Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Terry Pratchett

Options
  • 12-03-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard the news that Terry Pratchett has died at the Age of 66.

A wonderful Author. He will be sorely missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aw, RIP Pterry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I read a lot of his books and loved them. RIP Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Very sad news, I'll drink to Sir Terry tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

RIP Terry, you will be so missed

Just saw this on Reddit, it's one of those things that just seems to fit:
    YOU KNOW, TERRY. SOMETIMES I COME FOR HUMANS WHO MAKE ME LOVE MY JOB. SOMETIMES I COME FOR HUMANS LIKE YOU AND SUDDENLY I FEEL TIRED. VERY TIRED.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm genuinely sad about this, what a wonderful and witty mind he had. Rest in peace, Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

From his twitter.

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End

Sad News!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In my teens when all I read was Discworld I was genuinely terrified of this happening one day. RIP old friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

heartbroken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I've read all his books, watched him in documentaries, and followed him on Twitter. Genuinely sad to hear of his passing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah shít.
    :(

Even knowing of his well-documented illness, I still hoped we'd get a few more years of his genius and wit. I came to Pratchett's work in my teens, my mum suggesting his Discworld novels as something interesting I might like to read. She gave me 'Reaper Man' from the library and I approached it a little cautiously, knowing nothing of the man. Boy was she right. I've loved nearly all his work and even his missteps often contained the kind of humanist sparkle and insightfulness that typified his style that you'd find nowhere else.

A genuine modern great of literature, regardless of genre, and the world of writing and language is the poorer for his passing. Of course our thoughts first and foremost are with his family. Pratchett had often spoken of his desire to pass before the illness overtook his capabilities, and I can't help wonder if that was the case. Either way, sorry you had to go Terry :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

RIP.

Can't find the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

His work was a constant during my childhood, through thick and thin.

Whatever specks of wit and humour I have are entirely down to the impact he had on me growing up.

I'd be a very different person if I hadn't been given a handed down copy of The Colour of Magic when I was 9 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

No words, I guess he took them all with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

He will be sorely missed :( Rip sir terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

Today is a dark day. He was one of my all time favourite authors. He'll be sorely missed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

20 years I've been reading Terry Pratchet, I have some of my most cherished memories are in fact things I read in his books. His writing was both fuel and salve to my over active imagination. He also elevated the humble footnote to the literary position it deserved.*

*Which ironically enough was at the bottom of the page.

This on reddit, from /u/poem_for_your_sprog says it best:

The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
    And slowly, softly fades -
    Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
    The River-Gate; the Shades.

A stony circle's closed to elves;
    And here, where lines are blurred,
    Between the stacks of books on shelves,
    A quiet 'Ook' is heard.

A copper steps the city-street
    On paths he's often passed;
    The final march; the final beat;
    The time to rest at last.

He gives his badge a final shine,
    And sadly shakes his head -
    While Granny lies beneath a sign
    That says: 'I aten't dead.'

The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
    It's now. The time's at hand.
    For where it's always night, it seems,
    A timer clears of sand.

And so it is that Death arrives,
    When all the time has gone...
    But dreams endure, and hope survives,
    And Discworld carries on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm devastated by this. I suppose we all knew it was coming but I feel like I've lost a friend

RIP Terry Pratchett you have a permanent spot on my bookshelf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

I'm so upset by this news. Never have I been this effected by the passing of someone I never met. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was very fortunate to meet the man in 2009 at the Ennistymon Discworld convention.
    He stood there with us, drinking pints and talking for hours. He had time for everyone, he was witty, he was funny and you would have never known about his illness from talking to him. He was a genius and an inspiration for my outlook on life.

988949_354463814752420_6131052308247700788_n.jpg?oh=e9759317b9395708a6567b4b67989190&oe=55B6D0D8

TERRY PRATCHETT IS, LET ME SEE, THERE ISN'T AN ENTIRELY APPROPRIATE HUMAN WORD, SO LET'S SETTLE FOR GONE...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

RIP Terry...... sorry I mean Woof woof woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Am i the only one picturing the disk at a standstill while its inhabitants quietly mourn, the Great A'tuin swimming ever on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

My favourite character of his was Death, today, a little less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

How cruel that a person with such great imagination and intellect was to be struck down by alzheimers.

I imagine there are some small gods getting a witty rebuke right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The 1st Octocon the national scifi convention was 25years ago this year.
    Terry was the 1st guest on honour, people will be gathering to remember him at this years octocon in October.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ectoraige wrote: »
    My favourite character of his was Death, today, a little less so.

THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST ME

Advertisement