Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was at that game (and the infamous croker one) and nothing compares to Thomond, Musgrave comes very close though to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It would be better than any other option though. Aviva isnt great for plenty of games but i dont see any option in Munster as better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Thomond great for the biggest of games and key games Munster have to win but a lot of pro14 games atmosphere is horrendous... and Musgrave is same though has got much better since the place was done up..

I'm not saying a stadium in Munster would be better atmospheric wise... It can't possibly be worse though and less travel

I'd have him on the first flight back to SA if I could. He seems like a decent sort but Munster are still kings of the also-rans with him in charge.

Oddly enough, I expect Leinster to decline a fair bit this year if it turns out Cullen is leaving at the end of the season so who knows, Munster might finally pox a few successive wins over Leinster this year. They probably won't, because van Grann is massively mediocre, but they could.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Van Graan, Van Graan, Van Graan. Why does out senior coach get away scot free from any critisism? Larkham, a far more experienced former super rugby head coach, is starting his third season now and I have yet to see what he brings to the setup.

I refuse to believe the BS that he's being overruled with respect to the game plan by Van Graan. If that was true he'd have left by now.

I'm not saying that Van Graan is the best coach, but it's been the same since a long time before he arrived under multiple coaches. There's something else amiss at Munster. This seasons best signing might actually be Caroline Currid

There's quite a lot amiss in Munster from my limited understanding and I'm not lining up to defend Larkham either but van Grann is the guy at the top of the tree, tactics-wise, selection-wise etc. He's the guy who's first answers seem to be some variation of a) sign a SA forward or b) sign a back three player. Tbf, Synman and Jenkins are good signings but I suspect he'd still be playing Botha (who wasn't the worst) ahead of Coombes if he could.

I agree about Currid, hopefully she can hypnotise van grann into packing his bags.

I am no longer a season ticket holder since I left Limerick, though I'm back a fair bit, so maybe I'm way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jack O'D talked up the signing of Caroline in a recent interview. He said the players are in awe of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

accidentally quoted this 3 weeks ago but it keeps appearing in the post box even after deleting it a million times, so to get rid of i am going to just have to post

The new site is a joke but you can bin the quote (on a laptop anyway) and just reply to the thread.

• Advertisement

Match Officials for Saturday's game are:

Munster Rugby vs Cell C Sharks at Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick – 20h35

Referee: Craig Evans

ARs: Marius van der Westhuizen, Dermot Blake

TMO: Jon Mason

Cell C Sharks team to play Munster

Cell C Sharks

Khwezi Mona

Kerron van Vuuren

Thomas du Toit (v/c)

Le Roux Roets

Gerbrandt Grobler

Dylan Richardson

Henco Venter

Phepsi Buthelezi (c)

Ruan Pienaar

Boeta Chamberlain

Thaakir Abrahams

Marius Louw

Werner Kok

Yaw Penxe

Curwin Bosch

Replacements

Fez Mbatha

Ntuthuko Mchunu

Khutha Mchunu

Hyron Andrews

Ruben van Heerden

Mpilo Gumede

Sanele Nohamba

Jeremy Ward

This didn't transfer over as I thought it should - team numbered 1 to 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Really looking forward to the season opener, now. Interested to see how we might adapt to the 50:22 rule. Scannell, Haley, Zebo all good options with the boot outside of our 10's.

I was thinking the same and I'd be slightly weighted towards using Zebo because of the 50:22. Let's hope Pienaar doesn't have a stormer with it on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

That has been torturing me for weeks with a reply I didn't then post.

Deleted the quite and it reappears every time I open the thread.

Did you delete the draft? Click on your icon on the top right hand corner of the screen, click on drafts and then click the x to delete the draft. It's one of the many PITA issues with this new site.

I didn't know that. This site is torture since the update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/09/23/munster-development-xv-to-face-leinster-on-friday/

Munster Development XV will face Leinster at the IRFU HPC in Dublin on Friday at 4pm with Head Coach Ian Costello naming a 27-man squad for the clash.

Senior players Seán French, Jack Crowley, James French and Jack Daly are named in the starting XV.

Eight members of the Greencore Munster Rugby Academy are involved – Paddy Patterson, Mark Donnelly, Scott Buckley, Eoin O’Connor, Paddy Kelly, Cian Hurley, Alex Kendellen and Daniel Okeke.

Munster Development: Patrick Campbell (PBC); Seán French (Cork Constitution FC), Alan Flannery (Shannon RFC), Darragh French (UCC), Jamie Shanahan (Garryowen FC); Jack Crowley (Cork Constitution FC), Paddy Patterson (UCD); Mark Donnelly (Garryowen FC), Scott Buckley (UCC), James French (UCC); Eoin O’Connor (Young Munster), Paddy Kelly (Garryowen FC); Cian Hurley (Garryowen FC), Jack Daly (Garryowen FC), Alex Kendellen (UCC).

Replacements from: Dylan Murphy (Garryowen FC), Alessandro Heaney (UCC), Darragh McSweeney (Shannon RFC), Edwin Edogbo (UCC), Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel RFC), Adam Maher (Young Munster RFC), Tony Butler (Garryowen FC), Alex Wood (Garryowen FC), George Coomber (UCC), John Forde (Cork Constitution FC), Daniel Okeke (Shannon RFC), Jack Delaney (Garryowen FC).

The team for the Sharks is in.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman, Keynan Knox, RG Snyman, Thomas Ahern, Rowan Osborne, Ben Healy, Chris Cloete.

6:2 bench spilt, which isnt really surprising. Second debut for Zebo and great to see Snyman on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman, Keynan Knox, RG Snyman, Thomas Ahern, Rowan Osborne, Ben Healy, Chris Cloete.

Prepare yourselves for the RG Orgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ahern and Snyman in the subs list. interesting. both our locks replaced or rearranged, fineen to 6?

not a big fan of jacko at 7. put him to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He's an Afrikaner. It's pronounced 'Arghh Hay'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Wasn't expecting such a strong team. Pleasant surprise.

Could RG be called up by SA once he proves his fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is Earls injured? Can Zebo do a full 80? He didn't look fully fit at the challenge match a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

God damn that's an exciting bench

Not until the AIs when there are no Munster games anyway. There are only two weeks left in rugby championship and he'd have to quarantine for that length of time if he entered Australia.

Not sure what the story is with Earls. He wasn't involved in either of the preseason games, but he's not listed as injured in the squad updates. Maybe he just got a longer summer break and is a bit behind the others.

As for Zebo he's had 3 more weeks of training since then and he went off with a slight knock that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Earls was training this week at least. Hard to know if he'll be available next week or not

For anybody attending the match tomorrow please be aware that food, tea and coffee will be served as usual but there will be no bars open and no alcohol served in the stadium, plan your jacket pockets accordingly

• Advertisement

Well a second Ed Sheeren gig has been added on the Friday night, so if we get a home HCC quarter final this year its going to have to be on the Sunday.

Advertisement