Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i3 options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

ewj1978 wrote: »
    But at that price I'd be now considering going across the water to get one(if I could find one at a decent spec/price ratio)

Rough guide : https://tesla-info.com/BMW/inventory.html any help ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Me too looking at my second EV and i see being an i3.

However,i am not convinced about the Rex motor...i cant find too much info except is a box / capsulated engine sitting in the back of the car.
    Most dealers will not touch,just replacement from BMW.
    In event of fault,huge bill to replace,offseting any saving from the EV side...

What do you have / know about the Rex engine,please !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Its a 670cc motorbike engine. It supposedly needs to be serviced only every 24months and it'll kick in every now and again to keep itself in good nick.
    Its something I'm not concerned about tbh, as my travel will 99% be done with pure EV and I'll only use the REX when charge points are out of order or the 3 times a year I travel from Cork to Belfast.
    As for servicing it'll have to be done in BMW anyway to keep the battery warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Speak to Phil Fitzgerald in Electric Autos. He can source one to your spec/needs and is competitive on price.

I bought one in Scotland last month (had asked Phil but then found this one and pulled the trigger). It's got a year's warranty left and I'll probably extend that by a year just to keep it in warranty until I change again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bf

Heading up to the big smoke on Wednesday and was going to go try out this i3: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-electric-vehicle-with-range-extender/19316

but, and its a pretty big but, I'm fairly sure the 33kwh(94ah) battery didn't come out till end 2016/ early 2017.
    If it is the 22kw(60ah) it wouldn't be suitable for my commute. I've messaged them but I'm sure they're wrong.

There's this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-0-0-94ah-rex-hatchback/20428242 but it reads like a scam to me. You give us €50 and...

There's also this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-bmw-i3-high-speclodge-range-extender-170bhp/20242260
    But at that price I'd be now considering going across the water to get one(if I could find one at a decent spec/price ratio)

That second one isn't a scam - it's an auction buying service in the UK. He has a website and You Tube channel & Chris is excellent to deal with - I have bought 2 cars off him (not EVs) in the last year. I don't think there is huge savings in auction & retail EV cars in the UK at the moment, but like everything do your research

• Advertisement

Should edit my first post, as I've actually done a search on the lad and it seems legit.
    You basically pay him to get a car at one of the trade auctions.

Heading up to the big smoke on Wednesday and was going to go try out this i3: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-electric-vehicle-with-range-extender/19316

but, and its a pretty big but, I'm fairly sure the 33kwh(94ah) battery didn't come out till end 2016/ early 2017.
    If it is the 22kw(60ah) it wouldn't be suitable for my commute. I've messaged them but I'm sure they're wrong.
    And i was right, for once. The dealer came back to me and confirmed that the incorrect data was put on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

rolion wrote: »
    Me too looking at my second EV and i see being an i3.

However,i am not convinced about the Rex motor...i cant find too much info except is a box / capsulated engine sitting in the back of the car.
    Most dealers will not touch,just replacement from BMW.
    In event of fault,huge bill to replace,offseting any saving from the EV side...

What do you have / know about the Rex engine,please !?
    Ask Mad_Lad. He’s the REX bible here.

peposhi wrote: »
    Ask Mad_Lad. He’s the REX bible here.

And this is where to find him...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057812141/11/#post108819241

I've spoken to quite a few people lately looking into the i3 REx. Sign of the times with the crappy infrastructure I suppose.

Thanks.

I'm keeping on eye on autotrader UK for an i3 94Ah then is 125Ah...why don't use Kwh like everyone !!?
    Also, with or without the Rex, very tricky to chose.
    Understood they increased the battery size and dropped the Rex.
    Also, from UK zero VRT and I can claim the UK VAT zero back there...

My current van lease expires in next summer time have time to make my mind but still confused, too many options and names...but definitively going for one, as a work car replacing my ice van.

Like the lane assist, auto cruise / adaptive cruise.
    Guess basic electrical and comfort specs like a Nissan Tekna.
    Not too many with leather seats... is there a model type or name that has full options of gadgets that you have and not need !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,728 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've spoken to quite a few people lately looking into the i3 REx. Sign of the times with the crappy infrastructure I suppose.

Combined with the fact that a REx doesn't seem to cost any more than a BEV i3. The extender is basically a free safeguard. I know it needs a bit of maintenance now and then, the motor tax is a bit more expensive, the tolls not as cheap, but still a very cheap life saver if you regularly drive beyond the electric range of your car.

Big plans for improvements to the public network, but there doesn't seem to be anything happening yet. Ionity is coming, but they're not here yet either. Without either of those two actually happening, I'd be reluctant to rely on public fast charging even the once or twice I do in the year

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'm keeping on eye on autotrader UK for an i3 94Ah then is 125Ah...why don't use Kwh like everyone !!?
    Also, with or without the Rex, very tricky to chose.
    Understood they increased the battery size and dropped the Rex.
    Also, from UK zero VRT and I can claim the UK VAT zero back there...

My current van lease expires in next summer time have time to make my mind but still confused, too many options and names...but definitively going for one, as a work car replacing my ice van.

Like the lane assist, auto cruise / adaptive cruise.
    Guess basic electrical and comfort specs like a Nissan Tekna.
    Not too many with leather seats... is there a model type or name that has full options of gadgets that you have and not need !?

Nissan Leaf Tekna is definitely not basic. A Scoda Octavia wih all bells and whistles would cost you new about €5k more.

What is your daily routine distance to cover and your furthest regular journey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The poor REX got a bit of a swipe from Declan Colley in the Irish Examiner today. But then all EVs got the thumbs down. Says there not suitable for anyone living in the countryside, FFS.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/motoring/motoringreviews/bmw-i3-electric-dream-limited-in-its-capabilities-890663.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Water John wrote: »
    The poor REX got a bit of a swipe from Declan Colley in the Irish Examiner today. But then all EVs got the thumbs down. Says there not suitable for anyone living in the countryside, FFS.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/motoring/motoringreviews/bmw-i3-electric-dream-limited-in-its-capabilities-890663.html

Oooh, that wont go down well here! :)
    The overall verdict: A city car, really

And he clearly doesnt understand what brake regen is with this comment as he concludes its moot because EV's slow down too much when you take your foot off the gas! :rolleyes:
    The braking-based energy regeneration system is actually quite cool but, trouble is it’s an electric car and once you take your foot off the gas — there is no gas and you slow dramatically, obviating the need for brakes. So the energy regeneration thing is a bit moot.

He also mentions that the brake lights dont come on with regen.... I thought they did in the i3?

Many years ago an accident assessor puled the hand clutch on the tractor and said the handbrake was weak!!! Declan should be blushing too. At least if you don't know what you're talking about, stay sthum.

Water John wrote: »

Loads of b......x. I live in the country side with 2EVs... no range extenders whatsoever...
    Clearly the EVs are not for everyone as of yet, but the way it’s been presented in the article is just shocking...

He's the Motoring Correspondent!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

KCross wrote: »
    He also mentions that the brake lights dont come on with regen.... I thought they did in the i3?

Yes they do. At quite slow speeds as well. It's only in you very slowly ease off that they don't.

I live in Donegal and have survived a long time with a Leaf and now an i3.

And I can confirm that the brake lights definitely come with the regen. I've checked.

whats his twitter account? man needs correcting. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,728 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lazy and unprofessional article. Even "borrowed" the pictures from the internet.

"But no, it still took another multiple of hours to get the thing back up to full capacity. I’m reluctant to say how many in case the landlord ups the rent."

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Lazy and unprofessional article. Even "borrowed" the pictures from the internet.

"But no, it still took another multiple of hours to get the thing back up to full capacity. I’m reluctant to say how many in case the landlord ups the rent."

:rolleyes:

He's not wrong though, EVs aren't suitable for drivers in the countryside who are looking to charge their car from a USB adapter they got with their Kindle 5 years ago. /s

Of course if you install an actual home charger using the grant (approx €200) you now wake up everyday with a fully charged car with more than enough range, but he's a journalist we shouldn't let facts get in the way of hyperbole.

He's meant to be the motoring Journalist for a national newspaper. He sounds like a dinosaur who only likes V8's and things that make noises when he drives.

Lads, what is the real world range of a 151 REx? Mad_Lad would get 170-200kms out of his 94Amh one, how is with the older battery?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

peposhi wrote: »
    Lads, what is the real world range of a 151 REx? Mad_Lad would get 170-200kms out of his 94Amh one, how is with the older battery?!?

I'm not one for calculating these things but we drove 125km to Glengarriff during the year and it made it there on pure EV. Have the Rex so was never worried.

Drove 54km today and there is 56% showing on the GOM translating to 66km so that's a a theoretical total of 120km which is what the GOM suggested this morning. Bear in mind that motorway speeds are only about 10km of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Good review. Always enjoyed watching these guys.
    https://youtu.be/DMdX-dmLBWs

The fact that the center armrest doesn't extend would be a deal breaker for me. I would have to look for some assesory as I drive like the tall guy in the vid with the seat allll the way back(long legs) and as low to the floor that I can. Think the seat would be too high but it is a city car so no fault of it's own.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Does anyone has a set of specs that can pick ,mix and/or chose from the models or years,please !?
    Very hard to get it as confused with the names ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3

60Ah(22kw) with or without REX
    94Ah(33kw)with or without REX
    120Ah(42kw)no REX

As for specs. This is BMW baby! the worlds your oyster!

Advertisement