Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I treat teak?

Options
  • 24-07-2020 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,
    I hope this is the correct place to post this, and hopefully someone may know the answer to this question!
    I have a boat with a wheelhouse made out of teak (as far as I can tell). Lately I sanded all the old wood stain off it as it was starting to flake with the weather and it was looking very tatty in general. However, now I'm not sure what to do with the wood. I did some research online and I some people have said not to treat teak with anything, and in some forums, especially not to use teak oil as teak oil is more of a generic term and not specifically teak-related. I looked at perhaps using linseed oil but I read that this can potentially cause mildew if the environmental factors are correct. Also, some say teak has it's own oils in it which makes it good for outdoors.
    I don't mind treating it or not treating it, as long as it is protected and preserved in good condition.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best all round varnish is Le Tonkinois, not cheap but the stuff is the official French Navy Varnish.
    http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/varmain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Teak with its high natural oil content, resists both warping and rot, ensuring that teak structures (wheelhouse) and furniture will last more than a lifetime.

Teak has a built in finish if you will, it is the unique combination of the density and the natural oils and resins in the wood.  UV light and wind will dry the surface and cause the top to turn silver gray.  The silver gray color is not an indicator of problems.  It is just cosmetic. Teak does require occasional cleaning and can be done with a homemade cleaning solution. Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1 gallon of warm water and apply with a medium brush, a sponge, scrubbing in-line with the grain of the wood.

Some like bright work others live happily with silver teak. Your choice.

Advertisement