Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battletech - Kickstarter game pre release game play

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yea, that one was a proper pain in the arse. I ended up
    completely ignoring the transports and turtled in the bottom right corner taking out anything that came up the hill and any turrets I had vision on
    I did not find it to hard; simply waited them out until I could blow a crate and seriously damage/kill most of the reinforcements as they were approaching and I had a Hunchback Laser (HBK-4P) on dedicated anti transport duty at the laser tower. It one rounded the trucks and drew long range fire from the reinforcement allowing me a break on the other three standing in the water pool taking pot shots (all my mechs run maxed front armor as I like to go into close combat and melee the enemy down :P ).

But if you think that one was rough wait until you get to Raising the dead (3 skulls). That one whopped my ass around so badly (it's a two part mission) I was embarrassed and I had been doing 3 and 3.5 skull missions for months before that with 50/60 ton mechs and ended up having to cheese it by
    kitting backwards & knocking them down one by one with missiles and then focus fire the CT to blow them up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I want the pew pew hbk.. Although I have the 4g variant and a 100dmg hit AC/20 wrecks light mechs.
    Doing the mission again and I never noticed as I thought it was just normal terrain but the bluey bit are mineral fields that adds +4 difficulty for enemies to hit you although it also debuffs your shots by 2. Seems to be making a difference mid way through this attempt. Taking out that bottom right ammo dump destroys the two turrets which removes alot of destabilisation and subsequent knockdowns..

Also question... is there a way to get a better idea on terrain? Sometimes it looks like you're safely behind landscape and the enemy blaps you anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I want the pew pew hbk.. Although I have the 4g variant and a 100dmg hit AC/20 wrecks light mechs.
    It's brilliant; I've run 2 of them with having pretty much every 50 to 70 ton mech in storage as alternatives. They have so many heatsinks that even on a desert world you still fire all guns multiple turns; take one turn to dump heat and then continue shooting. You're also likely to get a headshot out of them simply due to volume of fire and they are cheap to maintain as you have M Lasers out of your wazoo from random salvage anyway (they got 1 M Laser in each arm and rest is in the torso).
    Also question... is there a way to get a better idea on terrain? Sometimes it looks like you're safely behind landscape and the enemy blaps you anyway.
    Landscape basically never protects you short of some serious rock outcrops or similar and even then they can usually move around enough to get a shot on you (as shots can go through terrain in both directions if they can draw a line of sight through it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have that ace skill that reduces initiative (piloting?) and running a big ol' Thunderbolt stripped down of almost all it's armour and weapons with just jumpjets and 2x LRM20's

it's comical :pac:

Oooh you have an atlas mk II? FWAAAAPx2 - knockdown, Highlander with Gauss Rifle snipes and launches another volley of LRM20 to the face :D
    that or double legshots are awesome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Saw a youtube vid with a 65 LRM stalker which im itching to try when i manage to catch one, gotta catch em all Pokemech!

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Saw a youtube vid with a 65 LRM stalker which im itching to try when i manage to catch one, gotta catch em all Pokemech!
    Got an Orion with 55 LRMs on it; could theoretically stick 60 LRMs on it but I'm at 55 LRM due to heat management (and lack of a +stability 20 LRM) as it allows me to continue shooting turn after turn.

Always thought regular contracts maps were randomly generated but I've played the same one twice today.

Also noticed (thanks to some bs headshots and reloading) the game responds to your mechs. I played the same contract with a heavy and had heavy opponents then used only mediums and faced only mediums then back to the heavy and faced a couple of heavies. Whilst it makes sense it also now that makes me think that just using meds would be the easiest way of dealing with contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

Right, game will still not work on my laptop, seems to be an issue with older Radeon graphics cards. Took only sensible option available and bought new laptop.

Please tell me its a good game.......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think it's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Bought it last night.

Its basically xcom in space.

And giant mechs.

Good so far.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Right, game will still not work on my laptop, seems to be an issue with older Radeon graphics cards. Took only sensible option available and bought new laptop.

Please tell me its a good game.......

I'm really enjoying it and I don't normally do turn based for long.

There's some things they could improve on like how to speed up the game during turns etc (this is in the works). The camera can be dreadfully stupid during turns focusing in on strange things whilst the action happens off screen. There's little to no help regarding the tutorial phase and there's a chunk to learn especially if you're not used to the Battlemech world. It's not the prettiest either. I don't often buy games but after trying this from another source I went to GoG and made it legit. Don't regret it a bit.

You can disable the automatic camera stuff in the menu, made things much more sensible. The starting couple of hours definitely needs work in explaining itself to the new player though, but that's a common theme in turn based games I think.

Im liking the battle music

Right one thing that is annoying me.

No voice audio during cut scenes just text options.

I donr get why there is audio and voiceovers during the missions, but not after?

I know its only a small thing, but it bugs me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Took the plunge and got this the other day for 15, hope I like it now!

So Quill18 has a 57min video showing off a pretty substantial mod pack for Battletech called Roguetech which seems to make for a tougher and more roguelike experience with tons of extra features and mechanics.

You can download it from Nexusmods here: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79

*bump*

There's new DLC available for this now centred on Urban Warfare, so I felt inspired to fire it all up again this weekend. Started a new Career and tried to learn how to play again :D

Spent ages trying to get some mods working, they wouldn't (I'm guessing the compatibility with the new content is to blame), so I went for vanilla. Note: HBS have added a speed up option for single player, so you're not waiting for ages as mechs stomp all around the map.

The issues with inconsistent difficulty on skull ratings still seems to be there and I haven't encountered any "Urban" settings yet, but it's been fun.

Advertisement