Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a Postfone SIM work on a Vodafone locked Phone?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with vodafone and my mobile is locked to their network.

If i a swtich to postfone will i be able to use their SIM on my phone?

I'm guessing they WILL send me one of their own SIM cards right?

Will really appreciate the replies, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes they will send you one of their own sims.

A few things come into play here, if postfone are using a different 08X number range it wont work. If postfone are using a segregate range of 087 numbers then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Doge

A few things come into play here, if postfone are using a different 08X number range it wont work. If postfone are using a segregate range of 087 numbers then it should be fine.

Cheers for the reply helmimachoptor.

I'm pretty sure they are using 087 so it should work.

I've actually only switched to vodafone from o2 on monday, so i can use this phone. :P

My number will be 086, but since it will be a postfone simcard, it should work regardless of the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Has nothing to do with the phone number.

As long as the network code is the same it will work. MNC of Vodafone Ireland is 272-01.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Even if postfone are using the vodafone network it wont matter the phone will be sim locked to vodafone sims only ..
    to get unlock code if phone is locked you need to have topped up by £127 over 6 months with vodafone to get the code off them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

flodis79 wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with the phone number.

As long as the network code is the same it will work. MNC of Vodafone Ireland is 272-01.

Yes you are correct but VF cant hand out 086/085 etc numbers as they belong to other operators. So if postfone are using 087 the MNC will be the same as VF's thereby getting around any potential SIM/Phone issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Doge

jay93 wrote: »
    Even if postfone are using the vodafone network it wont matter the phone will be sim locked to vodafone sims only ..
    to get unlock code if phone is locked you need to have topped up by £127 over 6 months with vodafone to get the code off them

Nay.

I can confirm that postfone sims do work on phones locked to vodafone,

as I have now switched over.

The person at the post office asked me if the phone was unlocked prior to taking my details which was nice,
    i told them the phone was locked to vodafone and they said it was okay, and they were spot on.

After the switch over and putting the postfone sim in i topped it up.
    As soon as i entered in my 10 euro voucher code,
    the voice said my new balance is 20 euro! Sweet, no delay in getting the bonus credit what so ever.

It then said that the balance will expire in 180~ish days,
    which would be 6 months, as the offer is a 6 month one.

Thats great seen as tesco will remove any bonus credit left over after 30 days since your topup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Postfone is run by Vodafone.

The MNC is the same, nothing to do with the Phone number, Vodafone issue the postfone SIM Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Ah right thanks for that i didnt think the post sims would work in a voda locked phone i also just found out there that they use 087.
    so voda running the network for an post interesting and postfone seems cheaper than vodafone for calls etc

An Post will have a wholesale agreement with VF so they are just making less margin on each call/sms etc in order to try an attract customers.. watch this space..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

your postfone sim will work in a vodafone phone but a vodafone sim will not work in a postfone phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭GIMP

jacob2 wrote: »
    your postfone sim will work in a vodafone phone but a vodafone sim will not work in a postfone phone

3 year old thread.....wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laus99

so what if a thread is 3 yrs old???
    I've gotten a lot of useful info,
    also continued discussion with people despite threads were ancient.
    I don't get what problem people constantly have
    with the age of threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

laus99 wrote: »
    so what if a thread is 3 yrs old???
    I've gotten a lot of useful info,
    also continued discussion with people despite threads were ancient.
    I don't get what problem people constantly have
    with the age of threads..

You waited over 7 years to make your first post - on this zombie thread?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Can't wait to see the reply in 2/3 years it's gonna be a dozzie.. :-)

Esel wrote: »
    You waited over 7 years to make your first post - on this zombie thread?

your motivation is exactly what I'm wondering about. what relevance has the age of a thread to you; what is the point of your comment???
    (btw I'm here a lot longer than 7 years and this isn't my first post - also wonder what relevance THAT seems to have to you.. perhaps you're just a busybody hassling people to get attention)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

your motivation is exactly what I'm wondering about. what relevance has the age of a thread to you; what is the point of your comment???
    (btw I'm here a lot longer than 7 years and this isn't my first post - also wonder what relevance THAT seems to have to you.. perhaps you're just a busybody hassling people to get attention)

This is your second post - on this account. What's the story?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    This is your second post - on this account. What's the story?

did u notice I asked you a question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

did u notice I asked you a question?

The topic is about Postfone. No more off topic posts and questions about old threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To clarify so theres some value in the necro...

Nothing to do with subscribers numbers. At all.

Doge wrote: »

I can confirm that postfone sims do work on phones locked to vodafone,

Correct.
    jay93 wrote: »

Wrong.

SIM locks are based on the MCC/MNC code. Thats what counts. So 272 is Ireland and then the MNC is the operator. 27205 - Three. 27201 - Vodafone. Etc etc.

When people say PostPhone is on the Vodafone network and Tesco is on the Three network those relationships are not the same. Tesco are 27211 and have their own "Virtual Mobile Network". From the phones perspective it has nothing to do with Three, its on Tesco.

Postphone IS Vodafone. Its just a white label service. Like tipexing out Ford and writing in Ferrari on your car. If it were cheaper it'd make sense but as their packages aren't and are 3G only its a dud idea (from AP, surprise surprise). Thats why they've got nearly no customers. As such any SIM locking is intercompatible as it has to be.

ED E wrote: »

Postphone IS Vodafone. Its just a white label service. Like tipexing out Ford and writing in Ferrari on your car. If it were cheaper it'd make sense but as their packages aren't and are 3G only its a dud idea (from AP, surprise surprise). Thats why they've got nearly no customers. As such any SIM locking is intercompatible as it has to be.

..in that case, a Vodafone sim should work in a postmobile sim locked device no? (which I think it doesn't..)
    also I was told removing a postmobile simlock is harder than other irish networks.. also on some online unlocking sites, postmobile is listed as a separate network than vidafone..?!
    (I'm asking cos I'm inheriting a couple postmobile locked phones and wondering what to do with them..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've not tested it but should all work interchangeably. Postphone don't have any staff or infra so unlocks from Vodafone should be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

ED E wrote: »
    To clarify so theres some value in the necro...

Nothing to do with subscribers numbers. At all.

Correct.

Wrong.

SIM locks are based on the MCC/MNC code. Thats what counts. So 272 is Ireland and then the MNC is the operator. 27205 - Three. 27201 - Vodafone. Etc etc.

When people say PostPhone is on the Vodafone network and Tesco is on the Three network those relationships are not the same. Tesco are 27211 and have their own "Virtual Mobile Network". From the phones perspective it has nothing to do with Three, its on Tesco.

Sorry bringing up an old thread but...Is this still the case?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Sorry bringing up an old thread but...Is this still the case?

phones locked to postmobile will not accept vodafone sim cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Will a phone locked to Vodafone still accept a post fone sim?

Advertisement