Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-med degree ?

Options
  • 16-12-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, I'm doing 1st Year Computer Science right now and I just realized I want to do Medicine. I've heard about GAMSAT and decided to take it after my degree but the problem for me right now are the Admission Officers and Bank Loan.. Taking the GAMSAT isn't a problem for me, I feel really confident I'll be able to pass it. My only worry right now is my pre-med degree..

Should I continue with my Computer Science ? I feel like Computer Science will put me in an advantage taking out that massive 100k - 60k loan but it also puts me in a disadvantage for Medical School since a Computer Science doesn't really help me out medically. (Advantage: Taking out the loan)

On the other hand, I'm thinking about dropping Computer Science and taking up Psychology instead. This is an option for me since it will help me out medically and since a famous neurosurgeon like Ben Carson took psychology aswell. (Advantage: Being admitted)

Laaaaaastly, Visual Arts (Design Communication).. Dropping out Computer Science and taking this degree instead. I've always had an artistic talent since I got Arts for my Leaving Cert as my highest grade. I decided this since the course has module that will help me out writing essays / communicating with patients / 3-D imaging etc. Also, there seems to be lots of jobs relating arts these days. (Advantage: Can help me out for medical school and can help me out taking the loan)

Should I be more worried about being admitted or taking out the loan ? Any help right now would be appreciated greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

Seeing as you're only in 1st year of college i'd say the best option for you, If you really really want to do medicine, would be to go back and do whatever it takes to get into undergrad?

I think perhaps you are assuming too confidently that you will automatically get into graduate entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Check out the past papers for the GAMSAT and re-assess whether or not you are so confident. It is a tough exam for anyone and in 3 or 4 years if the economy is better more people may take places they are offered and the points will rise to what they were before people had so many troubles getting the loan etc.

That said, unless you were considering switching between something like accounting and biochemistry or pharmacy, I really don't see it making all that much difference. The above are prob the only people on our course who are noticeably at an advantage, and even then if you are willing to put in the work you'll prob get by fine anyway regardless of what you've done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fooree

Everyone seems to be telling me to repeat the Leaving Cert and do the HPAT. Would there be any free sample of the HPAT paper ? I want to give it a go depending on what I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

What exactly makes you want to do medicine ? If it's watching too much ER I think you should reconsider. You should investigate a lot before you make the jump - there is a long way between computer science and medicine. Neurosurgery for example means giving up your entire life and moving abroad. If your not prepared to make that kind of commitment or are unsure do your research ! Far too many people are finding themselves 100k in debt with no life and trapped in the evil HSE maze because they pursued a romanticised version of medicine without exploring it fully. Beware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

I think more than a third of people who do GAMSAT get offered a place now, so if you're bright and you do some work you should get a place, whatever your primary degree is in.

Having said that, if I was in that position again, I'd go back and do the leaving cert, if you're sure you want to be a doctor, as some other people have already suggested. The earlier you qualify, the less time you'll have to spend donig night shifts when you're older, which is really really tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

If you're intending to do the GAMSAT, do a degree in something you think you'll like. One of the interesting degrees - The musics, zoologys, culinary arts, film and broadcasting... It's what you should be doing anyway, but especially if you're looking at the GAMSAT. Don't pick a degree based on what you think will stand to you during those 6 hours in March. Benefits of this are that you'll be more likely to finish the thing with a 2:1 or higher and you might find that you actually don't really want to do medicine, which is probably the ideal result. Picking something you're not interested in will lead to you losing motivation over four years and then you'll be devastated when you don't pick up the 2:1, as you hate the degree in your back pocket.

But then again at 18/19 I was probably given this advice, but had other voices in my head telling me to ignore advice and bulldoze into something I thought other people wanted me to do. Also the GEM programme entry in 4 years may not be as it is now. Computer Science/Visual Arts/Psychology? Not much of a link between those three. What are you actually interested in?

Taking the GAMSAT isn't a worry for you? At the age of 18, you think that you have the beating of other test takers who have graduated with an above average degree, paid €300 to do an exam and sacrificed income to study for it? Good luck

Repeating the LC is probably the best option. €60,000+ less in the hole and maybe graduate a few years earlier

Advertisement