Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo brings his partner to meet ultra conservative VP Mike Pence

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

He and his partner were invited by the VP last year. Nothing story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Where was his wife today? Did not see her in any of the pictures. Was wondering who the woman in the pictures with them was....took trawling through a few pics to find out she was Pence's sister. Never saw her before.

Wife is at the special Olympics in Abu Dhabi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Allinall wrote: »
    How the fcuk do you think he was elected as leader of FG if the majority did not want him as leader?

The grass roots members (which is around 20k) had a majority preference for Coveney but the Parlimentary Party Members (who hold 65% overall voting power) preferred Varadkar.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

Edit: I don't like either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Once a few cabinet heavyweights had endorsed Varadkar, the contest was over. Coveney is a far more modest, reflective and I daresay a more ethically-driven politician. But he's widely seen as a bore and as ineffectual, despite his obvious abilities. He has the cool head required of a Taoiseach without being remotely cool.

I actually think throughout the Brexit negotiations Simon Coveney has impressed far more than Varadkar. IMO Coveney is a far more astute politician and would have made the better Taoiseach.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He certainly hid well, I hadn't a breeze he was gay prior to that Marian finucane interview, used to hear it said him and lucinda creighton were an item in college

Yeah I've heard the rumour about him and Lucy, not sure if its true but I do know they were very close in Trinity. I knew he was gay circa 2013 when he was dating an openly gay journalist. All the media knew he was gay, Leinster House knew it but the nation didn't. Thats why when he did his teary eyed interview with Miriam o'Callaghan just a few weeks before the same sex referndum I felt sick inside, he basically hid in the shadows for years before hopping over the fence and joining the marathon for the final mile. I know straight people who did a hell of a lot more campaigning for a Yes vote than Leo ever did. He is supposed to be a leader but the only thing he is led by is the polls and public opinion. Once the political wind shifts then Leo shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

strandroad wrote: »
    Mrs Pence aka "mother" is a teacher in a Christian purity anti-LGBT school too.
    Did they get to meet her? Will she get in trouble with the school? Is it seen as "condoning"?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46898143

No sign of her there today. Pence's sister was with him as he welcomed Leo and Matt. Karen conveniently out of the country, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Coveney will probably have his day. It's a dog eat dog world though and Varadker was the better predator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Is he bringing Simon Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Muahahaha wrote: »

Once a few cabinet heavyweights had endorsed Varadkar, the contest was over. Coveney is a far more modest, reflective and I daresay a more ethically-driven politician. But he's widely seen as a bore and as ineffectual, despite his obvious abilities. He has the cool head required of a Taoiseach without being remotely cool.

I actually think throughout the Brexit negotiations Simon Coveney has impressed far more than Varadkar. IMO Coveney is a far more astute politician and would have made the better Taoiseach.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He certainly hid well, I hadn't a breeze he was gay prior to that Marian finucane interview, used to hear it said him and lucinda creighton were an item in college

Yeah I've heard the rumour about him and Lucy, not sure if its true but I do know they were very close in Trinity. I knew he was gay circa 2013 when he was dating an openly gay journalist. All the media knew he was gay, Leinster House knew it but the nation didn't. Thats why when he did his teary eyed interview with Miriam o'Callaghan just a few weeks before the same sex referndum I felt sick inside, he basically hid in the shadows for years before hopping over the fence and joining the marathon for the final mile. I know straight people who did a hell of a lot more campaigning for a Yes vote than Leo ever did. He is supposed to be a leader but the only thing he is led by is the polls and public opinion. Once the political wind shifts then Leo shifts.
    There was some woman reporter from tv3 that came out same time as Leo. Una I think her name was . Haven't seen her since !

There was some woman reporter from tv3 that came out same time as Leo. Una I think her name was . Haven't seen her since !
    Ursula Halligan?

I reckon you havent seen much if her because she chose to retire. She was/is no shrinking violet, having broken the story of Brian Lenihan's terminal illness when other journalists were holding their tongues. I don't think its fair to anyone to (even unintentionally) imply that her retirement was related to her coming-out.

Especially since another person who did so has been elected as An Taoiseach.

Advertisement