Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Hearing Tests?

Options
  • 16-05-2019 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've noticed a number of places around do free hearing tests.
    Just wondering what is the catch?

Do they then try to get you to buy hearing aids etc?

Anyway tried these free hearing tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Last time I got an eye test in Specsavers they gave me a free hearing test.

Think you can get a eye test every 2 years as a paye worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A quick look at Specsavers price list gives their cheapest hearing aid at seven hundred yoyo's.

There's your answer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I got a free hearing test.

Never heard back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Speak up OP - I can't hear you.

Great first post - only 7 years after registering..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel, any way how much are these free hearing aids.

Two questions, how much, and give it to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

That's the first I've heard of it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The free hearing test is just an app on a tablet with some ear phones. You can do it yourself at home.

If you have a concern about your hearing or ear related issues book an appointment with a proper audiologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

"Can everyone hear me?"
    One of my favorite questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Come again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kinney

Is a test is simple. If you can't hear someone whispering, so you probably have tinnitus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thank F$€# you don't work as an audiologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I can hear the colour 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Forty or fifty quid on Amazon. Somebody has to pay for all of those tests I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is not much that is "free" in this world, there's usually a catch and in the case of hearing aids, the "free" test usually turns into a recommendation that several thousand euro be spent on hearing aids.

As the state funds part of the cost for those who meet the PRSI criteria, there is effectively a grant for purchasing hearing aids which distorts the market as grants usually do

Hearing aids are far too expensive and while they can help people, often they don't help as much as people expect. It's a dirty, gouging industry that takes advantage of people desperate to hear better.

Advertisement