Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jaybro7

Yep there’s 2 stages for interviews.

1st stage is just with HR representative as far as I know and then if successful the 2nd interview (with different competencies) is with line manager/station manager (I had 2 plus a hr rep for my 2nd interview)

both interviews are similar in that you give examples of each competency but 2nd one the managers involved will generally ask a few more follow on questions that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valhalla42

Did you get offered dates for the interview that was very quick they are not hanging about this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Same, they are so quick. I was only there Wednesday and have lost hope already 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

I presume ye applied for Dublin. I applied for for Galway and still waiting to hear back about stage 1 tests. Could be a long wait for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 superfly75

I applied for Galway back in 2020 and Im still waiting 🤪🤪.

• Advertisement

yep I’m Waterford and still waiting myself. All stages done and dusted but no movement since 🤷🏻 Still holding out hope that I’ll hear or a start date before the end of summer but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There has been a few in Waterford, 2 currently doing hours and the first women if i am correct. There must have been 3-4 others in 2020/21 as well. Lot of new faces these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 071Class

All moving very fast now for Dublin area driver applicants.

Stage 2 test sat last Friday.

Email received for first round interview today.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

Not looking good for me so. Did test's on Monday. No email yet🥺

• Advertisement

Same, Well Wednesday. We gave it our best shot

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

The waiting is a nightmare. Do you get an email to say you didn't pass ? At least you would know.

No, haven’t had any rejection email yet. But considering some guys have been hearing back already I’m just assuming I’ve not made it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ormonde13

Hi all,

just wondering, do IR normally get in touch after doing a reference check or do they just leave you waiting until they have a start date for you?

my references were contacted 6 weeks ago but after that I’ve heard nothing. Any light you can shed would be most helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 intercity124

You are left waiting, and waiting, length of time depends on what depot you are in for.

Thank you for the response!!

I went for Dublin, at least I know now it’s a waiting game and not a case of getting lost in the system!!

theres quite a few of us in that position I’m afraid. Just a waiting game

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Designator

Hi all,

applied for the train driver jobs with Mallow as my primary station and cork as secondary , did the two rounds of questions online but haven’t heard anything since then and that was probably two months ago.. Anyone from cork get to the in person questionnaires or interviews yet ? Or is it just a case of waiting until a vacancy comes up in my depot of choice?

thanks

after flicking through the thread i see that there is an army of people waiting 😂 hopefully the training school ramps up the numbers soon! Have you been waiting long yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Anyone know if there are any upcoming Dublin/Dart start dates or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Training school could probably only do a max of 2 classes at any one time in Inchicore. I don’t know if the smaller facility in Mallow is open at the mo. Max of 9-10 per class.

Dublin depots are being prioritised.

Good luck to all here.

I’d say Cork is your best bet. Mallow being a small depot probably has drivers waiting on a transfer in. Cork has a good few vacancies at the moment.

I did hear They had the maintenance team in the last couple of weeks doing up some of the rooms in inchicore that had been left throughout covid. Not sure if this will have an effect on increased class numbers/increased classes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Designator

Anyone know of any other positions like this which would be good to apply to for a career change and a better wage? I’ve also applied for the bus Eireann driver training programme , but would like to apply for as many public job positions like this as possible around the Munster area preferably .

There’s only a limited amount of simulator booths. This will dictate how many drivers that can be trained at any one time.

Had actually forgotten about that. That’s a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 intercity124

They did have some simulators in Mallow as well. Not sure what the situation is with those. Wonder how many more are going to be hired, I get the feeling its going to be another class of Dublin drivers whenever they do start new classes. Are they losing a lot of drivers in Dublin or are they all filling the vacancies in the regional depots through internal transfers. They seem to be chasing their tail getting Dublin up to the required numbers, the focus has been Dublin since I applied in 2019!

Theres a good few drivers in the Dublin depots waiting on transfers back to their preferred locations. A good lot of drivers out on long term sick, some will probably never drive again. A not insignificant amount of drivers have been removed from the grade in the last number of years because of “disciplinary” issues (some unfairly imo) A lot of retirements coming up in the next 2-3 years especially in Dublin. Lastly a number of new recruits just upped and quit.

The company is always chasing their tail especially in Dublin. I actually feel they are trying their best to get the numbers up even though it doesn’t seem like it from the outside. A big problem the company have is that there’s a fair few drivers with 40 years service and are 60 and can retire with a months notice. It’s hard on the company to plan for this as the driver with 40 years could decide to stay until 65 and then decide **** it I’ll do another year till 66. They could also decide I’m outta here next week. Does the company take on a replacement and potentially have too many drivers with the associated costs. Hard to get the balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jrey2020

Has anyone received an invite for an interview for your 2022 driver application for cork/mallow? Starting to think I didnt get through to the next phase. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's been mentioned that they are getting through the Dublin positions first. But also that some people may have started in Dublin, and are waiting for transfers to other parts of the country. So less pressure to fill those positions with new recruits.

Advertisement