Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison Photographs

• 23-10-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have just finished watching Tony Robinson’s programme on the evolution of Lincoln Jail. The programme finishes with the opening of the new town jail in the mid-1870’’s. As prisoners were admitted it seems that they were photographed.

Does anyone know if there may have been a similar procedure here for our Dublin prisons, particularly Richmond Prison? I have an ancestor jailed in that prison in 1873 for being absent from his indentured apprenticeship.

Also were there ever photographs for the South Dublin Workhouse? My gang seemed to have been regular visitors to that place.

It would add another dimension to the personal journey we are all on looking for lost relatives to be able to associate all these facts, dates & figures with a face I think.

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

That programme was good. I was wondering if they had much data or a photo of a certain Irish American, or American Irishman, who spent time there in the 1916 / 21 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

tabbey, it would be well worth your while contacting them I'm sure. J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭jos28

I did a research essay on 19th century bigamy when I was in college. I checked out some of the prisoner files at NAI and found that lots of them had photos. Definitely worth going in to check the particular files for your ancestor. There was a lot of detail in the files I looked at. Descriptions of prisoners physical appearance and character, letters received from loved ones etc. Makes for very interesting research

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

jos28,
    Thanks for that, it sounds like trip in to the city is beckoning. What time frame were you checking? My lad was in Richmond Jail in 1873, any idea if there are pics for that far back.

I imagine there were some harrowing stories among all the dates & notes.

Cheers
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I had an ancestor in a prison in the west of Ireland in 1895. I viewed the prison register on microfilm at the NAI. Although there was no photograph, it did have details such as height, weight, hair and eye colour, distinguishing marks etc. These are details we do not get from parish or civil registers, or census records.
    Prison records are also of immense value for social history. To see the pitiful condition of some of our ancestors, or their neighbours, can be a harrowing and humbling experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭jos28

I looked at Convict Reference Files 1836-1922 and Penal Servitude Files 1847-1913. Definitely worth having a look at the files. As Tabbey says even without photos you will get prisoners descriptions and circumstances. I'd give the NAI a shout and see what they have. If you plan ahead you can arrange to have the files ready and waiting for you which saves valuable time.

Advertisement