Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night Time Reading Recommendations for My 3 Year Old

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Didn't want to start a new thread but looking for advise on books for kids themselves to read. I have one each in junior and senior infants and looking to purchase some books they can manage themselves.
    We have lots of books to read to them but feel especially with the senior infant that he could do with some that might interest him as he lost out on so much time in school this year and would like to encourage him to read himself a bit more.
    Looking specifically for sets aimed at early readers if anyone could recommend some. I have 1 boy and 1 girl so a mix of interest really!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

coffeyt wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread but looking for advise on books for kids themselves to read. I have one each in junior and senior infants and looking to purchase some books they can manage themselves.
    We have lots of books to read to them but feel especially with the senior infant that he could do with some that might interest him as he lost out on so much time in school this year and would like to encourage him to read himself a bit more.
    Looking specifically for sets aimed at early readers if anyone could recommend some. I have 1 boy and 1 girl so a mix of interest really!!

I started a horrid Henry early reader book last night with my 6 year old boy. We read it together.

Millem wrote: »
    I started a horrid Henry early reader book last night with my 6 year old boy. We read it together.

We do a lot of reading together at night and he likes to take a book to bed but he cannot manage a lot of them by himself yet as they are a lot more advanced really so I'm hoping for a few small sets with little stories he can take into bed and practice himself! I suppose one's along the lines of the early readers they use in school.
    Was hoping people could recommend a few box sets as there as so many on Amazon and it's difficult to see whether they are of interest to that age!

He is good at sounding out new words but feel he is lacking the confidence so small sets that he could manage would build his confidence I think.

We do a lot of reading together at night and he likes to take a book to bed but he cannot manage a lot of them by himself yet as they are a lot more advanced really so I'm hoping for a few small sets with little stories he can take into bed and practice himself! I suppose one's along the lines of the early readers they use in school.
    Was hoping people could recommend a few box sets as there as so many on Amazon and it's difficult to see whether they are of interest to that age!

He is good at sounding out new words but feel he is lacking the confidence so small sets that he could manage would build his confidence I think.

Oh ok. Do you mean like the “pm” books they do in school? What about those Oxford tree books with biff? I bought some books on Amazon they are schlolastic “first little readers”.
    You can YouTube them and see each level.
    I bought them for my JI boy during homeschooling lockdown.

Millem wrote: »
    Oh ok. Do you mean like the “pm” books they do in school? What about those Oxford tree books with biff? I bought some books on Amazon they are schlolastic “first little readers”.
    You can YouTube them and see each level.
    I bought them for my JI boy during homeschooling lockdown.

That's exactly it, I have lots of basic words books and then more advanced but need to stock up on the inbetween stuff if that makes sense.
    I'll have a look at the Oxford tree stuff and go from there. In fairness he can read the more advanced stories but I'm 100% sure he is just memorizing them from when I read them so looking for new stuff he can work through himself!

That's exactly it, I have lots of basic words books and then more advanced but need to stock up on the inbetween stuff if that makes sense.
    I'll have a look at the Oxford tree stuff and go from there. In fairness he can read the more advanced stories but I'm 100% sure he is just memorizing them from when I read them so looking for new stuff he can work through himself!

Sent you a pm which may or may not be of any use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

What about joining your local libary? The school books my children read in school are all in the libary and I've requested books they've shown an interest in. Currently have books from Sligo and Cork libary in my house.
    I buy some but they don't always like them whereas when they pick them out themselves there always read.

What about joining your local libary? The school books my children read in school are all in the libary and I've requested books they've shown an interest in. Currently have books from Sligo and Cork libary in my house.
    I buy some but they don't always like them whereas when they pick them out themselves there always read.

Thanks,we actually did join earlier in the year but our local library never fully reopened and their online system is really not the best. In fairness to the librarian she did try to pick out books for them but they weren't really age appropriate. As we couldn't go in to see ourselves what was available I ended up stopping calling in but will definitely make use of it once it reopens fully.

I ended up ordering two boxsets of early readers yesterday on Amazon that are aimed at age 4-7. I've started with the first 2 levels and will go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I second Horrid Henry, the early reader version

There’s a nice series called Poppy and Max

We started The Worst Witch for our senior infant. It’s nice but a bit too advanced yet. Not in pronouncing the words but understanding what they all mean.

The Mr Men books are alright too and often funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bee06 wrote: »
    It’s not a series but my 2 year old loves the Giraffe the Pelly and me by Roald Dahl. We started a few other ones but they were too advanced.

Add the enormous crocodile and you’re getting near a series :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but the 'Maisy' series is excellent and is based on real life experiences. Maisy goes to the dentist, to playschool, the city etc.

Both my children absolutely loved the series at that age and still do.

The language is simple enough that the child can read along and understand.

Oh, another series that is lovely for that age is Pip and Posy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

The Lonely Beast series by Chris Judge are perennial favourites here.

Also anything by Chris Haughton. For anyone with children in Gaelscoileanna, his books have been translated into Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but the 'Maisy' series is excellent and is based on real life experiences. Maisy goes to the dentist, to playschool, the city etc.

Both my children absolutely loved the series at that age and still do.

The language is simple enough that the child can read along and understand.

Oh, another series that is lovely for that age is Pip and Posy.

Not a patch on daisy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think hearing rhyme is very important for young children. These are a real hit atm with my 4yo boy...

‘The Dinosaur that Pooped a Pirate’ (there’s a whole hilarious series!)
    and ‘It Wasn’t Me’ by Lucy Barnard about a poor dog who gets blamed for all the mischief in the house (great moral tale about telling the truth as an added bonus.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We recently read The Twits which was good craic and followed that up with the Giraffe, The Pelly & Me. We're onto James & The Giant Peach at the moment, though I think that maybe a little too old for her. She really seems to like the Roald Dahl books. They are written in a very natural way, there's a real flow to things.
    For contrast I bought her some Holly Webb books and we read one about a Unicorn. It was fine, she liked it but it was overly girly (I know it's aimed at little ladies), it just didn't seem as naturally written. Still, she liked it and we have another to read.

I'll certainly look into the other suggestions that have been mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement