Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reading census

Options
  • 15-12-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello all,

I can't decipher an abbreviation entered for my great great grandmothers birth place. It's Co Clare but there's what I think is R.W. after it. I have no idea what this means - could anyone shed some light??
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000919788/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

See the name of the enumerator. I think he initialled the change to confirm it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd concur with that but it's an interesting mistake - Kilkenny sounds nothing like Clare.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

I would say P.Breathnach has got it in one

The witness's name is Robert Watson hence the RW

Based on the last time my family filled out the census, and my father was writing in the details and was muttering everything as he wrote and when he came to county born in said "Galway, Galway, Galway, Galway, Galway" for all of us until my mother reminded him she was born in Dublin.

So I can only guess that as the husband and children are all from Kilkenny, that when asked someone said "we're all from Kilkenny" and then your great-great grandmother reminded them she was from Cork......or something along those lines..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

Duh! I feel a right plank now! :o I should have known that - shor I initial my paperwork everyday in work!! Thanks all.

Advertisement