Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus UCD Anti Social Behaviour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I was on the 155 into town last Friday night. We passed used on the dual carriageway just after 10pm. It's simple they just won't stop there at night.

I know the argument is they should stop there but in fairness if you badly need a bus there is another stop less than a 5 minute walk from the flyover stop and they will stop there. It's pretty simple, don't risk the main ucd stop just walk down the road.

The 155 driver stopped there and picked up a few people that you could tell were coming from UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Also due to the Student Raceday, but a 155 went to stop at the stop outside DCU heading into town but pulled away last second as there was loads of drunk students heading into town.
    The 4 that was behind it did stop however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was driving down the N11 tonight at 10.30pm saw a 155 heading up the flyover. Is that rare for buses at that hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ah....I was wondering what it was.

Student Race Day at Leopardstown,do you have any further information on the event,or the involvement of UCD itself in it ?

Sounds an interesting innovation in educational terms ?

It was sponsored by Spin 103 radio station, aimed at all 3rd level colleges, €20 entry. Afaik it's been running for a few years.

Heard a couple of people were shown the door for dealing Coke. Must be a chemistry student.

Also someone mentioned about inspectors getting out and doing their job, Aren't DB trying to get rid of as many inspectors as possible right now. Voluntary redundancy package in the pipeline and dozens of retirees not replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just got off the last 46a to DL there.
    When I was passing UCD, I saw both the last 145 and 46a going towards town, and both went under the flyover, completely skipping the stop outside UCD.
    Very bad form as I'm sure there's still some students looking to get those buses home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

p_haugh wrote: »
    Just got off the last 46a to DL there.
    When I was passing UCD, I saw both the last 145 and 46a going towards town, and both went under the flyover, completely skipping the stop outside UCD.
    Very bad form as I'm sure there's still some students looking to get those buses home.

This has been done for years.

39a doesn't even go into campus after 10pm.

What's bad form is the disgusting behaviour which is allowed to carry on year after year after year...

If you feel so bad go buy a bus and bring all those angels into town all boozed up....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is wholly unacceptable to have buses shown on the route planner that do not operate as advertised. If they do not want to operate such buses then change the timetable.
    It is wholly unacceptable for law abiding persons to be discriminated against by a public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It is wholly unacceptable to have buses shown on the route planner that do not operate as advertised. If they do not want to operate such buses then change the timetable.
    It is wholly unacceptable for law abiding persons to be discriminated against by a public service.

It is wholly unacceptable for law-abiding citizens already on the bus to be subjected to the zoological antics caused by some students who can't hold their drink.

It is wholly unacceptable for law-abiding citizens already on the bus to be subjected to the zoological antics caused by some students who can't hold their drink.

I couldn't agree more and dealing with this is is solution, not having a phantom bus service.

If all these stops were removed from the timetable and RTPI that would be honest and would lead to something being done. Instead this pretence continues.

As I said earlier in the thread, they need to break the cycle here. This may not be the ideal time to do it, but next September they need to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There are a few bad eggs in, say, Tallaght. Should everyone in Tallaght be prevented from getting the bus because of them?

Why is UCD different? The majority of students never cause a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

That is why the stop is served the majority of the time for the majority of the students.

There are a few bad eggs in, say, Tallaght. Should everyone in Tallaght be prevented from getting the bus because of them?

And buses are regularly pulled from parts of Tallaght at certain times of the night aswell due to scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I think your correct.

the buses in tallaght are regularly pulled at night due to anti social behavior. ballymun buses have also had to do this form time to time.

i wonder why there isn't a 5 page long thread complaining about the people of tallaght having to walk far further than 2 bus stops to get a bus service, and blaming the drivers for not stopping as opposed to the troublemakers?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is there a written rule to 46a drivers to miss out UCD ? For what hours and what days ? Is it only inbound or is it outbound as well

trellheim wrote: »
    Is there a written rule to 46a drivers to miss out UCD ? For what hours and what days ? Is it only inbound or is it outbound as well

As has been discussed..,. It is inbound only and Mon to Thurs inclusive....

After 22.00 at night.

This is no unwritten rule and union backed and it's up to driver to follow or not....

I fully understand why the drivers don't want to stop there but there should be agreed procedure with the unions it shouldn't simply down to driver discreation. If there are issues the driver should report it to control who would order all buses not to serve the stop for the rest of the night just like if there's stone throwing somewhere in Tallaght, Ballyfermot or Clondalkin. It should be the case that all buses serve the flyover or no buses serve the flyover on any given night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

It is inbound only and Mon to Thurs inclusive....

After 22.00 at night.

This is no unwritten rule and union backed and it's up to driver to follow or not....

SO if it is policy, why are the stops showing on RTPI ?

Why does the timetable https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/46a-21/ show UCD as a stop ? Why is there no notation showing "does not serve UCD inbound after 2200"

is it actually "in writing" but not actually "in writing"

trellheim wrote: »
    SO if it is policy, why are the stops showing on RTPI ?

Why does the timetable https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/46a-21/ show UCD as a stop ? Why is there no notation showing "does not serve UCD inbound after 2200"

is it actually "in writing" but not actually "in writing"

The company seem happy to continue on with blinkers on but then when things happen the driver is brought up to explain....

Not worth it

Tickityboo wrote: »
    That is why the stop is served the majority of the time for the majority of the students.

The stop should be served all the time, for the majority of students who are regular passengers on the bus, and other members of the public.

The stop should be served all the time, for the majority of students who are regular passengers on the bus, and other members of the public.

You wouldn't say that if you are a normal well behaved passenger as the bus is taken over with screaming/shrieking, something like singing and banging the floors and bottles everywhere....

• Advertisement

So they should have to put staff and passenger safety at risk because some of the people aren't causing trouble when they can just go to next stop or the one previous. So by your logic should DB also send buses into Jobstown after buses have already been stoned that night or does it only apply to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I couldn't agree more and dealing with this is is solution, not having a phantom bus service.

If all these stops were removed from the timetable and RTPI that would be honest and would lead to something being done. Instead this pretence continues.

As I said earlier in the thread, they need to break the cycle here. This may not be the ideal time to do it, but next September they need to do it.

It's up to UCD to police their campus not Dublin Bus.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I fully understand why the drivers don't want to stop there but there should be agreed procedure with the unions it shouldn't simply down to driver discreation. If there are issues the driver should report it to control who would order all buses not to serve the stop for the rest of the night just like if there's stone throwing somewhere in Tallaght, Ballyfermot or Clondalkin. It should be the case that all buses serve the flyover or no buses serve the flyover on any given night.

So you want a driver or passenger to be assaulted or injured before they pull services? No company can force an employee into a potentially dangerous situation and if UCD don't police their campus then the employees of another company are correct to not enter it. No one should be doing their job in fear.

UCD could resolve the issue very quickly by enforcing current laws and pulling student IDs from anti social students and removing non students from campus. But instead they are happy for Dublin Bus to get flack

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

As has been discussed..,. It is inbound only and Mon to Thurs inclusive....

After 22.00 at night.

After the student union attacked the drivers in the media it was changed by unions.

Inbound 7days a week after 22:00.... do not serve ucd due to persistent anti social behaviour.

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you want a driver or passenger to be assaulted or injured before they pull services? No company can force an employee into a potentially dangerous situation and if UCD don't police their campus then the employees of another company are correct to not enter it. No one should be doing their job in fear.

UCD could resolve the issue very quickly by enforcing current laws and pulling student IDs from anti social students and removing non students from campus. But instead they are happy for Dublin Bus to get flack

But what that's what DB have been doing for years in parts of Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Ballymun and Finglas only pulling services out of the area after there has been an attack on a bus. There are ways that it could be dealt with better for example sending out an inspector in a car to report back to the garage if there are any large groups of people drinking at bus stops and if there is tell drivers to skip the flyover.

I agree that UCD should be doing more and I would 100% agree with your suggestion of taking student IDs off students involved in anti social behaviour. A fair whack of the trouble is happening at stops off campus though aswell especially with the 46a, 145 and 155 with the 39a not going into the campus after 10 I believe.

But what that's what DB have been doing for years in parts of Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Ballymun and Finglas only pulling services out of the area after there has been an attack on a bus. There are ways that it could be dealt with better for example sending out an inspector in a car to report back to the garage if there are any large groups of people drinking at bus stops and if there is tell drivers to skip the flyover.

I agree that UCD should be doing more and I would 100% agree with your suggestion of taking student IDs off students involved in anti social behaviour. A fair whack of the trouble is happening at stops off campus though aswell especially with the 46a, 145 and 155 with the 39a not going into the campus after 10 I believe.

Your having a laugh chief inspector would call in everything is fine and continue on....

There is no respect for drivers and I can honestly say this and have many bring an occasion where I can back this up.

Drivers and decent passengers don't need to be subjected to these sorts.

Your having a laugh chief inspector would call in everything is fine and continue on....

There is no respect for drivers and I can honestly say this and have many bring an occasion where I can back this up.

Drivers and decent passengers don't need to be subjected to these sorts.

I get that. Sounds like there is a problem there with the inspectors needs to be sorted out. I thought most inspectors were ex drivers has the power gone to their head you'd think if they were ex drivers they'd understand what most would be going through. I think the NTA for all their worth should have boots on the ground monitoring these rather than just people sitting up in offices with little knowledge of the actual operational environment DB and GAI are facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There has never been more of a disconnect between drivers and inspectors/management as exists currently.

The result is that there are now people in Dublin Bus telling drivers how to drive a bus, without ever having driven one themselves.

I have no wish for drivers to be doing their job in fear, I want things dealt with. But I am not clear on what you expect UCD to do, are they stoning the bus on campus? More likely they are entering the bus and causing disruption on the public road.

I'm not sure non students on campus are the issue. Dublin Bus do not remove these people from the bus or identify and charge them. This is not down to the drivers. As I posted above, this route passes a depot and Garda station with a few stops, for all their bravado the students will calm down a lot if any action is taken against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's a big difference between pulling services from whole areas which have trouble compared to pulling services from 1 business that's causing trouble. We have antisocial problems in several areas but 1 university that can't control it's students is easier to skip than half of Dublin. Maybe if they figure out how to solve the antisocial issues in UCD they could expand it and then we wouldn't have to curtail any services.
    I have no wish for drivers to be doing their job in fear, I want things dealt with. But I am not clear on what you expect UCD to do, are they stoning the bus on campus? More likely they are entering the bus and causing disruption on the public road.

Well then you can understand why the drivers are skipping stops where there's a potential for trouble.

It's UCD students that are the problem so UCD has to solve the problem.
    I'm not sure non students on campus are the issue. Dublin Bus do not remove these people from the bus or identify and charge them. This is not down to the drivers. As I posted above, this route passes a depot and Garda station with a few stops, for all their bravado the students will calm down a lot if any action is taken against them.

It was more for dealing with issues on the campus. Remove student ID's from students and remove non students who are causing problems, which is what they are supposed to do according to their own rules.

• Advertisement

There's a big difference between pulling services from whole areas which have trouble compared to pulling services from 1 business that's causing trouble. We have antisocial problems in several areas but 1 university that can't control it's students is easier to skip than half of Dublin. Maybe if they figure out how to solve the antisocial issues in UCD they could expand it and then we wouldn't have to curtail any services.

But it's not just UCD they're skipping it's the stops outside UCD along the N11 and on the flyover that they're skipping aswell it's not just UCD students that are suffering people live in the area around UCD and need to use the bus sometimes after 10 o'clock at night not everyone using the bus there is a student.

As I say I don't have a problem with DB drivers not wanting to stop there but this should be communicated to intending passengers similar to the way if buses are pulled from Jobstown DB notify passengers and they're not skipping half of Dublin it's usually estates after incidence of stone throwing are you aware of this?

Advertisement