Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road rage

• 16-05-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

I have been the recipient of a road rage incident but never until yesterday felt any inclination to have an interaction with someone doing something idiotic.

Very agressive, driving too fast weaving in and out, then I spotted the N plate on the car. The car was beside me in the next lane at the lights it was a girld of about 2O driving and using he moblie.

So tempted to role down the window and shout put the phone away you F...idiot but I didnt.

so anyone ever give in to road rage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not sure about road rage. But on the M4 today two motorbikes racing each other at over 150Km, weaving in and out of traffic and overtaking cars in the right hand side, which were overtaking over a truck at the time. Crazy stuff.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've switched off the engine and just sat in the car in a standoff where the other car shouldn't have come towards me. He wanted a row but I didn't so much a turn my head when he was at the window, which luckily seemed to annoy him more, but he reversed in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

mariaalice wrote: »
    So tempted to role down the window

Its 2019, that’s the window’s role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I've switched off the engine and just sat in the car in a standoff where the other car shouldn't have come towards me. He wanted a row but I didn't so much a turn my head when he was at the window, which luckily seemed to annoy him more, but he reversed in the end.

And everyone clapped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Angliru wrote: »
    And everyone clapped?

Of course they did. Now, begone.

Of course they did. Now, begone.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I have been the recipient of a road rage incident but never until yesterday felt any inclination to have an interaction with someone doing something idiotic.

Very agressive, driving too fast weaving in and out, then I spotted the N plate on the car. The car was beside me in the next lane at the lights it was a girld of about 2O driving and using he moblie.

So tempted to role down the window and shout put the phone away you F...idiot but I didnt.

What even is this thread? You were were going to give out to someone for their bad behaviour but instead you didn't do ****, and now you're congratulating yourself that you didn't "give in" to it? :confused:

If someone is legitimately acting badly then they probably deserve some complaining and probably yes abuse. If you're too scared to do anything fine, but don't act like you're on some kind of upper ground because you were too timid to actually tell them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What even is this thread? You were were going to give out to someone for their bad behaviour but instead you didn't do ****, and now you're congratulating yourself that you didn't "give in" to it? :confused:

If someone is legitimately acting badly then they probably deserve some complaining and probably yes abuse. If you're too scared to do anything fine, but don't act like you're on some kind of upper ground because you were too timid to actually tell them off.

I dont belivev in being aggressive and I was on my way to work. I satisifed my self by fantasising that the Garda spot her behavior and she gets 5 point on her licence or is put off the road to cool her heals for a while:P Also I am a coward with a strong sence of self preservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Not sure about road rage. But on the M4 today two motorbikes racing each other at over 150Km, weaving in and out of traffic and overtaking cars in the right hand side, which were overtaking over a truck at the time. Crazy stuff.

They flew past me too. I was in the overtaking lane at the time. I was only in it about 10 to 15 seconds and they past me on the inside between the two lanes. Pr1cks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,462 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't agree with ever getting out of your car to argue with someone, if I felt under threat from someone coming at me with agression trying to open my door or break in to the car to get at me I'd drive over them without much thought, tough luck for them, always stay in your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Not "giving in" as such (...I don't think) but on at least 2 occasions, clearly yes.

One, was when the car that I was safely overtaking (mirror-signal-manoeuvre & everything) put their foot down in the middle of the manoeuvre to prevent me from completing it, and I couldn't out-accelerate it (nor did the other car try to) and it was unsafe to slow down and fold back in behind him (queue of cars behind him was also accelerating towards overtaking). So I just steadily pulled over back into my lane towards the other car, chicken game-like. I was that incensed, I do believe I would have gone all the way to pushing him into the roadside, if he hadn't given in first.

Other was a white van that cut me up very badly, at a junction with 2 lanes going into 1. I beeped & flashed headlights (...as you do). Guy slammed anchors and parked the van at an angle, and got out, looked like a right scrote spoiling for a fight (think Brad Pit in Snatch...minus the looks obvs). I'd stopped a good 10 yards behind (had a feeling he was going to be an idiot, with how fast he braked + angle), so I didn't engage him verbally, just steered the car towards him & revved + played the clutch (you-come-nearer-I'll-f****-flatten-you). He huffed & puffed then got back in his van & drove off.

Mostly I'm very danger-aware & passive, too many idiots on road to be bothered by every tool going. Poster above is absolutely right, as well: don't open your door, don't get out of your car (and if you're stationary, grab your smartphone/dashcam & record). In a queue of cars, always leave yourself enough room at front, to move your car a few yards either way should you ever need to. Moving so makes it that much harder for an idiot (or carjacker or...) looking to open or kick your door/smash your window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

I alway sign to the op if he/ she has a phone stuck to the ear,also a prolonged long blast of the horn,know it's crazy,but it gets up my ****ing nose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the thing is if someone makes an error and does something you don't like and you respond by hitting the horn and flashing the lights, you are actually running the risk of provoking road rage. You know nothing about the other guy and it's possible nowadays he could get out with a machete. It's best to swear under your breath and let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Isambard wrote: »
    the thing is if someone makes an error and does something you don't like and you respond by hitting the horn and flashing the lights, you are actually running the risk of provoking road rage. You know nothing about the other guy and it's possible nowadays he could get out with a machete. It's best to swear under your breath and let it go.
    That's possible,but no excuse for having a ****ing phone to ones ear whilst driving, FFS you can get a Bluetooth thingy for as little as 30 euro

my apologies, I was actually replying to the guy before you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Boards rage lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Isambard wrote: »
    (since you were replying to me)

The thing is, if everyone does like you and condones another driver's dangerous/reckless behaviour (which is what I described, and was the case, not just "an error"), he/she has no incentive to mitigate their driving ways/correct their "error", until and unless caught in the act by police officers (the likelihood of which for drivers like these, is higher than for the average driver...but still very remote).

There is a difference between acting (wrongly) like a self-appointed police(wo)man, and drawing another driver's attention to a grave/dangerous "error" (grave as in: if the 'normal' driver doesn't take evasive /urgent action, there absolutely would be an accident/collision). There is also, of course, a difference between tooting the horn in the heat if the moment, and emailing the constabulary with a dashcam video file some time later.

But doing nothing as you suggest, is also a decision (it always is): it is a decision to condone the other's dangerous/reckless driving. You might be happy to continue sharing roads with ever more drivers like these. I'm not.

that's one way to look at it, but the horn and the headlamp flash are there solely to warn of your approach.

I’ve given the finger more times than I can remember, lit up the horn many many times, headlights on driving behind people, rear fog on for people behind me and have had many “conversations” and a few full on shouting matches.

I do not fear away at all from letting other drivers that annoy me know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I was involved years ago in a road rage incident coming into Galway. Think it was around Terryland.
    Guy cut me off and gave me the finger when he did it.
    I was already in a foul mood and stupidly caught up to him and we both began acting the twats in the cars.
    He challenged me to a fist fight and thought **** it let's go then.
    He went to the left and I went to the right at the next crossroads.
    Eejits the pair of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

bear1 wrote: »
    I was involved years ago in a road rage incident coming into Galway. Think it was around Terryland.
    Guy cut me off and gave me the finger when he did it.
    I was already in a foul mood and stupidly caught up to him and we both began acting the twats in the cars.
    He challenged me to a fist fight and thought **** it let's go then.
    He went to the left and I went to the right at the next crossroads.
    Eejits the pair of us.

RONNIE ****ING PICKERING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Kilboor wrote: »
    RONNIE ****ING PICKERING

One of the funniest Road rage videos ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sad follow up to the glorious Ronnie Pickering tale here:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/698533/Ronnie-Pickering-road-rage-knocked-out-Hull-YouTube

But thankfully he was honoured by the good people of Hull.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/recognition-at-last-for-ronnie-do-you-know-who-i-am-pickering-37937936.html

Appalled to see he doesn't have a Wikipedia page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Taxi driver encroached on the roundabout yesterday as we were coming from his right. The oh beeped at him a few times. Tailgated and sat on his horn following us. As we pulled in he was shouting out the window asking why were we beeping us. He was trying to open his door shout and still beep the horn but forgot his handbrake! I knew him from school and when I shouted his name back to him he slid back into the car. And on he went about his business. Ridiculous carry on. :rolleyes:

Advertisement