasty and **** all over anything I've tasted from Aungier or Offbeat or the big Rolling Donut.

Although nothing has ever come close to the original Rolling Donut stand on O'Connell street with the little cinnamon ones. They are bloody heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Are the rest of us not notionsy enough?

Hunks of fried dough covered in sugar. So very notionsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vita nova wrote: »
    Oh go away!
    Culshie culshie culshie culshie culshie culshie culshie!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I like doughnuts, I've even made my own on occasion which turned out delicious.......but they are a cheap ass sugar / grease hit - 5 for a quid in a paper bag from Tesco, or maybe 2 quid from a van on the side of the road.

Anyone who hands over €50 quid for a dozen box is an absolute cockwomble!

Big massive kebabs are also another thing now.

They are? Where?

I like me an auld doner kebab so I do. A big massive one would be even better I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I like doughnuts, I've even made my own on occasion which turned out delicious.......but they are a cheap ass sugar / grease hit - 5 for a quid in a paper bag from Tesco, or maybe 2 quid from a van on the side of the road.

I think that's the primary reason for the amount of places selling them, the markup must be out of this world.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's slightly unfair.
    You are not including the whole experience of standing in a queue like a pleb for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

People making their own coffee, that'll be the next thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I f*cken love donuts so much. I'll eat the sh*te ones, I'll eat the quality one, I'll eat the scraps of other people's. Love em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There were fcukloads in Cork, some seem to be closing now.

Frozen yoghurt places springing up to replace them.

People are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Sky King wrote: »
    Gin and tonic, 'craft' beer, burger restaurants, doughnut outlets... wonder what the next food fad will be?

Whiskey distillerys seem to be popping up all over the place recently. Asian "street food" is another fad that's still on the go. Expensive "protein balls" and other protein infused confectionery seem to be the "in" thing at the moment also.

That's slightly unfair.
    You are not including the whole experience of standing in a queue like a pleb for a few hours.

I suppose.

Might be better craic than it appears!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Only an idiot would queue up for an hour for a donut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A big massive one would be even better I'd imagine.

Ooh Matron!
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    People making their own coffee, that'll be the next thing.

Not before passing it through their weasel/ferret/dog/cat/budgie I hope. Now that's Flavourtown!
    There were fcukloads in Cork, some seem to be closing now.

Frozen yoghurt places springing up to replace them.

People are weird.

People are Americanised and will eat whatever was the popular thing over there a few years before. Prepare for the inevitable shortening to "fro-yo".
    Warper wrote: »
    Only an idiot would queue up for an hour for a donut

59 mins and I'm out. I'm no fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Back in my day prosecco and burritos were the fashionable drink and food. 2 or 3 years later and it suddenly was gin and burgers.... And what i was with wasn't it, and what was it seemed weird and scary to me.

Advertisement