Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford or Fiat

Options
  • 05-12-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My dad is looking to purchase a new camper for his retirement. Currently he is looking at a benimar on a ford transit cab and the second option is using a fiat cab with 2.3 engine, both are euro 6.

I seen some horror stories online about the new ford 2.0 Diesel engine (injectors)

Any idea if these stories are true?

Also would you consider benimar to be a good camper manufacturer?

I would be grateful for any advice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think something like 75% of Motorhome/Campers are Ducato based, if nothing else it means a great level of knowledge about the base vehicles in camping circles.
    My preference is Fiat but others might have their own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Bear in mind people usually only post online when they have problems but the transit issues are well documented by actual owners e.g.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/2017-Ford-transit-mk8-Issues/46754/

euro 6 ducato platform isn't without its issues, most common complaints, fuel filter leaking (very latest models may have new housing), throttle valve still common failure, make sure egr recalls done, loom chaffing behind headlights, sumps rusting through after 2 years (unfathomable), some complaints of strut mounts failing on heavier vans but mostly normal enough complaints

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Thanks guys, I appreciate the reply’s

I came across the outandaboutlive link, might be best to try and find a euro 5

Currently he’s looking at a Dethleffs Trend Fiat Ducato 2.3 150BHP and Benimar Tessoro Ford 2.0 170 Bhp

How would you rate Dethleffs and Benimar?

Thanks

My preference would be Dethleffs.
    regarding engines, more power from a smaller displacement means a more highly stressed engine imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WayneH

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My preference would be Dethleffs.
    regarding engines, more power from a smaller displacement means a more highly stressed engine imho.

There is a school of thought that working a smaller engine harder keeps it clean, certainly its positive for diesel vehicles with DPF filters as the engine working harder helps the DPF to burn off the particles, this maybe negated by adblue.

• Advertisement

No doubt that working diesels live a more productive life, but remember a motorhome is a van running at or very near to maximum weight at any given time and as such they are working a lot harder than an average van which isn't carrying as much weight.
    a 2.0 litre pulling a 3000kg plus box is going to be working hard on a hill or facing into a headwind.
    My preference would always be for a bigger displacement engine that doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same torque.
    The old Ducato came in a 3.0 litre with 180 hp and 400nm the modern ones are all 2.3 and vary between 130 and 180 depending on state of tune.
    I'm not sure what Ford are getting out of the 2.0 lump but 170 is probably not far off its maximum output.
    The 2006 to 2013 2.2 gave a lot of trouble in motorhome applications with split pistons and holes blown in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If you can get your hand on a 2005/07 2.8 JTD Power (only available in LHD), they are Euro 4 and give a totally bombproof 146 bhp at 3,600 rpm and a flat 310 Nm between 1,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm.

I know you're looking at a 12 or 13 year-old vehicle, but a good upmarket one could be a better buy than a newer budget model.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I'm very happy with my 1999 Dethleffs, 2.8 iDTD and 3.2 ton vehicle.
    Can't go to London... .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JonMac wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my 1999 Dethleffs, 2.8 iDTD and 3.2 ton vehicle.
    Can't go to London... .

Or a lot of French and German cities, but soon there'll be no diesels in any city so even new ones will be as useless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Had a Fiat Talento 1.9 diesel for about 5 years,
    definitely not enough power even for the small Talento with the Dethleffs
    body..

Family member had a Ducato Weinsberg (spelling) with a 2.4 engine,
    loads of power.

2c.

• Advertisement

If I was to get a "modern" motor I'd pick up a VW LT35.
    RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have a Benimar on a 2.8 JTD Fiat (2003). From the date of purchase (new) to now, the Fiat part has been unfailiingly reliable, easy to service*, and delight to drive in all conditions and terrains. The Benimar component, on the other hand ... well, probably no worse than the "industry standard" for miscellaneous things going wrong over 15 years (even if a lot of them went wrong within the first three months :( ).

It's been a while since I visited a showroom, but from what I remember of my compare-and-contrast days, the Dethleffs were definitely of a higher build quality, but maybe Benimar have upped their game in the meantime. In any case, despite the cheapiness of some fixings, fifteen years later my Benimar is still in constant use and is a very comfortable, functional, home-away-from-home (or festival HQ :D )

* FWIW, some of the parts I order (wipers, exhaust components come to mind) are actually Ford Transit references rather than Ducato.

Advertisement