Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genealogy Weather!

• 24-05-2012 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Since the weather changed to...well, nice, I find it hard to drag myself into the repositories. But if I do, will it be full of tourists at this time of the year? Or should I leave it until after the tourist season?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never seen a vast amount of tourists doing genealogy at any time of the year. They mostly just monopolise the advisory services in the NLI and NA, and you'd hardly need them!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well that's good news for me, thanks. Hoping to catch up with a distant relative first before I trek in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've never seen a vast amount of tourists doing genealogy at any time of the year. They mostly just monopolise the advisory services in the NLI and NA, and you'd hardly need them!
    There won't be many tourists monopolising the advisory services in the National Archives: the service has been suspended from today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There won't be many tourists monopolising the advisory services in the National Archives: the service has been suspended from today.

Anything to do with cutbacks and mergers I wonder?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0524/1224316609948.html

Edit: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/2012/05/genealogy-service/

Herself was in the NA today. She was given to understand that the statement
    The Genealogy Service in the National Archives will be temporarily suspended from 1 June – it is hoped to reinstate this service as soon as possible.
    is code for "gone due to cutbacks, and with no reasonable hope of restoration of the service".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Wow!

I know the current contract was coming to an end - they were seeking tenders last year for the service. Guess they didn't find the right group at the right price. That is a serious shame.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

There are going to be a lot of disappointed tourists this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Wow!
    . That is a serious shame.

Agreed. However it seems a bit odd, what with Deenihan's views on family history as a tourism generator. Maybe he will ride to the fore when the R word is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

A real shame. Claire's blog entry was interesting as I didn't know the service was provided by APGI members. Basd on what pinky says above I'm guessing they must have had some sort of contract to provide the service?

I wonder will researchers wander up stairs and ask the service desk staff all sorts of genealogical questions from now on.

As Pedro says, maybe Deenihan will get the service resumed...or maybe they will look for volunteers to step into the breach instead.

I would be very offended if paid staff were laid off and an effort were made to recruit volunteers to take their place.

I don't think it necessary that a free advisory service be provided. It might have been better to introduce a fee system pitched at a level sufficient to cover staffing costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What exactly has been suspended? I'm arriving in Dublin next weekend!

Does this mean I'll be able to get certs, but not do searches?

Don't panic. The service that is being suspended is the genealogical advisory service in the National Archives. There has been no curtailment of access to records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Don't panic. The service that is being suspended is the genealogical advisory service in the National Archives. There has been no curtailment of access to records.

The nerve. Let me get Barry Obama on the phone and I'll set this right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0531/1224316987797.html

Makes for interesting reading - including the comments.

Advertisement