Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat prep courses

Options
  • 12-12-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys, I'm trying to squeeze a few extra points out of my gamsat score as I really want to study in Dublin. What are people's experiences/thoughts on prep courses? Some seem very expensive so I don't want to spend €2500 euro on one unless it was really worth it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

From people I've spoken to that did these courses, they all said that the major benefit to the courses is that they demystify Gamsat in that you are provided with a list of topics to study and how to approach them. Having sat it, you won't get that benefit yourself. How far are you off Dublin? Can you identify areas from previous Gamsat that you know you could improve on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TiredLawGrad

Like letsdothis said, identify the areas you didn't do well in and try to improve on them. I haven't done any preparation courses myself and I think 2500e is a whole lot of money! Lots of practice papers strictly under exam conditions will be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sof__

Hi guys, hope this is a suitable thread for my question. Has anybody here completed the organic chemistry for dummies workbook? If so, how useful do you feel it is? I am from a non-science background. Just don't want to spend two months working through it to find it has only introductory relevance when compared to gamsat style questions. Thanks

sof__ wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope this is a suitable thread for my question. Has anybody here completed the organic chemistry for dummies workbook? If so, how useful do you feel it is? I am from a non-science background. Just don't want to spend two months working through it to find it has only introductory relevance when compared to gamsat style questions. Thanks

I was non-science too and i found it great along with the main dummies book and also Organic Chem as a Second Language, which I and others have recommended numerous times on here. GAMSAT is tough in terms of what to study. I can assure you that the dummies and workbook along with second language are more than adequate from GAMSAT. I used these to get a 62 on section 3 on my first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sof__

Excellent. Congrats getting a 62. Just while you're here, how long did you spend getting through the workbook? I've used other 'gamsat preparation' books the last couple of months and even when I finish them I still don't feel I'm at the required level. I guess I just don't want to spend another month going through the dummies book and then still not feel up to scratch. Should we be flying through it or does it give you a good level of practical gamsat type knowledge whereby taking your time with it is a better option? Sorry if that question doesn't make sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TiredLawGrad

The dummies work book is quite good, having been studying it with the dummies book itself for the last month. I have come across some orgo questions while practicing the ozimeds which I couldn't have done without the dummies workbook. There are plenty of practice questions in it and it'll be worth your time.

Excellent. Congrats getting a 62. Just while you're here, how long did you spend getting through the workbook? I've used other 'gamsat preparation' books the last couple of months and even when I finish them I still don't feel I'm at the required level. I guess I just don't want to spend another month going through the dummies book and then still not feel up to scratch. Should we be flying through it or does it give you a good level of practical gamsat type knowledge whereby taking your time with it is a better option? Sorry if that question doesn't make sense!

Sorry about the delayed response. I spent about 75 hours studying Organic Chemistry in total (I kept a record!) over about 5 weeks in the hot summer - this is with zero background in science so it was all from scratch. My study involved going through the Dummies book and work book and the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I also used free iPhone apps - flashcards/tests for functional groups and nomenclature. I put more time into OC than any other area for GAMSAT and I feel this is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gamsat

Hi,

Need help urgently!

I am to sit the GAMTSAT this month. I'm not really from a science background. Studied Biology and Chemistry in school but that was a while back. I sat the HPAT today and dont think I did so well. Haven't been in an exam environment in ages so felt at a disadvantage compared to some of the younger candidates. I am applying through the Mature Entry path and also as a Graduate student. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to study but I know medicine is something I want to pursue. Being older it would be great to get accepted into the 4 year programm. I know I should have started studying earlier, best plans and all that .... not easy when you are working ....

I know I have little time until the exam but can someone advise how best I can prepare to maxmise my chances of doing well. I don't have much time and cant study everything. I have the GAMSAT sample test papers. Don't know what texts to use etc.

Your help will be much appreciated ..... please reply urgently ......

Many Thanks

Zahra

gamsat wrote: »
    Hi,

Need help urgently!

I am to sit the GAMTSAT this month. I'm not really from a science background. Studied Biology and Chemistry in school but that was a while back. I sat the HPAT today and dont think I did so well. Haven't been in an exam environment in ages so felt at a disadvantage compared to some of the younger candidates. I am applying through the Mature Entry path and also as a Graduate student. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to study but I know medicine is something I want to pursue. Being older it would be great to get accepted into the 4 year programm. I know I should have started studying earlier, best plans and all that .... not easy when you are working ....

I know I have little time until the exam but can someone advise how best I can prepare to maxmise my chances of doing well. I don't have much time and cant study everything. I have the GAMSAT sample test papers. Don't know what texts to use etc.

Your help will be much appreciated ..... please reply urgently ......

Many Thanks

Zahra
    Great username! You have very little time and need to put everything into it for the next 4 weeks if you really want this. I'm non science and work full time (long hours) but managed to get an acceptable score because I worked very hard for it. It seems that GEM required the same commitment so it was probably a good training! What areas are your weaknesses? Let us know so we can advise. Identify them and work specifically on these and do as many practice papers under exam conditions as you can.
    Good luck!

Yes not very original! I suppose on Section 1 and 2, I could plug away myself and but its Section 3, I would be very weak in. I did Bilogy and Chemistry at school. Chemistry was no my strong point.

I just don't know where to start or what texts to use if at all. I have some leaving cert chem n bilogy text books. I know it is very little time but want to give it my best shot. If I don't make it this year, there is always next year if I want to pursue it badly enough.

But if I scrape through this year, it would be brilliant. Wanto to know what to focus on, how to use the next 3 weeks to best use.

For the HPAT, I was using test papers to study n prepare. Fell down on time keeping today. Didn't get to finish any section. Dont expect to do well. But it was a real eye opener.

That behind, want to focus on the GAMSAT. If anyone can help or advise how ... if you have any notes etc .... anyone that may be able to help me prepare ....

Many Thanks

• Advertisement

gamsat wrote: »
    Yes not very original! I suppose on Section 1 and 2, I could plug away myself and but its Section 3, I would be very weak in. I did Bilogy and Chemistry at school. Chemistry was no my strong point.

I just don't know where to start or what texts to use if at all. I have some leaving cert chem n bilogy text books. I know it is very little time but want to give it my best shot. If I don't make it this year, there is always next year if I want to pursue it badly enough.

But if I scrape through this year, it would be brilliant. Wanto to know what to focus on, how to use the next 3 weeks to best use.

For the HPAT, I was using test papers to study n prepare. Fell down on time keeping today. Didn't get to finish any section. Dont expect to do well. But it was a real eye opener.

That behind, want to focus on the GAMSAT. If anyone can help or advise how ... if you have any notes etc .... anyone that may be able to help me prepare ....

Many Thanks

Hard to gauge how weak your science is but if you have a basic understanding of general chemistry I would put the most time into organic chemistry. Use organic chemistry for dummies and the workbook as well as organic chemistry as a second language. A leaving cert level in the other 3 topics would probably be enough for a basic level considering the time you have. Then it's sample papers.

Get cracking!!!!!

Thanks for coming back so quickly. You wouldn't have these books to sell?

Is there a general trend of what areas come up so I can focus on them alone?

I don't but if you know where to look you can get digital copies quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gamsatexam

Hi there,

I have to sit the exam this month and I have finished the golden standard book but I am having difficulty in section in terms of arguing for and against on quotes! This section is my weakest part as I am from science background so is there any particular thingy I need to focus on? Help is very much appreciated! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

Gamsatexam wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have to sit the exam this month and I have finished the golden standard book but I am having difficulty in section in terms of arguing for and against on quotes! This section is my weakest part as I am from science background so is there any particular thingy I need to focus on? Help is very much appreciated! :(

Gamsatexam, first of all, the Gold Standard book is not ideal for ss I & III; others will confirm this. It is actually good for s II practice in terms of the lists of quotes in it. How do you argue for GAMSAT essays? After your *introduction*, agree with the quote as if it is the gospel truth, then give examples.
    The next paragraph should consist of a contradiction of the previous, again give examples.
    The final paragraph should supplement the two opposing arguments.
    Look up thesis, antithesis and synthesis on google for more info.
    The best way to be good at it is to put pen to paper and start writing. You could look up argumentative essays online. There are good *narrative essays* out there. Finally and most crucial is that you shall PLAN before you start writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gamsatexam

Academia wrote: »
    Gamsatexam, first of all, the Gold Standard book is not ideal for ss I & III; others will confirm this. It is actually good for s II practice in terms of the lists of quotes in it. How do you argue for GAMSAT essays? After your *introduction*, agree with the quote as if it is the gospel truth, then give examples.
    The next paragraph should consist of a contradiction of the previous, again give examples.
    The final paragraph should supplement the two opposing arguments.
    Look up thesis, antithesis and synthesis on google for more info.
    The best way to be good at it is to put pen to paper and start writing. You could look up argumentative essays online. There are good *narrative essays* out there. Finally and most crucial is that you shall PLAN before you start writing.

Ok thank you so much.. all the quotes are kinda similar so no point of having standard essays to study from :(

Hi,

I am selling the complete gradmed study materials; a valuable source for anyone preparing for the GAMSAT.

PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PyramidUp

Hi guys,

If anyone would like a study partner in Dublin then please drop me a PM. I'm coming from a non-science background but am trying to get through it as well as I can.

Advertisement