Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in The Gateway

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm not from Dublin so when i went looking for accommodation I wanted to stay in a student village of some sort. The only place I could find was the Gateway student village which is an hour and a halfs walk away. Now i=I know this sounds like madness but there is a bus. I'm going to be studying in Aungier street and I was wondering has anyone ever stayed there and traveled every morning. Or has anybody any better suggestions. I have been told to steer clear of The Forge and Griffith halls. The Ifsc place is too expensive. I'm pretty well stuck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

I'm a Kevin ST student, stayed in The Gateway for 2 years. bus is max 1 hour in in the mornings, usually 30 mins if you dont go in at rush hour. It's a grand place.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

I'm a Kevin ST student, stayed in The Gateway for 2 years. bus is max 1 hour in in the mornings, usually 30 mins if you dont go in at rush hour. It's a grand place.

Yes it is nice , fair number of dit students in the gateway now i hear.
    But shame about your room random , last time i saw it there where things growing in there that are a sin against god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Yes it is nice , fair number of dit students in the gateway now i hear.
    But shame about your room random , last time i saw it there where things growing in there that are a sin against god.

well now i live in a lovely nice apartment so i keep it all nicelike

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Is the Forge and that area really as bad as people are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 helloguys

yes the forge is that bad .stayed there would not go back if it was free.. stay well clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

If the forge is the place in Fatima then I would steer clear of it at all costs. If you've already sorted out accommodation there then try to change it.

If you can't change it then don't stress about it. The main problem is that it is a very rough area. Some of the locals are nice but you will be faced with hordes of young scumbags. From what I have seen they hang around outside the entrance to the Forge and cause trouble. some of them I can tell are ***** by nature and are only out to cause you grief and possibly harm. I'm sure there is an element of resentment too for the "outsiders" that come into their area, stay in plush apartments and enjoy themselves living the "college" lifestyle.

If you are used to dealing with these sort of people then you know what to do better than me. I would advise you to refrain from getting violent as that will only cause more trouble in the long run. Do try to blend in. Maybe try to get on friendly terms with one or two of the "alright" scummers. There is security at the entrance to the Forge, the main danger is walking to and from college and especially getting back at night you should always take a taxi, straight to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Thank god I didn't so then, Apart from the Nci accommodation that just leaves trying to find a room in a house somewhere. I'll keep looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The_Wobbler

I'm 2nd year in DCU and was in Gateway last year and wasn't going to go back because the managemeny was poor.
    But after seeing it was under new management I decided to give it another try as it suited me perfectly for DCU.
    It is much improved this year, the broadband is much more realiable and staff are far more helpful. The caretaker gets anything sorted withina few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vorr1k

Yeah its a really nice place. I've never actually been there but judging from the great posts in this thread about how great it is, i'd be a fool to think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 storiroy

Hey im n 1st year n nci and wz tinkin of movin up n 2 da forge apartments wud ya recommend i do r say wel away?? ny otha places ya wud recommend i hav a luk at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

storiroy wrote: »
    Hey im n 1st year n nci and wz tinkin of movin up n 2 da forge apartments wud ya recommend i do r say wel away?? ny otha places ya wud recommend i hav a luk at?
    What?

Advertisement