Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy gets 20k for walking into bollard

• 13-03-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/bollard-blanchardstown-shopping-centre-4540637-Mar2019/

Seriously where has all personal responsibility gone.
    Thinking the mother flung him at the bollard to get a claim, along the same lines as the woman trying to sue after slipping on grass instead of using the pavement.

p.s. couldn't find any other threads on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

200 million other visits without incident. Surely the supervising adult(ie his mother) not be paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can someone show me on Google Maps the height of these bollards? Did he have a need to wear glasses and the mother didn't bankroll them, should she be locked up for neglect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Dopey Bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

This country has gone to the dogs when people can get claims like that. No wonder insurance premiums are so high....which puts prices in the shop there high...so more people will shop on the internet, more often than not buying from abroad where businesses do not pay for such absurd claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another one yesterday which a retail store assistant tripped over a cardboard box in a store room and walked away with a payout

• Advertisement
    M

I suppose the one plus is the €20k claim will be Googlable for life with their names entered in to a search, the money is not even a fraction of slave wages at that huge price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is it me or are these sort of claims somewhat more prevalent from residents of certain parts of the city? Are such people clumsler or accident prone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would be retired at this stage if I sued for all the falls, bumps and grazes that befelled me when I was young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Disproportionate amount of accidents and general clumsiness in certain areas of West and North Dublin.

Without opening articles, you can guess where

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If she ever takes him to the Cliff's of Moher, he's a goner for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

beertons wrote: »
    If she ever takes him to the Cliff's of Moher, he's a goner for sure!

Yeah but think of the €€€€.

M

Is it me or are these sort of claims somewhat more prevalent from residents of certain parts of the city? Are such people clumsler or accident prone?

Limerick is the premier league of claims...

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0531/967315-personal-injury/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Same judge gave some bint €24k for falling over a box yesterday, took €4K away for contributory negligence cause she wasn’t looking where she was going. So if she was negligent why give her a reward of €24k FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

fullstop wrote: »
    Same judge gave some bint €24k for falling over a box yesterday, took €4K away for contributory negligence cause she wasn’t looking where she was going. So if she was negligent why give her a reward of €24k FFS.

If it wasn't real you wouldn't believe it
    Your Honour there was no signs saying beware of lamp poles (and who hasn't done that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

fritzelly wrote: »
    If it wasn't real you wouldn't believe it
    Your Honour there was no signs saying beware of lamp poles (and who hasn't done that!)

These cunce would probably walk into the Sign and make a claim

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://www.thejournal.ie/bollard-blanchardstown-shopping-centre-4540637-Mar2019/?utm_source=shortlink

So yet again the courts "award" someone a ridiculous amount of cash for "Reasons". I swear why cant they legislate to at least tighten up laws to stop blatent chancers here.

Edit: Not actually blaming the kid here but the parent who obviously looks like they took this out of oppertunism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can I sue for the time I tripped on the Escalators 30 years ago. The small scar on my shin still haunts me to this day.

Well it doesn't really, but Allders Department store does not have to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So his mother doesn't have to watch out for him, but the shopping centre does,
    And to top it off, a couple of stitches is worth 20 grand...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My 3 year old banged his head recently in aldi and when i was running over to him i slipped on frozen peas that some ar$ehole had obviously burst a bag open and left lying. Straight down on my knee and was limping the following day.
    Did it dawn on me to sue? No because i was not watching my child sufficiently otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Man beside me told me to stay down and called me "an ee-git" when i got up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That Bollard should obviously have cones around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It sounds ridiculous and all but am I the only one thinking it's fucking stupid to print the address of a child who has just gotten €20,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

kneemos wrote: »
    That Bollard should obviously have cones around it.

And the cones should have caution tape around it.
    And a security guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It sounds ridiculous and all but am I the only one thinking it's fucking stupid to print the address of a child who has just gotten €20,000?

Probably didn't give it to him in a carrier bag in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a local business near us that has closed down in the last couple of weeks. I used to go to school with the guy who runs it, they used to employ 5 people full-time.

I was chatting him recently and he said they just couldn't afford the insurance premiums anymore, apparently the have gone crazy-high in the last few years.

These ridiculous compo awards have a real knock-on effect in the economy. It outrageous, both the size of the awards and the favorable view the courts seem to take against any injury suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/20000-for-boy-who-cut-eyebrow-on-bollard-37912107.html

The Ma has a face on her like she knows the system is ****ed

20K and laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The high awards are justified because they are based on the "Book of Quantum" values.

Get a scratch - get €X,000, lose your nose - get €X,000,000, etc.

But what are these Quantums based on, you ask?

They're only bloody based on all the previous crazy high awards from preceding cases.

People have also speculated that €X,000 isn't a big amount to someone in the judiciary, but I'm wondering if there is a % of the claim that goes to the legal team therefore making them invested in higher and higher awards. Don't know how to unlink that kind of mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

the story was in the Irish Daily Star as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

FFS! Sterile strips and glue used to close the cut, didn't require sutures! That's worth €20,000? I suppose if he had needed to be stitched it would have doubled the pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

not just residents from certain parts of dublin. a certain part of society country wide

Advertisement