Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSISS versus Maths

Options
  • 19-06-2020 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    Applying for CAO this year. Sat leaving cert last year, got 589 points, and studied engineering in Trinity. Trinity was sound, but found course quite boring, in particular the materials science stuff, and decided to step out and consider options...
    Fast forward to now, the year has gone by pretty quickly, and trying to make sure I make the best choice on the CAO. Im down to Maths or MSISS in Trinity.
    I got a H1 in Maths, physics and accounting, so should have aptitude for either course.

Im interested in the idea of the maths course being maybe more research based, as opposed to the MSISS course being more business based. But im torn in thinking a full maths course could be too heavy on one topic, and MSISS might give a better mix.

Also, it appears MSISS has excellent employment opportunities on qualifying. Maths would probably require a post grad.

If I was to pick an ideal job, it would be as an analyst, but ideally in a more science type field. Is that open to MSISS graduates.

Any advice welcomed. Other posts on this are from 2004/2008 so looking for something more current.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ruruty

I’ve just finished a maths degree in Trinity so I’ll try and give you as much of an insight as I can. On the surface if I was comparing the two courses, I would say that the maths course is more abstract and theoretical while MSISS seems to be more employment focused and practical. For 3rd and 4th year of maths you choose all your modules so you can focus more on whatever area interests you most, though it’s more or less impossible to avoid taking some pure maths modules. If you take statistics modules, they can also be chosen by MSISS students, so if you’re interested in stats, you can come at it from either side.
    I would say the maths course is potentially a more flexible degree, there are loads of different areas you can go into, I know recent graduates who have gone directly into business consulting, actuary, data analytics and computer programming without doing a post grad. That might not seem too broad, but something like data analytics can be used in anything from sports analytics to disease modelling and the general skills you learn through the maths degree can be applied to many other areas. The MSISS degree would definitely be seen more as being more focused on business/finance, so if you want to go into more scientific field then the maths degree might suit better. If you wanted to go into business analytics, you can do it with a maths degree but the MSISS course would probably give you a better skillset.
    That being said, while I think it’s good to have an idea about what area you’d like to work in, to me it sounds like you could do what you want to with either course, so I’d have a good look at the topics covered in both courses and choose what interests you most. The maths course is definitely not for everyone so I’d make sure you’d find the content interesting before choosing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Methos1100

Cheers mate, really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 c32341231

My sister is studying MSISS at the moment in third year. She enjoys it but be aware that there is an immense workload involved even if you are a very capable student. However, graduate opportunities are excellent imo. Study abroad is also an option. You will have to arrange an internship yourself if you want one, as this is not an option within the course. You will study a wide range of subjects such as statistics, programming, and economics. Hope this helps.

Advertisement