Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Smart Prime 6 4G phone for €89.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

decent phone or not lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Techmaster wrote: »
    Decent phone or not? er, well. For 100 euro you cant really expect a whole lot. Decent phone, no. Reasonable value for 100 euro, yeah sure. The 1GB RAM is probably hobbling it quite a bit.

For a first time smartphone buyer or someone with very limited requirements it seems just fine. Calling it a decent phone would be quite a stretch though, though of course that's not something you're really going to get at this price.

Have you used one? Owned one? It's getting pretty decent reviews online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Have you used one? Owned one? It's getting pretty decent reviews online.

did you see this review
    Bought this phone 2 days after its release. Click Settings> Security and it takes you back to previous screen. The phone has no security, doesn't allow you to set a pin or change settings within and it doesn't let you uninstall apps either. Better off getting the Sony Xperia E4g IMO. Battery is not 3000 mAh its 2500 mAh, it doesn't have 8GB internal memory it has 4GB. This phone is a massive disappointment.

• Advertisement

Yes I did. Vodafone fixed that issue with an update for the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Samsung core prime and Moto E 2nd gen are similar prices. With any smartphone it's all about which phone will get software updates and fixes the most often and the longest.

beauf wrote: »
    The Samsung core prime and Moto E 2nd gen are similar prices. With any smartphone it's all about which phone will get software updates and fixes the most often and the longest.

Horrible screen res. on both though, these days you want 720p at least. The Core Prime inparticular has horrible resolution, and a TFT screen. Yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 zeitner

I got one to tie me over until I see whats on offer later in the year. Am due an upgrade but not sold on S6 yet. I had an S4 and the vodafone prime isnt that far behind it in many ways. For 100 euro you wont do any better. Screen is big, battery is good, its surprisingly fast too so I would recommend buying one.

zeitner wrote: »
    I got one to tie me over until I see whats on offer later in the year. Am due an upgrade but not sold on S6 yet. I had an S4 and the vodafone prime isnt that far behind it in many ways. For 100 euro you wont do any better. Screen is big, battery is good, its surprisingly fast too so I would recommend buying one.

Cheers. I have an S5 myself but I am upgrading the mother from her ancient 8GB iPhone 4!

• Advertisement

Cheers. I have an S5 myself but I am upgrading the mother from her ancient 8GB iPhone 4!

In fairness I cant fault the vodafone prime and I was weeks looking at 1 to tie me over. Have had the S series all the way myself but debating trying an LG one or even HTC. Some nice ones out there.

zeitner wrote: »
    In fairness I cant fault the vodafone prime and I was weeks looking at 1 to tie me over. Have had the S series all the way myself but debating trying an LG one or even HTC. Some nice ones out there.

So many choices mate! The 720p screen & IPS display is a winner in my book. That, and the pretty much stock Lollipop 5.0. All for €99 you really can't go wrong. The Core Prime was another one I was looking at but as I said the display is terrible.

So many choices mate! The 720p screen & IPS display is a winner in my book. That, and the pretty much stock Lollipop 5.0. All for €99 you really can't go wrong. The Core Prime was another one I was looking at but as I said the display is terrible.

The core prime display didnt look good when I tried it but I use the phone for a lot of online stuff with work and the display is good. Its not going to be S6 crystal clear but I dont see a huge difference between the S4 display that I had before that died and this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Horrible screen res. on both though, these days you want 720p at least. The Core Prime inparticular has horrible resolution, and a TFT screen. Yuck!

On a 4.7 inch screen I wouldn't agree about need a minimum of 720p

ted1 wrote: »

5'' on the VF Smart Prime 6 would need 720p though.

800x480 on the Core Prime at 4.5'' is still very low PPI. The Sony e4G is better at 4.7 with qHD (960x540).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bondja80

It is dificult to unlock vodafone prime. I asked in few chinese mobile shops and they can't unlock. Only in one shop they told me that they can unlock for 40e, but you need to wait 7-8hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

ted1 wrote: »

I have a 4.7 inch 720p display, it's a very noticeable difference over something like a qHD display. The 1080p display on a HTC one m7 is noticeably even better.

I wish someone would release a first gen moto x sized phone with a m7 type 1080p display though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Only barely on topic, but I got a Nokia Lumia 530 yesterday for €30 to tide me over for a week or two while AppleCare replace my battery.

It's not bad at all when you consider the price, worth a look. Apparently the older 520 model is better, could find one of them for a steal somewhere.

Down to €89 now

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Down to €89 now

Price dropped quite a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I got one of these and have been impressed so far.
    I am not going to be playing games etc...so find its performance more that good enough for my needs. Battery life is great, well over 24 hours per charge so far.
    Screen res and picture quality is decent and phone call quality is good too.
    Wifi seems to have a decent range.

Downside is the vodafone bloatware and that the battery cannot be removed.

At 89€ it is a lot better than I had been expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Anyone get one and unlock it ?

Trojan wrote: »
    Only barely on topic, but I got a Nokia Lumia 530 yesterday for €30 to tide me over for a week or two while AppleCare replace my battery.

It's not bad at all when you consider the price, worth a look. Apparently the older 520 model is better, could find one of them for a steal somewhere.

Where did you get it for 30.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Techmaster, give over trolling if you want to stay on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Any unlock codes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

GeneralC wrote: »
    Any unlock codes?

Unlockcode4u.com do them for €7.50

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sold out everywhere

Picked one up today but I can't seem to get it unlocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Got one for the gf who needs very little from her phone and got it unlocked through a contact in VF. They had a bit of trouble with it though as the IMEI wasn't in their system and they had to go direct to the manufacturer. While I was waiting, I tried unlockcode4you and they weren't able to do it - came back to me several times looking for more info. Got my refund and guy in VF came through for me a few hours later.

She's on o2 UK, the 4G speed in blinding, the volume is great and she's happy with the screen. For her level of usage, battery seems pretty robust to. Great value phone.

• Advertisement

I'll have to return it today and I can't seem to get it unlocked anywhere :(

Looking for a phone similar to this but available on meteor, any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

There a bit of a disaster to get unlocked gf has one she's not using I'm on emobile so its no use to me twud do me fine if unlocking them were easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Looking for a phone similar to this but available on meteor, any suggestions?

I'm not sure of the specs of this but if u just want a phone for texts calls and a few apps try the huawei y550 on meteor

I have one since last December its very good screen and camera aren't great but nearly day and a half off a charge.
    I got it for 79 not sure what it is now as I'm not at home only on mobile

crasy dash wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the specs of this but if u just want a phone for texts calls and a few apps try the huawei y550 on meteor

I have one since last December its very good screen and camera aren't great but nearly day and a half off a charge.
    I got it for 79 not sure what it is now as I'm not at home only on mobile

The vodafone smart prime has a newer OS, better memory and camera spec than the huawei 550. Battery performs better too.

Huawei 550.
    PLATFORM OS Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
    Chipset Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410
    CPU Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53
    GPU Adreno 306
    MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB
    Internal 4 GB, 1 GB RAM
    CAMERA Primary 5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
    Features Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection
    Video 720p@30fps
    Secondary 2 MP

VOdafone prime 6.
    PLATFORM OS Android OS, v5.0 (Lollipop)
    GPU Adreno 306
    MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB
    Internal 8 GB, 1 GB RAM
    CAMERA Primary 8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
    Features Geo-tagging
    Video 1080p@30fps
    Secondary 2 MP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Would you not have researched this? Also, on what grounds will you ask for a refund? It's not broken...they don't want you to unlock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Menas wrote: »
    The vodafone smart prime has a newer OS, better memory and camera spec than the huawei 550. Battery performs better too.

Huawei 550.
    PLATFORM OS Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
    GPU Adreno 306
    MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB
    Internal 4 GB, 1 GB RAM
    CAMERA Primary 5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
    Features Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection
    Video 720p@30fps
    Secondary 2 MP

VOdafone prime 6.
    PLATFORM OS Android OS, v5.0 (Lollipop)
    GPU Adreno 306
    MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB
    Internal 8 GB, 1 GB RAM
    CAMERA Primary 8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
    Features Geo-tagging
    Video 1080p@30fps
    Secondary 2 MP

Yes, but if he can't get it working on meteor, that's all moot, isn't it?

Yes, but if he can't get it working on meteor, that's all moot, isn't it?

Exactly. Thats why I've been holding off.

The phone is still in its box with wrapper, they have to issue a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Can somebody let me know if the manages to get this unlocked. I tried the unlckcode4u too but they could not unlock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The phone is still in its box with wrapper, they have to issue a refund.

Not if you bought it in a store. Online, then yes for a short period under Distance Selling regulations.
    Remember, if you change your mind about a product you are not entitled to either return the goods or to a refund. In this case, a retailer may give you a refund or a credit note to the value of the goods but they are not obliged to do so.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_complaints/replacements_refunds_and_credit_notes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

I got mine unlocked after a lot of hassle. My friend is VF bill pay so he applied for unlock code for me. I think vf bill pay customers can unlock 3 per year. I tried 4 different unlock companies and had kept getting same unlock codes which were incorrect. I've had mine 3 weeks now and I have to say its a fantastic phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Feck it. Bought this phone for OH for a birthday present but am struggling to get it unlocked. :mad:

Having been plagued by phones with a crap battery life I have just gotten 48 hours out of this one, moderate use,...and it is still at 20% charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

After having disasters with cheap phones, I went for this phone about 3 months ago (I never seem to have the money for the more expensive ones and refuse to have a contract) and I love it. Battery life is fantastic (2 days) and with more memory. I also have an SD card. Usually I end up hating my phones after a couple of weeks but I still love the Vodafone prime 6. Well worth the money.

Is this likely to drop in price by the end of the year anyone reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Is this likely to drop in price by the end of the year anyone reckon.

Probably only by €10 or €20 quid if at all.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought the vodafone smart 4 turbo about year ago . At first it was a great phone but after a while it gets slow and battery goes to sh1te . The cost was roughly same .

I must have restored phone 5/6 times to try improve things to no avail.

The trouble and strife is getting upgrade soon so I'll rob her I phone 4 and stay away from these pups

Advertisement