Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes through your mind when you see a non-smoker hanging out with a smoker?

Options
  • 09-03-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What do you think of people who don't smoke hanging out with smokers? I think they look kind of silly. I distinctly remember when I first formed my opinion about this.

In college there used to be these two guys who smoked. So every now and then you'd see them hanging around outside various building. But sometimes I'd see this other non-smoker I knew hanging around with them as well. I felt like he was letting himself down in a way... not because he was hanging around with them, but because he was hanging around with them when they were smoking. I could also never really view him as one of them. It was something to do with the fact that he would have to go wherever went in order to be with them. Now don't get me wrong, plenty of others would talk to these two smokers - it's just you wouldn't see them hanging out with them when they'd be doing the smoking.

In these situations the smoker will typically be the one leaning against the wall, and the non-smoker standing opposite them having smoke blown in their face. If ever I have a smoker call me over as I pass by, I will only stop for them very briefly before continue walking. It's like as if they feel like dirt out in the rain and just want something to talk with.

I made this mistake before. I was coming back from the car to go into the hotel, and ended up talking to someone amongst a bunch of smokers. I can only imagine what an idiot I looked like with my hands in my pockets. I can still see that idiot in front of me blow smoke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Agreed OP.

Smokers and non-smokers should be segregated.

Would also be in favor for pre rolled smokers and those who smoke rollies to be separated but one step at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

'something to talk with' is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I can only imagine what an idiot I looked like with my hands in my pockets.
    Presumably that wasn't your first ever clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Agreed OP.

Smokers and non-smokers should be segregated.

Would also be in favor for pre rolled smokers and those who smoke rollies to be separated but one step at a time.

Cigar and pipe smokers, a dying breed, deserve a bit of segregation too.
    As do doobie smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

as a non smoker, would never stand with smokers. ugh!
    having said that some people don't seem to mind secondhand smoke and smelling disgusting, but hey, each to his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gossiping Women

'something to talk with' is right.
    Ah what do I care. Where are they now? Probably in hospital the miserable b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You seem to struggle with the interpretation of many aspects of these social conventions.

Do you have a bossy cousin who takes over at funerals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

some of the best people i know are smokers.

some of the most tedious and joyless people i know are non smokers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The smokers love to watch the company indoors, then escape to the "diary room" or Commentator's Box that is also known as the Smoking area or Great Outdoors.
    There they light up, offer each other cigs and matches, and compare notes on the goody-two-shoes community still indoors.
    It's like permission to be an outsider, to take a break from social duty.
    And of course, tell dirty jokes and make bitchy snide comments. No wonder your smoke-free friend loved to join them in that select clique. No wonder you're jealous!

#No. 1: Smokers have more fun
    #No. 2: signed by a nostalgic ex-smoker

Well that's Asperger's in text form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing goes through my mind about it.

Children should be kept apart from people who smoke cos they know no better. Everyone else knows what they're in for with second hand smoke and its entirely their own business to be around it or not.

Mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gossiping Women

Well that's Asperger's in text form.
    Another armchair psychologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That dope smokes too. All bossy women seem to smoke. Interesting

I thought it was you all right.

Edit: Deleting the post doesn't kill the quoting of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I really couldnt care less whether or not people smoke and it wouldnt even pass my mind.

The only people who should be staying away from smokers are children.. pregnant women and people who hate smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Couple lads I know their other half’s smoke. Don’t know how they live with it. Yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Couldn’t agree more OP. I was once seen talking to somebody too. I still feel like such an idiot. Don’t know if I’ll ever get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

As long as they're smoking joints I'm happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Day Lewin wrote: »
    The smokers love to watch the company indoors, then escape to the "diary room" or Commentator's Box that is also known as the Smoking area or Great Outdoors.
    There they light up, offer each other cigs and matches, and compare notes on the goody-two-shoes community still indoors.
    It's like permission to be an outsider, to take a break from social duty.
    And of course, tell dirty jokes and make bitchy snide comments. No wonder your smoke-free friend loved to join them in that select clique. No wonder you're jealous!

#No. 1: Smokers have more fun
    #No. 2: signed by a nostalgic ex-smoker

You forgot sneaky spliffs too. :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Usually “what will I have for dinner tomorrow” or “who would be harder to beat in a fight, one horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Who the fcuk cares??????

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Well there's plenty of smoking hot people hanging around with not so smoking hot people...

I think to myself, oh my they're easy on the eye.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Passive smoker-what a cheapskate

What do you think of people who don't smoke hanging out with smokers? I think they look kind of silly. I distinctly remember when I first formed my opinion about this.

In college there used to be these two guys who smoked. So every now and then you'd see them hanging around outside various building. But sometimes I'd see this other non-smoker I knew hanging around with them as well. I felt like he was letting himself down in a way... not because he was hanging around with them, but because he was hanging around with them when they were smoking. I could also never really view him as one of them. It was something to do with the fact that he would have to go wherever went in order to be with them. Now don't get me wrong, plenty of others would talk to these two smokers - it's just you wouldn't see them hanging out with them when they'd be doing the smoking.

In these situations the smoker will typically be the one leaning against the wall, and the non-smoker standing opposite them having smoke blown in their face. If ever I have a smoker call me over as I pass by, I will only stop for them very briefly before continue walking. It's like as if they feel like dirt out in the rain and just want something to talk with.

I made this mistake before. I was coming back from the car to go into the hotel, and ended up talking to someone amongst a bunch of smokers. I can only imagine what an idiot I looked like with my hands in my pockets. I can still see that idiot in front of me blow smoke.

The only thing I'd find more degrading than you hanging out with smokers, is A FEMALE obviously belittling you by doing things like asking how you are during breakfast, asking you to fetch milk during a family occasion when supplies are low, or even going so far as to reassure you that you'd do well in a job related situation. Utter bitches, out to demean you left, right and centre.

I only hope that your magnificence is properly recognized by FEMALES in the future, and that they learn to accept their place and not speak to you out of turn.

One can but hope.

Advertisement