Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of devices - limit on Eir router?

Options
  • 12-06-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I’m thinking of switching to Eir who are now offering fiber to the house, with an option of either 150mb or 1gb.

The small print says the router supports a max of 20 devices at a time. If I include individual hue bulbs, smart plugs and Sonos speakers I’ve actually got well over this...

Can anyone tell me if the limit of 20 is based on the router itself or is it the max the connection can handle? Would installing a mesh system get around this? As things stand all devices work on the existing Virgin Media system.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hue bulbs don't count as they connect tomyoir hue hub which then connects to your router and is counted as a single device.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

Hue bulbs don't count as they connect tomyoir hue hub which then connects to your router and is counted as a single device.

Even counting the Hue system as one connection I’d still exceed 20 😬.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Declan1 wrote: »
    Even counting the Hue system as one connection I’d still exceed 20 ��.

The limit.is.the router itself, a.mesh system won't help,.I would suggest if you have issues, replace.it.with wired access points

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Try Googles Nest Wifi, its a mesh system, and each point can handle up to 100 devices (its mentioned here). You'll still need to use your existing Virgin modem though

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Spocker wrote: »
    Try Googles Nest Wifi, its a mesh system, and each point can handle up to 100 devices (its mentioned here). You'll still need to use your existing Virgin modem though

Hmm I wonder can each point handle up to 100 CONCURRENT devices at the same time they forgot to mention that;) I know my high end Netgear can handle 32 concurrent devices per radio channel 2.4 and 5ghz

Each router and point can handle up to 100 connected devices each, while also offering multiple 4K video streams. So your busy house full of connected smartphones, speakers, smarthome products and TVs won't choke it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've 64 devices connected to my Nest Mesh at the moment with no problems.

I think the limit is because of the way the DHCP is set on the router by default, if you change it to renew every 24 hours and a big range you should be ok, i set my local pub with 3 ssids & no password and there isn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Clareman wrote: »
    I've 64 devices connected to my Nest Mesh at the moment with no problems.

I think the limit is because of the way the DHCP is set on the router by default, if you change it to renew every 24 hours and a big range you should be ok, i set my local pub with 3 ssids & no password and there isn't a problem

Clareman is that all on the one radio band? or is that spread between 2.4 and 5ghz bands, I know most domestic routers will only support up to 32 devices per channel. Amazed if it could handle 64 devices per radio but maybe it can:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clareman is that all on the one radio band? or is that spread between 2.4 and 5ghz bands, I know most domestic routers will only support up to 32 devices per channel. Amazed if it could handle 64 devices per radio but maybe it can:eek:

The mesh looks after all that for me so I've nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭happyplants

Thanks, this is what I came to find out.

I'm trying to figure out why my connection keeps dropping. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm way over 32.

Was very comfortable with the Virgin Box and Orbi Mesh, but seems difficult now on the f2000

Advertisement