Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have ye read this absolute tripe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"20 Offer your seat to pregnant women. Whether you’re on the Luas or in a maternity hospital."

What if she's just fat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

I got a great laugh out of this. Sinn Fein, from semtex to tampax. :pac:

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1103971135945916416?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You don't think that's because women are ..... generally shorter? Weird mentality that because women are built differently to men that their sports are inferior. In my eyes, watching Simone Biles do a double twisting double layout somersault is equally as impressive as watching a big tall man jumping over hurdles.

Obviously women's hurdles are lower than men's hurdles. My point was that they are too low.

This article explains it better than I can:

http://hurdlesfirstbeta.com/free-articles/issues/raise-em/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Naos wrote: »
    ... because men can run and finish the race faster in both events.

We're still talking about athletics here, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

How is it total ****e? Yes, female gymnasts have very impressive skills and are extremely athletic.

Equally, female sprinters and hurdlers are impressive but not as impressive as the men, because men can run and finish the race faster in both events.

But why can't you see it as being impressive for your size? Women and men are built differently. I watch both women's and men's athletics, and I don't think the women are less impressive because they're physically not able to do what the men can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I find that article to be misogynistic .

I'm a woman. Who TF is Cardi B? Am I supposed to know that because I'm female. Am I supposed to be inyerested in celebrity gossip or something? I've never spent more than a few quid on toiletries in my life. I've never taken a selfie and have no idea what my light is.

An article written on IW day basically reducing women to stupid, vain and celebrity obsessed and men to inconsiderate, uncouth morons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's total sh1te. You don't think female gymnasts have impressive skills and athleticism? You don't think sprinters and hurdlers are impressive?
    Gymnastics is pretty equal on the impressive skills and athleticism alright. Track and field not nearly so much. The men have simply more power on display and it makes it more interesting to watch. Any sport requiring speed, power and finesse male competitors are almost exclusively better at it. Viewing figures reflect this and since the world is made up of 50/50 men and women viewers...

Mind you some sports like motor racing should have more women in it. Brute strength is not nearly as much in play as it once was and there have been a few women drivers who were bloody unreal. Michelle Mouton in rallying a good example. Came within a fleas ball hair of winning the world championship. While driving cars best described as 600 horsepower death machines. Through forests. Sideways. Then she went over to the US and tackled their Pike's Peak time trial. They gave her all sorts of static beforehand and she took the record, near out of spite. She actually strained the tendons in her right leg mashing the loud pedal to the floor so hard. How nature fitted ovaries that gigantic into the frame of a small French woman I'll never know. Our own Rosemary Smith wasn't too shabby at peddling cars either and a couple of years ago became the oldest person to drive a Formula One car. .

The Times "article"? Their usual hail mary attempt to stay relevant for their ChickThink(c) readers in the leafy suburbs. Same old.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

How is it total ****e? Yes, female gymnasts have very impressive skills and are extremely athletic.

Equally, female sprinters and hurdlers are impressive but not as impressive as the men, because men can run and finish the race faster in both events.

That’s kinda missing the point of what makes athletics races exciting and interesting to watch. Women are slower than men but they are competing against other women and it’s the close finishes and comebacks and strategies within the races that are exciting.

So on your 100m race question, hell yes, I find the women’s race as interesting as the men’s.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    "20 Offer your seat to pregnant women. Whether you’re on the Luas or in a maternity hospital."

What if she's just fat?

Doctor: It looks like you're pregnant.

Woman: oh, my gawd, I'm pregnant?

Doctor: No, I mean you look pregnant.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I find that article to be misogynistic .

I'm a woman. Who TF is Cardi B? Am I supposed to know that because I'm female. Am I supposed to be inyerested in celebrity gossip or something? I've never spent more than a few quid on toiletries in my life. I've never taken a selfie and have no idea what my light is.

An article written on IW day basically reducing women to stupid, vain and celebrity obsessed and men to inconsiderate, uncouth morons.

On the whole, yeah, I agree. There are lots of women like this, but the type I'd go out of my way to avoid. Is 'basic' a sexist term? Because that's who this article seems aimed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I don't read articles like that anymore. They are simply for clicks and therefore advertising revenue for the newspapers. Every newspaper has one of those journalists. Paid to write articles line that. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

That’s kinda missing the point of what makes athletics races exciting and interesting to watch. Women are slower than men but they are competing against other women and it’s the close finishes and comebacks and strategies within the races that are exciting.

So on your 100m race question, hell yes, I find the women’s race as interesting as the men’s.
    But why can't you see it as being impressive for your size? Women and men are built differently. I watch both women's and men's athletics, and I don't think the women are less impressive because they're physically not able to do what the men can do.

Okay let's try this, since you brought up sprinting tell me: The objective is to get from the starting line to the 100m finish line as quickly as you can.

Taking gender out of the equation, would you rather watch the top 11-20 sprinters in the world race or the top 1-10 sprinters in the world race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I’ve read the article. The only point I agreed with is No 20. This is because I know what it’s like to be heavily pregnant and of course it’s nicer to sit down on public transport than stand. The rest of the article is an embarrassing load of added on drivel any journalist should be ashamed to sign their name to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah being a woman is all about expensive shampoo, selfies and celebrities...Jesus christ...how about not writing patronising articles for women's day.

Okay let's try this, since you brought up sprinting tell me: The objective is to get from the starting line to the 100m finish line as quickly as you can.

Taking gender out of the equation, would you rather watch the top 11-20 sprinters in the world race or the top 1-10 sprinters in the world race?

That's missing the point, though. Men and women are not physically built the same. That's why they don't race together. You might as well ask why does anyone watch cycling races when Formula 1 cars go faster.

I enjoy watching men's races and I enjoy watching women's races. I don't find one more or less impressive than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Do you know the records between men an women. There is not a second between them in the 100m. Your inability to give women praise says a lot about you.

In relation to these articles are take no notice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭AllForIt

12 Try have a smidge more spatial awareness at gigs and festivals. Don’t stand directly in front of women a foot shorter than you and proceed to block her view and mosh. It’s a buzzwrecker.

13 Another spatial awareness tip? Don’t insist on walking a few steps behind a woman late at night. Pass them out or cross the road. A small gesture that makes women feel infinitely safer and secure.

This one stood out for me as the most ironic. I'm surprised women even notice anyone walking behind them.

I’ve read the article. The only point I agreed with is No 20. This is because I know what it’s like to be heavily pregnant and of course it’s nicer to sit down on public transport than stand. The rest of the article is an embarrassing load of added on drivel any journalist should be ashamed to sign their name to.
    Surely offering ones seat to a pregnant woman is basic manners for everyone, male or female? Just like offering your seat to older people ?

Plenty of people have good reasons to sit down that don't involve pregnancy. I have a disability (not immediately obvious) and need to sit on public transport, yet I'm expected to stand for pregnant women. Why? I didn't choose to be disabled.

AllForIt wrote: »
    12 Try have a smidge more spatial awareness at gigs and festivals. Don’t stand directly in front of women a foot shorter than you and proceed to block her view and mosh. It’s a buzzwrecker.

13 Another spatial awareness tip? Don’t insist on walking a few steps behind a woman late at night. Pass them out or cross the road. A small gesture that makes women feel infinitely safer and secure.

This one stood out for me as the most ironic. I'm surprised women even notice anyone walking behind them.
    Your wrong on that one, believe me.

• Advertisement

13. Really? That's pretty basic common sense. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Do you know the records between men an women. There is not a second between them in the 100m. Your inability to give women praise says a lot about you.
    e

Do you know how HUGE a whole second is in a 100m sprint? World records over decades are shaved by fractions of seconds. That is an enormous gap

No idea why so many men think women have no spatial awareness. If it has to come down to gender, I think men are far more likely not to have any awareness of the space they take up and people around them. I've never met a single woman who isn't well aware of who is behind her when walking home alone at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

No idea why so many men think women have no spatial awareness. If it has to come down to gender, I think men are far more likely not to have any awareness of the space they take up and people around them. I've never met a single woman who isn't well aware of who is behind her when walking home alone at night.

No idea why anyone thinks spatial awareness is a gender issue. Including the author of that article

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

These people dont exist in real life. If they do, they are a very small number

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

OP was offended by a tongue in cheek, puff piece article and accordingly posts a deadly serious, long winded diatribe. Hilarious stuff. You are looking to be offended far more than you (wrongly) think feminists are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

That's missing the point, though. Men and women are not physically built the same. That's why they don't race together. You might as well ask why does anyone watch cycling races when Formula 1 cars go faster.

I enjoy watching men's races and I enjoy watching women's races. I don't find one more or less impressive than the other.

How is it missing the point? If I am watching an event then I want to watch the best athletes in the world do it. If that so happens to be a woman then fair play. My question was straight forward yet you won't answer it for some reason?

Did you even read what I wrote? Firstly, I already gave credited to female athletes and stated their skills & athleticisim was very impressive. Secondly, I propositioned a question taking gender out of the equation - why don't you answer it?

Replace sprinting with rugby then. How much of the women six nations have you watched? Or even the U-21's male six nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In relation to these articles are take no notice

The world records for 100, 200, 400 and 800 metres all date back to the 1980's for women. Not worth watching the current crop. Men's times have kept improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Surely offering ones seat to a pregnant woman is basic manners for everyone, male or female? Just like offering your seat to older people ?

Yes of course it is. I just didn’t think I had to spell that out. It’s how any normal person would think.
    Plenty of people have good reasons to sit down that don't involve pregnancy. I have a disability (not immediately obvious) and need to sit on public transport, yet I'm expected to stand for pregnant women. Why? I didn't choose to be disabled.

I have never asked or expected any man or woman to give me their seat because I’m pregnant. It’s their seat and if they don’t want to that’s completely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Do you know how HUGE a whole second is in a 100m sprint? World records over decades are shaved by fractions of seconds. That is an enormous gap

My point was in his point it is faster as if a second is an eternity in WATCHING IT

Advertisement