Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Punks or Posers? The 1970s Dublin Punk and New Wave scene' - 12 Sep 2010

• 26-08-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Date: Sunday, 12th September 2010
    Time: 3pm
    Title: ‘Dublin’s late ‘70s New Wave scene’
    Description: A History Ireland Hedge School-Blasting back to the70′s.
    Venue: Phibsborough Library, North Circular Road, Dublin 7.
    Tickets: N/A, show up on the day.

A discussion on ‘Dublin’s late ‘70s New Wave scene’ hosted by History Ireland's Tommy Graham and joined by Fintan O’ Toole (Journalist), Cllr. Cieran Perry, Eamon Delaney (ex. Complete Chaos), David Donnelly (ex. Black Catholics) and Billy McGrath (ex. Gig Promoter & Manager of The Atrix)

More information here and here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

lol I thought punks were posers. Wasn't that the whole point? To look different from all the glam rockers and disco fags? Punk started as a fashion/cultural statement and grew from there. The political stuff started with the hippies in the 60s so punk can't claim that.

There ya go, I just saved you from having to go all the way up
    to Phibsboro. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

What about the music and the good times dimwit.

Don't listen to demonspawn, he obviously knows sod all, this is gonna be a cracker of an afternoon. And I hear the Punky Reggae Party will be supplying a few tunes to go along with the event.
    Phibsborough is served by Dublin Bus routes 4, 4a, 10, 19, 19a, 38, 38a, 38b, 38c, 39n, 39x, 40n, 83, 88n, 120, 121, 122 and 140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

appreciate the bus info, nice touch, the 19/19a goes right my place,happy days

looking forward to this:D

What about the music and the good times dimwit.

Don't listen to demonspawn, he obviously knows sod all, this is gonna be a cracker of an afternoon. And I hear the Punky Reggae Party will be supplying a few tunes to go along with the event.

lol I was only having a laugh at the title of the thread. Get a sense of humor ffs. The fact is there are a lot of posers in the punk scene who are attracted by the fashion. There are also a lot who couldn't give a flying f**k about spiked leather jackets, Doc Martins, and mohawks.

If I still lived in Dublin I'd go, but just to have a good time and not a discussion on "what is punk?". I've already had that discussion more times than I care to remember and it always ended in tears...usually someone else's. :D

Edit: Also, you could decide to not be a lazy bollocks and just walk up to Phibsboro with a big group of punx. It's what, a fifteen minute walk from O'Connell Bridge? Or would you prefer to give the government even more of your cash?

Actually, I think I will head down to this thing. It's reminded me of when I was 16 in Dublin and the punk scene at the time. It reminds me of the middle-class "punks" that would come down out of the suburbs for the weekend and turn their nose up at anyone who didn't conform to their idea of punk. Those pricks made me feel awful.

I had just moved over from the U.S. and I had no friends whatsoever. I tried getting into the punk scene here and only a handful of people would even talk to me. I ended up making more friends with the crusties that lived on SCR and the gutter punks that sold the Big Issue than I did with the other **** in the punk scene at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

demonspawn wrote: »
    lol I was only having a laugh at the title of the thread. Get a sense of humor ffs. The fact is there are a lot of posers in the punk scene who are attracted by the fashion. There are also a lot who couldn't give a flying f**k about spiked leather jackets, Doc Martins, and mohawks.

If I still lived in Dublin I'd go, but just to have a good time and not a discussion on "what is punk?". I've already had that discussion more times than I care to remember and it always ended in tears...usually someone else's. :D

Edit: Also, you could decide to not be a lazy bollocks and just walk up to Phibsboro with a big group of punx. It's what, a fifteen minute walk from O'Connell Bridge? Or would you prefer to give the government even more of your cash?

1. It's hard to read sarcastic comments via the internets, doesn't come off as jokingly as you would have liked. True there are posers, but most if not all are never really apart of the scene. So why care?

2. Wow you're a real hardman you are, turning to violence if ye can't have a discussion, I'm well impressed (sarcasm).

3. Dublin Bus isn't owned by the Government. Tis grand though for me, and the other phibsboro punks :cool: Just thought I'd be a good man and supply some info for others who wish to travel up to it.
    Actually, I think I will head down to this thing. It's reminded me of when I was 16 in Dublin and the punk scene at the time. It reminds me of the middle-class "punks" that would come down out of the suburbs for the weekend and turn their nose up at anyone who didn't conform to their idea of punk. Those pricks made me feel awful.

I had just moved over from the U.S. and I had no friends whatsoever. I tried getting into the punk scene here and only a handful of people would even talk to me. I ended up making more friends with the crusties that lived on SCR and the gutter punks that sold the Big Issue than I did with the other **** in the punk scene at the time.

Maybe you should speak at this as a person who was there and experienced it first hand, or you could but that as a question. Seriously I'd love to see how the speakers react, one tip though, wait for one of em to say "it was open to everyone" or some sort of dribble like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

you could decide to not be a lazy bollocks and just walk up to Phibsboro with a big group of punx. It's what, a fifteen minute walk from O'Connell Bridge? Or would you prefer to give the government even more of your cash?

I'm fully aware of how far Phibsboro is from town but its a good hour and twenty minutes walk from my place, I appreciated the information

1. It's hard to read sarcastic comments via the internets, doesn't come off as jokingly as you would have liked. True there are posers, but most if not all are never really apart of the scene. So why care?

My post started with "lol" and ended with a big smiley face.
    2. Wow you're a real hardman you are, turning to violence if ye can't have a discussion, I'm well impressed (sarcasm).
    I never said I laid a finger on anyone. I use my razor sharp wit and superior intellect to cut my foes to ribbons. Oh, and if you have to tell someone you're being sarcastic you're either doing it wrong or they're thick as s**t.
    3. Dublin Bus isn't owned by the Government. Tis grand though for me, and the other phibsboro punks :cool: Just thought I'd be a good man and supply some info for others who wish to travel up to it.
    I'm a narky prick at the best of times. At least my post encouraged more replies than this forum has seen in a while. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

punks or posers, at least they got to be there. a lot of good wave was kickin about too coldwave, darkwave etc.. most productive era easily

can an actual punk thread ever get more views than the paramore one did in such a short space of time? thats what i wanna know.. but the less hits the more credentials imo - long way to go anyhow

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm sure paramore thread came up in google search results and that's why it got attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

1968 wrote: »
    Date: Sunday, 12th September 2010
    Time: 3pm
    Title: ‘Dublin’s late ‘70s New Wave scene’
    Description: A History Ireland Hedge School-Blasting back to the70′s.
    Venue: Phibsborough Library, North Circular Road, Dublin 7.
    Tickets: N/A, show up on the day.

A discussion on ‘Dublin’s late ‘70s New Wave scene’ hosted by History Ireland's Tommy Graham and joined by Fintan O’ Toole (Journalist), Cllr. Cieran Perry, Eamon Delaney (ex. Complete Chaos), David Donnelly (ex. Black Catholics) and Billy McGrath (ex. Gig Promoter & Manager of The Atrix)

More information here and here.
    I'll definetly make this, wasn't a punk though loved the Sex Pistols, should bring back some memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

dregin wrote: »
    I'm sure paramore thread came up in google search results and that's why it got attention.

that'd help some in explaining the number of views. poor tykes sure didn't have the nerve to post as almost all of the few comments are disowning em.. but i now realize i only contributed in helping bump that b*tch - so was a hot topic, regardless :o

anyhow *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bitzy

''THEY WALK AROUND TOGETHER AND THEY TRY TO LOOK TRENDY ALL THE KIDS ARE SAYIN THAT THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME''

''HERE THEY COME, LA LA LA LA LA LA-LA LA LA LA LA LA THE PART TIME PUNKS''

everyone chill the **** out and enjoy the day and the festival in phibsboro.

bitzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bitzy

I'm a narky prick at the best of times. ;)

You certaily are

bitzy

bitzy wrote: »
    You certaily are

bitzy

Oh dear, did you resurrect this account just to have a go? Oh, and you don't need to add your callsign at the bottom, we can see it quite clearly to the left of your post. :rolleyes:

Marcus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

this sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Was at it for an hour. Mildly amusing, that's it. The Radiators from Space and the Virgin Prunes, ( whom I thought were sh!te, more image than substance ) got a lot of mentioning. But then I suppose they were the pioneers of punk in Dublin, so maybe we can forgive them.

http://www.theradiators.tv/

http://www.virginprunes.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

HellsAngel wrote: »
    and the Virgin Prunes, ( whom I thought were sh!te, more image than substance )
    This is 100% true having watched them yoinks ago.

Advertisement