Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Greatest Punk Artists

Options
  • 28-07-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I was browsing the internet and found this on www.digitaldreamdoor.com

What do people think about the selection? I was a bit surprised to see The Clash at the top but tbh, I feel it is justified. Nobody can doubt their greatness.

Also, I was shocked to see the Sex Pistols so high above the Stiff Little Fingers. I think they are a much better band and that The Pistols are very over-rated.

Against Me! made it in which I was happy about, Also Anti-Flag, another of my favourite punk bands. Joy Divison, I felt aren't really punk but more "New-Wave" I would've thought but still, It's nice to see them in there but maybe they shouldn't have been so high.

What do YOU think? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JedExodus

Doing things like putting Sunny Day Real Estate before Propagandhi is just GONNA cause a helluva lot of controversy...followed by deaths. Bad Religion should (in my humble opinion) be in the top-ten. Suprised to see names like Reel Big Fish in there. Also interesting to see Green Day there but Blink 182 isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Wow, this is actually one of the better Punk top 100's I've seen, actually it's probably the best.
    I wasn't expecting to see any actually good punk bands on it. I'm surprised to say the least cos I thought it would be choc full of Sum41 and Blink182 type bands.

I'm very happy to see Rites of Spring, Husker Du, Embrace, TSOL and Dag Nasty so high up on that list.

Nearly all the bands in the top 10 are completly over-rated though with the exception of MC5, The Stooges and Fugazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

The Clash are not over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think that's a fine list. Even Agent Orange is there. :)

Personally I wouldn't put The Clash at number one, but each to their own.

Yeah, maybe not number one.

Definitely top 10 though. They are a great band. I, personally, wouldn't have The Pistols so high up. I always felt they tried to hard to be "hardcore".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

...hate the sex pistols...surprised that sick of it all aren't on there unless im blind, glad to see loc and cv up there...and i really wouldnt consider at the drive in punk though they are good, other than that its a fairly solid list.

Timans wrote:
    The Clash are not over-rated.

That's yor opinion. My opinion is that they are over-rated.

That's yor opinion. My opinion is that they are over-rated.
    It is my opinion that your opinion is bad and wrong.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I wouldn't put The Clash or the Pistols on it at all, bot ****e imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

top 100 lists are retarded...like all those "Top 100 British TV kisses" type programmes that channel 4 always show...a load of meaningless nonsense imo.

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:
    top 100 lists are retarded...like all those "Top 100 British TV kisses" type programmes that channel 4 always show...a load of meaningless nonsense imo.
    I was only trying to create some discussion in this forum as nobody else seems to be trying.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

i won't argue the top for the reason that i'm not familiar with some of the stuff there but JESUS CHRIST the jam at mid 30s???? C'mon FFS. The pure talent that those guys put out is unbelievable. Clever songs with social class themes what more do you want???
    If the Jam don't make ppl's top10 of punk bands i just give up on punk

01. The Clash
    02. MC5
    03. The Ramones
    04. The Sex Pistols
    05. The Stooges
    06. Dead Kennedys
    07. Fugazi
    08. Black Flag
    09. The Misfits
    10. Bad Brains
    11. Minor Threat
    12. Joy Division
    13. The Buzzcocks
    14. Husker Du
    15. Bad Religion
    16. Minutemen
    17. The Damned
    18. The Circle Jerks
    19. X
    20. Television
    21. Stiff Little Fingers
    22. Patti Smith
    23. Green Day
    24. Crass
    25. Gang Of Four
    26. Generation X
    27. Operation Ivy
    28. Rites of Spring
    29. Adolescents
    30. Social Distortion
    31. Embrace
    32. Richard Hell & the Voidoids
    33. The Descendents
    34. The Germs
    35. The Jam
    36. The Adicts
    37. At The Drive In
    38. Dead Boys
    39. X-Ray Spex
    40. NOFX
    41. Wire
    42. Rancid
    43. Fear
    44. Reagan Youth
    45. The Exploited
    46. Anti-Nowhere league
    47. The Vandals
    48. Subhumans
    49. The Pogues
    50. Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers
    51. TSOL
    52. Leftover Crack
    53. Gorilla Biscuits
    54. GBH
    55. Anti Flag
    56. Sunny Day Real Estate
    57. Pennywise
    58. Sham 69
    59. Agent Orange
    60. Conflict
    61. Dead Milkmen
    62. Discharge
    63. 7 Seconds
    64. Suicidal Tendencies
    65. Against Me!
    66. Flogging Molly
    67. Chocking Victim
    68. Jawbraker
    69. Propaghandi
    70. Dropkick Murpheys
    71. Catch 22
    72. U.K. Subs
    73. D.O.A.
    74. The Vibrators
    75. The Unseen
    76. Dag Nasty
    77. Alkaline Trio
    78. Screeching Weasels
    79. A.F.I.
    80. Guttermouth
    81. Suicide Machines
    82. Reel Big Fish
    83. Strike Anywhere
    84. Streetlight Manifesto
    85. Refused
    86. Rise Against
    87. Paint it Black
    88. Bouncing Souls
    89. Screamers
    90. Agnostic Front
    91. Kid Dynamite
    92. Less Than Jake
    93. D.R.I.
    94. Link 80
    95. Millencolin
    96. 999
    97. Mustard Plug
    98. Bigwig
    99. Dance Hall Crashers
    100. Tiger Army

Yeah.

it is kinda a joke putting the bouncing souls above agnostic front...and tiger army being in there and no other psychobilly bands..i mean come on mad sin, asmodeus, os capalipticos, nekromantix, batmobile, the meteors, demetented are go, the klingonz...all way better than tiger army could ever hope to be *sigh* it overlooks a lot...especially the fact that the bouncing souls are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Choking Victim, Operation Ivy, GBH, Dag Nasty, Streetlight Manifesto and a good few others should be higher up on the list.
    The Ramones, The Clash (who I'd agree are over-rated), Green Day, Joy Division and others should be lower on the list, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tragget

The Clash are good but nowhere near the top of that list. Come on.

Happy to see Patti Smith included. She's often overlooked, but i suppose punk is an odd way to describe some of her stuff, same for MC5, fekcing great band though. And television, teh stooges and ramones. Great. I'd also bring the Jam forward by a lot. I don't know some of the stuff later in the list.

37. At The Drive In
    42. Rancid
    45. The Exploited
    52. Leftover Crack
    55. Anti Flag
    56. Sunny Day Real Estate
    77. Alkaline Trio
    65. Against Me!
    66. Flogging Molly
    69. Propaghandi
    70. Dropkick Murpheys
    71. Catch 22
    79. A.F.I.
    80. Guttermouth
    81. Suicide Machines
    82. Reel Big Fish
    83. Strike Anywhere
    84. Streetlight Manifesto
    85. Refused
    91. Kid Dynamite
    92. Less Than Jake
    94. Link 80
    95. Millencolin
    96. 999
    97. Mustard Plug
    98. Bigwig
    99. Dance Hall Crashers
    100. Tiger Army

teh eXpLoItEd ranks before TSOL, GBH, Agent Orange, Suicidal Tendencies, Discharge, DOA and Dag Nasty? Wattie & crew should never have even breached the top 100
    And no Naked Raygun? no Die Kruezen or Dayglo Abortions? no JFA or RKL? You can't take these lists too seriously.

Whoever made this poll should have his record collection confiscated.

Reel Big Fish? Mwah hah hah...

At this stage I'm completely desensitized to top-whatever lists.

It's funny how most people are saying that all the more "popular" bands are "over-rated"

I think this is another case of musical "elitists" thinking only bands which not many people know about are good. :eyeroll:

its not about elitism, the bouncing souls suck balls...its not about them being over-rated either...they just suck balls. the clash probably deserve that number 1 slot they influenced god knows how many punk, ska and other bands...first charted rap single by a british and a white band. triple album that is ****ing godly the whole way through...the clash rock, and they are known by millions of people sooooo your elitism theory kinda failed there too

• Advertisement

I never said The Clash were elitists.

I said, the reason people were saying all these bands(incl The Clash) were "over-rated" was because they aren't elitist.

either this is going over my head or it makes no sense...probably the first one though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has the definiton of punk changed since I was 20? The Jam and Televison are no more punk than Pink Floyd (okay small exaggeration). If they can be in where are The Stranglers?

Mike.

agreed the stranglers should be in it and it looks to be just a general punk influenced kinda thing cause tiger army arnt punk by any stretch of the imagination but they're there...oh well...its not a great top 100 anyway, though they did have the decendents pretty high on it

I agree, The Jam are not punk.

Paul Weller = The Modfather.

Mods, not punks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

List needs GG Allin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its a top 100 punk and punk spin off genres. all these old schook punkers getting pissy cos their crumby old bands are above reel big fish...losers

nice to see dance hall crashers in their, i think theyre so under rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Two On Glue

its a decent list, NOFX ARE GODS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

NOFX ARE GODS

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ok. Prepare your brickbats.

Most on that list are NOT punk. It's a sham(69) of a list. Where are Scraping Foetus off the Wheel?

"Punk derivatives" the Jam? Eh, NO! They are mods, a throwback to the Who, Kinks etc of the 1960's.

The likes of Green Day, whilst I enjoy them, are not punk. At best they are neopunk. Punk rock was a movement in music of a very specific time, with very specific roots. Blink182* do not have claim to the catalysts that created punk - Disco music, unemployment, despair, and the possibility to record a single for little money.

*for example

Advertisement