Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

In fairness he probably has it at that price because he knows people will offer him a fraction of whatever price he puts on it, regardless of how reasonable it is. If it's worth say €100 they'll offer €20 so by putting it at €380 he might actually end up getting a decent offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

martyc5674 wrote: »
    But the amount of people,sellers included who wont take paypal is ridiculous...they expect you to go to the inconvenience of a bank transfer for something worth a fiver"so they dont have to pay 20cent to paypal.
    "check my feedback bud"
    Its typical irish, being short sighted...I wont give paypal anything!!...but theyll be stuck with there mills and boons novels trying to sell them for 20 years clogging up adverts.ie

I don't allow to pay for my stuff using paypal, ever. This is after I was screwed by a buyer when after number of weeks he filed a chargeback with paypal saying the item "wasn't as described" despite having no issues with it. Obviously paypal ruled in his favor as they always do. Rule of thumb - use PP for buying, don't use for selling, especially when bank transfer is just as easy with online banking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

Incomprehensibly poorly written hard-luck stories after a sale is agreed is another thing to endure.

I got this months ago a week after a sale, price, place and time were all agreed and still haven't deciphered on earth what your man was on about:

"Hi,I am interested in buying tires but my car is broken and the services it will pick up on Monday. Please have the opportunity I bring their tires. If so much advice I have paid transportation to Cavan. I'll pay for tires and transport € 100."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

timmy880 wrote: »
    I sold off my retro games console collection on adverts last year...... The aggressiveness of the responses was ridiculous. And people take it as a personal insult if you don't accept their "€50 can collect today, accept now" for items that were worth triple that.
    "Sure it's only a 8 bit console!!.........FFS.......":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Put washer/dryer online. Brand new, retails for 500. Get an offer for 350. Ask can she go closer to 400, she says no so I agree to meet her at 350 and accept offer... Says she will get back to me to arrange someone to pick it up. Hear nothing. Follow up today and get a reply

"Hi apoligies i cant get someone to pick it up unfortunatley. Thanks anyway."

Do people not realize that if they offer to buy something they really should have how they are going to collect it sorted out BEFOREHAND.

It's really putting me off using adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Xcellor wrote: »
    Put washer/dryer online. Brand new, retails for 500. Get an offer for 350. Ask can she go closer to 400, she says no so I agree to meet her at 350 and accept offer... Says she will get back to me to arrange someone to pick it up. Hear nothing. Follow up today and get a reply

"Hi apoligies i cant get someone to pick it up unfortunatley. Thanks anyway."

Do people not realize that if they offer to buy something they really should have how they are going to collect it sorted out BEFOREHAND.

It's really putting me off using adverts.ie

with the added effect that you've now knocked 150e off your asking price for nothing. Pain in the ass. I always check for the bidders' other posts/feedback rating to see if they are a timewaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I don't allow to pay for my stuff using paypal, ever. This is after I was screwed by a buyer when after number of weeks he filed a chargeback with paypal saying the item "wasn't as described" despite having no issues with it. Obviously paypal ruled in his favor as they always do. Rule of thumb - use PP for buying, don't use for selling, especially when bank transfer is just as easy with online banking these days.

I like to get paid with Amazon vouchers.

No extra charges, no fees, no refunds and I buy on Amazon all the time.

I might switch to Ryanair vouchers and put them towards a holiday.

Anyways, my issue, people who love to haggle.

€5 asking price.
    "I'll offer you €4.50"
    "Offer €4.75"

Seriously, you're gonna draw out a transaction for the sake of a few cent? Some people think they're doing you a favour by bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

everlast75 wrote: »
    with the added effect that you've now knocked 150e off your asking price for nothing. Pain in the ass. I always check for the bidders' other posts/feedback rating to see if they are a timewaster

Yeah and now I cannot expect anyone to offer more than 350! It should be a sanctionable offense. If you make an offer and don't follow through your account is locked for xxx amount of time, then it would make people think before just low balling and then going "sorry".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Are you ever in XXXX when you've specified that it's collection only in your ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've no particular issues with Adverts, but then I always meet in person, deal in cash and just ignore the idiot comments on my stuff for sale.
    Tbh donedeal eejits does my head in more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah and now I cannot expect anyone to offer more than 350! It should be a sanctionable offense. If you make an offer and don't follow through your account is locked for xxx amount of time, then it would make people think before just low balling and then going "sorry".
    Yes you can and you should. Take it down and relist at your original selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I use it for buying and I generally pay what the seller asks. No faffing about. But I do find sellers could help themselves by putting more info into the adverts.
    I do think there are lots of timewasters on there too and donedeal it's like they expect things for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

vultures taking the free stuff and when you check their ads they have the same stuff for sale!

"OH me, i really need this TV for my children"

-32" TV in their ads for 50 euro!!!

or ads that have obviously been sold and are now being ignored but still live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i sold my ps4 on there to a lovely lass i forgot to give her eh a good endorsement thingy on it now when i think about it ehh... feck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

esforum wrote: »
    vultures taking the free stuff and when you check their ads they have the same stuff for sale!

"OH me, i really need this TV for my children"

-32" TV in their ads for 50 euro!!!

or ads that have obviously been sold and are now being ignored but still live

3 quid charge though :( I mean if adverts was a really good service I wouldn't mind paying for it but it's ****, so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Adverts.ie is quite frankly the worst medium a seller can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Adverts could be useful with a few common sense tweaks.

My account sits idle though, as life's too short to be dealing with eejits of that calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a "suggestions for adverts" thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771871

Last update is from 2012, I suppose everyone are happy with adverts since then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

biko wrote: »
    There is a "suggestions for adverts" thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771871

Last update is from 2012, I suppose everyone are happy with adverts since then :D

or....the forum is closed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Wonder if we could have a thread where we can post the worst of them ?

Guy selling a phone because he got a new one states in his ad ' and I do not need 2 phones '

First comment "Trade for white note 4 Sim free Verizon model"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive bought and sold quite a bit on it...mixed results...its good for buying.
    But the amount of people,sellers included who wont take paypal is ridiculous...they expect you to go to the inconvenience of a bank transfer for something worth a fiver"so they dont have to pay 20cent to paypal.
    "check my feedback bud"
    Its typical irish, being short sighted...I wont give paypal anything!!...but theyll be stuck with there mills and boons novels trying to sell them for 20 years clogging up adverts.ie

adverts.ie ...listen up!!...Insist on sellers accepting paypal...start charging people a small fee for listsings...it will get rid of the crud of which there is way too much.
    I love pressing the nearby button to see whats for sale nearby but 90% of it is rubbish that will never sell.
    +1. Clear out the ar5eholes who put up the BASIC add, sell the bloody thing and then hit the WITHDRAWN button, or worse still, leave the blasted add in limbo.

Can't beat these old chestnuts....

Description

iPhone 5s for sale works perfect just locked on iCloud - €70

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I find Adverts OK. I've a few rules that I follow though.

1: I put "no swaps" in my ads.
    2: I put a price a few percent more than I'm looking for.
    3: When somebody makes a decent offer I see from their history if they're a timewaster or not and treat accordingly.
    4: If I accept an offer the buyer has a day to get the ball rolling.

The next ones are important.

5: I ignore anybody who says they'll swap for X, Y or Z.
    6: I ignore the mental offers e.g. less than 50% of what I'm looking for.
    7: You only get my phone number when you've made an offer that I've accepted.

I've a mate who doesn't have rule 5, 6 & 7 and ends up dealing with some nut jobs who seem to have nothing else to do except send on pointless questions. He seems to get stressed by them. I just don't deal with them at all. They can post messages to themselves all day on the ad if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

eamonnq wrote: »
    Wonder if we could have a thread where we can post the worst of them ?

Guy selling a phone because he got a new one states in his ad ' and I do not need 2 phones '

First comment "Trade for white note 4 Sim free Verizon model"

Or the ones where you're selling a newish enough Android and somebody posts "swap for my 3 year old iPhone" because you know, an old iPhone is worth more than a new Android. :rolleyes:

Edited: I'm not talking about crappy android phones.
    e.g. For sale. Galaxy S6, 6 months old.
    "Would you swap it for an iPhone 5?"

Or the ones where you're selling a newish enough Android and somebody posts "swap for my 3 year old iPhone" because you know, an old iPhone is worth more than a new Android. :rolleyes:

Depending on the Android phone in question it might well be. There's a huge range of manufacturers using the Android OS, including some decidedly crappy ones.

Sorry, just being pedantic, don't mind me :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Selling laptop - 350 euro

Offer 250 - no thanks
    Offer 270 - no thanks

Price drop - 300 euro

Offer 220 - no thanks
    Offer 250 - no thanks

Now I'm thinking I'll never get 270, and I need a quick sale...

Price drop - 275

Offer 200 - ...

GOD DAMN IT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Some of the crazy stuff put up for free baffles me

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/tea/10162291

................and they'll even feckin post it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Blatantly stolen stuff as well, The same people selling iphone after iphone, all 'locked' for an obvious and innocent reason. yeah right!

I find the mods a little contrary at times too. Had something for free before and stated straight up that I was giving to a good home, not a vulture. THe same vulture kept asking and asking and asking, must have reported the ad cause it got removed as and I quote "I wasnt responding to requests" despite having agreed to give it to someone already. On the flip side, I reported a guy for selling something thats illegal. Ad stayed up, told to call the Gardai. Yep, cause theres a somewhere in Ireland online only branch waiting to pounce!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

esforum wrote: »
    Blatantly stolen stuff as well, The same people selling iphone after iphone, all 'locked' for an obvious and innocent reason. yeah right!

I find the mods a little contrary at times too. Had something for free before and stated straight up that I was giving to a good home, not a vulture. THe same vulture kept asking and asking and asking, must have reported the ad cause it got removed as and I quote "I wasnt responding to requests" despite having agreed to give it to someone already. On the flip side, I reported a guy for selling something thats illegal. Ad stayed up, told to call the Gardai. Yep, cause theres a somewhere in Ireland online only branch waiting to pounce!

This is true. And the mods do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

For selling, adverts is more suited to smaller value items. I had a mobile home on adverts for over a year and in that time had more than half a dozen people come to view it. Most to them seemed to just want to see what a mobile home was like inside and hadnt a notion of buying it. Thought I'd give donedeal a try, the thing was gone out of my yard inside a fortnight, first person who came to view, bought it.

Advertisement