Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to HDHomerun Connect maybe?

Options
  • 20-06-2020 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a Dual Tuner DVB-T/2 device that either provides access to its tuners via ethernet or else can be hacked to do so, to replace a Quattro HDHR that failed (and a Dual HDHR that did not work correctly).

Essentially I want a dual tuner DVBT-T/2 device that can run minisatip or tvheadend server or similar, so that the tuners are available on the LAN.
    I have no requirement for HDMI out or any of the other niceties. They will just be ignored if present.

Has anyone come across a device like described?
    Single tuner boxes can be bought for about €20 but are not usable in the manner I want.
    HDHR boxes have gone hugely up in price and are now ridiculous for what they provide ..... unless maybe you buy into their own service.

Ideally, I guess, a Dual Tuner DVB-T/2 box running some form of Linux would be ideal.

Anyone got ideas?

Failing a reasonably priced box I am coming to the conclusion I will have to build my own. Won't be pretty, but will be functional.
    My present self build estimate is about €60, and whatever time and effort it takes. I would prefer to buy a box if available at a reasonable cost (up to 2 x self build cost).

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Zgemma H7C
    http://zgemma.org/zgemma-h7c.html

World of Satellite had it but it's not listed on their site now, only the twin sat version is available from them (H7S).

Another possible option is a combo box and add a USB terrestrial tuner (assuming the box supports it).
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/cable-terrestrial-receivers/zgemma-h92h

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/multi-tuners-and-combo-receivers/gigablue-uhd-trio-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

old laptop with 2 rtlsdr usb sticks and libreelec if building your own? if you have an old laptop knocking around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

old laptop with 2 rtlsdr usb sticks and libreelec if building your own? if you have an old laptop knocking around the house

Thanks.
    Yes there are a number of options when doing own build.
    A discarded laptop would be a bit of overkill but cheap.
    I hope to end up with something considerably smaller.

I take it you have not come across anything suitable and cheap for sale either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I guess I best plan on building my own.
    Oh well at least I asked before I went down this road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

I've had a good experience running a tvheadend server on a raspberry pi 4 using a usb DVB-T2 tuner. I'd imagine the pi 4 could easily handle 2 tuners (and probably more).

There is also a DVB-T2 tuner "hat" for the raspberry pi. It seems to be considerably cheaper than many of the available usb tuners. However, I'm not sure if you can stack more than one of these on top of the pi.

Just another option to consider...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Darkphenom wrote: »
    I've had a good experience running a tvheadend server on a raspberry pi 4 using a usb DVB-T2 tuner. I'd imagine the pi 4 could easily handle 2 tuners (and probably more).

There is also a DVB-T2 tuner "hat" for the raspberry pi. It seems to be considerably cheaper than many of the available usb tuners. However, I'm not sure if you can stack more than one of these on top of the pi.

Just another option to consider...

I've a pi hat running at home, it's ok but I'm not sure if it's hd quality check the speck. All it's doing is unpacking a Transport stream so a pi 2 could easily do it. You don't need a 4 for it.

Advertisement