Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo brings his partner to meet ultra conservative VP Mike Pence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Right so all is well in the country....

all is grand - by most international metrics Ireland consistently ranks up there are one of the best places in the world to live..

sure we've got our problems but almost every country does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone who is seriously anti-gay has an issue with their own sexuality, and will probably come out of the closet eventually, IMHO.

Thats nonsense...internet logic.
    You can disapprove of gayness without hating it or being a phobia.

Pence voted to fund electro therapy which is voluntary.
    Some posters here makinh it sound like pence sent gays to a gulag north koren style...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

lawred2 wrote: »
    all is grand - by most international metrics Ireland consistently ranks up there are one of the best places in the world to live..

And this is why we've record breaking crises and continue to vote for the same shams. 'Sure......'. My hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

lawred2 wrote: »

Sureism and whataboutery. I really really detest this line that is constantly thrown out. Yeah let's not aim for continuous improvement and just accept the mediocrity in our services and non accountability.

No wonder we have constant basket case scandals. Must be a severe case of rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fair play, nice double date, who is footing the bill for the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just do your ****ing job Leo and try fix the ever growing myriad of problems in our country instead of the constant vanity projects.

This exactly. Can he not just go over there as the Taoiseach of this country without bringing his sexuality into it..??

Why does everything have to revolve around sexuality and how Ireland is a different country now. Ya we get that, but you've a job to do and an extremely important one at that.

I don't recall Enda Kenny discussing his sexuality too often with Obama...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

In the spirit of bringing his boyfriend to visit with Homophobes, perhaps Leo can bring Matt along to visit his buddies in the Clonskeagh Mosque.
    You know, the one he has visited several times..the one with the leader who is on record as having advocated for the death sentence for Homosexuals.
    That awkward bit of info doesn't seem to bother Leo, maybe Matt won't mind either. Although they should avoid any trips to catch the view from the rooftop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

UsBus wrote: »
    This exactly. Can he not just go over there as the Taoiseach of this country without bringing his sexuality into it..??

Why does everything have to revolve around sexuality and how Ireland is a different country now. Ya we get that, but you've a job to do and an extremely important one at that.

I don't recall Enda Kenny discussing his sexuality too often with Obama...

He didn't bring his sexuality into it. It's the media that are bringing his sexuality into it.

Edit: In fact yesterday in an interview with RTE he was asked about this and he responded that he hadn't thought much about it at all with all that's going on in London.

• Advertisement

Bigots coming out of the woodwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

biko wrote: »
    It's easy to be all up in Pence's face when Trump is actively working on LGBT rights

Probably because Pence likely has some input on those LGBT rights Trump has been working pretty hard on destroying.

Much like Enda mocking Trump to his face, Leo deserves credit here. A nice, subtle enough middle digger to the homophobes in the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just do your ****ing job Leo and try fix the ever growing myriad of problems in our country instead of the constant vanity projects.

Leo knew that the Irish media would love this kind of fluff story.

Seriously, if this is some sort of significant moment, the country lacks ambition for itself

Pence voted to fund electro therapy which is voluntary.
    Some posters here makinh it sound like pence sent gays to a gulag north koren style...

From listening to the media since yesterday, you'd think it was an ISIS regional leader he took his partner to see

In the spirit of bringing his boyfriend to visit with Homophobes, perhaps Leo can bring Matt along to visit his buddies in the Clonskeagh Mosque.
    You know, the one he has visited several times..the one with the leader who is on record as having advocated for the death sentence for Homosexuals.
    That awkward bit of info doesn't seem to bother Leo, maybe Matt won't mind either. Although they should avoid any trips to catch the view from the rooftop.

The Liberal media only care when Christians question the gay lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Wonder what Mick The Bull would have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

This cheered me up no end. I am sure that bigot is delighted with having to meet a gay irish leader.
    Delighted.

Mike Pence extended an invite on last year's trip for an Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to bring his partner Matt Barrett this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand why there is a thread on this. Did Enda Kenny leave the wife at home when he went? I think Leo would prefer if the media focused on the practical benefits of the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No minister should have travelled anywhere this year they should be working and planning for the worst scenario

Unless they know something we don't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pence would have no problem having a meal with Leo's partner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The Liberal media only care when Christians question the gay lifestyle

Yes its true, I see the school in Birmingham has suspended its lessons on LGBT rights in the face of Muslim protest.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/14/birmingham-primary-school-suspends-lgbt-lessons-indefinitely-parkfield-protest-parents?CMP=twt_gu

It has to be said that this situation arising was inevitable.

I can't help but notice total silence and lack of outrage from the media and LGBT journalists.

Mullalley, O'Gorman et al seem to have nothing to say about this at all.

If I was gay I would be feeling somewhat betrayed by these people.

Gays in the UK are about to find out where exactly they stand on the Intersectional Hierarchy...its not near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's easy to be all up in Pence's face when Trump is actively working on LGBT rights

I can't wait for Leo to bring his partner to Iran

It took longer than i expected but yup.... there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Grayson wrote: »

Pence was trying to drop the hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Blatant fishing for social media approval

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

sabat wrote: »
    Blatant fishing for social media approval

Or just the countries leader doing exactly what every one before him has done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I can't wait for Leo to bring his partner to Iran

It took longer than i expected but yup.... there it is.

Leo goes to America.. And the usual suspects just start wailing about Muslims.

After hours your hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Fair play, nice double date, who is footing the bill for the trip?
    We are !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Or just the countries leader doing exactly what every one before him has done?

Do we have a list of every official engagement Varadkar has brought his boyfriend to? I have no doubt he deliberately chose to bring him to meet Pence to cause a stir and get the extra publicity, precisely because of Pence's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand why there is a thread on this. Did Enda Kenny leave the wife at home when he went? I think Leo would prefer if the media focused on the practical benefits of the visit.
    Which are what exactly ?

• Advertisement

Don't know of these trips achieve anything other than the exchange of the usual platitudes.
    Better to maintain the contacts than not though I suppose.

Advertisement