Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-10-2018, 14:22   #1

Do many men do Pilates and is it a good option?

Probably could do with a change from weights/resistance training with arms and legs and work on core, would Pilates be a good option? Do men attend classes for it?
Advertisement
22-10-2018, 10:04   #2
Kenz

Hi - I've never attended a Pilates class, but before I took up Yoga, I was thinking about it... I'd recommend just giving it a go and seeing how it suits you or not. They all use your bodies natural weight, and I find that this is a better way, that gyms and weights... (did my fair share in the past).

Neither Pilates or Yoga are for just women, although you may find more women in these types of classes. In Yoga, sometimes I'm one of maybe only two or three men in a room of women... other times, I'm the only one, and other times, depending where I go - the class have a good mix.

Anyways - They're all fun... so remember to relax and Enjoy ;O)
22-10-2018, 17:53   #3
stphgry

Pilates was invented by a man - Joseph Pilates so it's just as beneficial for men as women. It's a workout and helps to build a balance in the body of strength and flexibility in the body through awareness and conscious movement. It can be a great addition to a well rounded fitness program. I run a Pilates studio and we have a mixture of men and women who come to classes and who do one to one sessions - some to help with prior injury, some to cross train for a chosen sport, some to help with postural issues and some just cause it feels great. Many people are familiar with the body weight training side of Pilates, but the full method also includes Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and Barrels. Am happy to answer any other questions you might have.
24-01-2019, 13:27   #4
stabeek

@Kenz,

I'm um'ing and awh'ing about of taking up yoga, but I didn't bank on it being fun.
I was just hoping its level of suffering and tediousness would be lower than I expected, but, fun? Would never have thought it.

i.e. that Down Dog? Unless you mean discovering new patterns on the floor. Maybe that's interesting, not quite fun though. How can it be fun?
28-01-2019, 11:06   #5
Effects

It's not suffering or tedious. It's like any sport or exercise, you challenge yourself and feel better afterwards.
Advertisement
09-09-2019, 13:16   #6
omsingh

Pilates is great for strengthening and toning with a focus your core and for increasing your flexibility. Since it is not designed to be an aerobic activity, don't forget your cardio! It also won't fit your needs if you are looking for an aerobic workout. Pilates can be very demanding, so start slowly.
21-12-2019, 02:31   #7
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dots1982 View Post
Probably could do with a change from weights/resistance training with arms and legs and work on core, would Pilates be a good option? Do men attend classes for it?

Not many men attend classes for it I'll be honest but some do. I would suggest maybe you bring a mate if you feel it will make it more fun.

Someone should start a pilates facebook group or meet up for men in Dublin.

Pilates is wonderful for your core and for your back. Particularly if you are sitting at a computer all day.

It also helps posture.

It helps strength and flexibility of the hips and hip flexors.

You will see a huge difference in your body if you do one class a week for maybe 10 weeks.

But honestly you will feel amazing if you do it once or thrice a week. Particularly in the shoulders and back.

You need to find a good teacher though to make the movements work.
21-12-2019, 03:45   #8
beauf

I know a good few who do it and have done it myself. Best ones I've done those with a physio for strengthening up the core. Worked great for me.
Thanks from:
21-12-2019, 04:00   #9
the_syco
Subscriber

Have done it before. Bit of advice; don't do any gym before the class, as you'll regret it otherwise (I did ).

Found it to be quite good. It attracts lots of hot women, which is always a plus
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-12-2019, 04:13   #10
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
I know a good few who do it and have done it myself. Best ones I've done those with a physio for strengthening up the core. Worked great for me.
Not many physios appear to want to learn it or to teach it sadly. Very few seem to do it.

There is a lady in Ballsbridge called Tara Early Fallon....a place called oscailt ...i THINK she is a physio not sure tho

Also Sinead Watt in platinum pilates. She is a physio

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion