Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I would never fly on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner...an accident waiting to happen

Options
  • 02-05-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Inspired by reading the thread:

"Is America proof right wing countries are not something to aspire to?"

I would like people to watch this documentary how (a once great) American company Boeing has been corrupted by greed.

For those people who think that the "American way" is good...watch this documentary. Truly eye-opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkEpstd9os
    link updated- thanks to poster "the monkey"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Boeing lawyers on alert in five, four..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Bollix .... if it aint Boeing ... I aint Going !!!

• Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

dont believe everything youtube tells ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What a load of twaddle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What a load of twaddle!

People's safety isn't twaddle! Have you never heard of the Titanic??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

heres the full doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm with the op on this one. Flying on a 787 is actually a dumb thing to do, and it's an accident waiting to happen, you'd prob be blown off by the GeForce at take off ffs.

I'd much prefer to fly in one. Horses for courses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Didn't even give details of what safety measures have been compromised.
    You could walk in anywhere and make those allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bit of duct tape, be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Al Jazeera investigating an American company.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Al Jazeera investigating an American company.......:D

You'll certainly get more journalistic impartiality from them, than you would from the likes of CNN, Fox News or Sky ect. Al Jazeera churns out some excellent documentaries that hit right across the geopolitical spectrum. You should try watching it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Moving assembly from Seattle where historically Boeing have built some of the safest aircraft to North Carolina for less skilled workers and a cheaper labour force speaks volumes. That documentary was a real eye opener. All about the bottom line nowadays at the cost of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 thecamcam

rather a boeing than an airbus tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

What chance do we have anymore? Mechanical error, PILOT error? My travelling is done! I've travelled enough of this world! I certainly don't want to prematurely see the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Without reading any of the links in this thread and going on my previous knowledge of the dreamliners history, I wouldn't get on one until they are alittle more tried and tested.
    Overall, I would have more faith in boeing aircraft than airbus but as I say I would love to see a few more hours clocked up trouble free before I'd be stepping into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Aviation and Aircraft Board might have something to say on this!

All air travel is safe until you are a minuscule statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I always feel safer on a Boeing than an AB. So many of the high-profile crashes are AB. MH370 & MH17 (Boeing 777s) don't count.

So I buy a plane ticket for a journey.

TBH I have NEVER checked to see if what type of aircraft it is. If the price is right, give it to me!

Maybe some are more "into" their planes than others. But honestly who checks what plane it is before they fly?

Maybe some anoraks. But for the majority, it is bums on a seat, in a plane. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Boeings are incredibly safe. Airbuses, less so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The statistics suggest there isn't much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Fokkers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

So I buy a plane ticket for a journey.

TBH I have NEVER checked to see if what type of aircraft it is. If the price is right, give it to me!

Maybe some are more "into" their planes than others. But honestly who checks what plane it is before they fly?

Maybe some anoraks. But for the majority, it is bums on a seat, in a plane. End of story.
    I check for long haul! If I'm to be stuck in a tin can at 37,000 feet for 10 hrs +, I'd like it to be a nice Boeing 777 or 747 for that retro buzz.

That said, I wouldn't mind a go of the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

Its like driving a 7 series BMW! Its all down to the driver. For the majority, cars don't cause crashes, drivers do!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For the most part I would agree however when it comes to the battery issues in the dreamliners, I'm not convinced that all is fully understood.

KungPao wrote: »
    I check for long haul! If I'm to be stuck in a tin can at 37,000 feet for 10 hrs +, I'd like it to be a nice Boeing 777 or 747 for that retro buzz.

That said, I wouldn't mind a go of the A380.

Fair enough. So get thee over to Aviation and Aircraft for more buzz!

They know their stuff over there, and TBH I am mad about planes and all that, but only a watching them take off and land kind of thing.

Still, each to their own. A tin can is a tin can, and I don't see much difference in any of them. On long haul, after a gin and tonic and a little 5mg helper I don't care much, happy days!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I always feel safer on a Boeing than an AB. So many of the high-profile crashes are AB. MH370 & MH17 (Boeing 777s) don't count.

That's just not true..

That's a very serious accusation. You got anything to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

mickdw wrote: »
    For the most part I would agree however when it comes to the battery issues in the dreamliners, I'm not convinced that all is fully understood.

Exactly. Boeing know these batteries have a tendency to explode.

Their solution - encase them in a metal container...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm a nervous flyer, despite doing it fairly regularly. I always look at the cabin crew to gauge whether or not I should be worried.

Cabin crew love the Dream liner. So that's good enough for me.I did find the seats in economy a bit tight though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

thecamcam wrote: »
    rather a boeing than an airbus tbh
    The statistics suggest there isn't much difference
    mickdw wrote: »
    Nim wrote: »
    That's just not true..

That's a very serious accusation. You got anything to back it up?

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8370/why-does-the-boeing-737-have-5-x-the-passenger-fatalities-of-the-airbus-320

Advertisement