Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evergreen tree help

Options
  • 12-06-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just wondering if anyone can help. Have an evergreen tree that's going brown. Had this issue before and watering seem to help. One in particular has a black soot like cover on the branches and spines never seen it before but this tree seems to be going brown at a rapid rate. Anyone Have an idea or seen this before?. Maybe it's not linked to the Browning but just thought I'd check.

Thanks r

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭standardg60

A close up pic would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey thanks for replying can I ask how do I apply a photo to my post. I don't see an option to add one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its probably a side effect of aphids. high(ish) pressure soapy water might be enough to clear the aphids and the mould will then sort itself out.

looksee wrote: »
    Its probably a side effect of aphids. high(ish) pressure soapy water might be enough to clear the aphids and the mould will then sort itself out.

Would you say rinsing the tree with a hose and water would be ok?.

It might help - the soap seems to stick to the aphids and help dislodge them, but no harm trying just water. Can you see the aphids?

• Advertisement

It might help - the soap seems to stick to the aphids and help dislodge them, but no harm trying just water. Can you see the aphids?
    No just black the black on the inside when you pull down the branch and the needles turning brown. Wish I could add pictures.

Ok, maybe its something else. Someone else may have ideas.

Ok, maybe its something else. Someone else may have ideas.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A few questions for you:

1. Does it look like a fine dusting of sticky black mould, but that covers trunk and leaves alike, in large areas?
    2. Are other trees affected, esp. fruit trees?
    3. Are you based in Ireland?

Could it be sooty mould?

D777EDD5-A0C3-84EB-5706CD8D8FBC592D.jpg

Or this, too.

New Home wrote: »
    A few questions for you:

1. Does it look like a fine dusting of sticky black mould, but that covers trunk and leaves alike, in large areas?
    2. Are other trees affected, esp. fruit trees?
    3. Are you based in Ireland?

Could it be sooty mould?

D777EDD5-A0C3-84EB-5706CD8D8FBC592D.jpg

Or this, too.

Hey it's like the first picture but on the second picture tree type if you know what I mean. I'm in Ireland and I have say 80 10 foot trees and 6 or 7 are brown with this black on them some out the front and some out the back. I h ave pictures but can't add them on the phone I'll try on a pc.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement