Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card Payment Options - is SumUp's standing charge of 2.75% The norm

Options
  • 24-09-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a mobile card payment solution that can run off a phone.

I've been googling and one, (?the only option in Ireland), is quoting 2.75% for all transactions is SumUp and not other charges - is this the norm? Should I be looking at other options.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

For a no contract no monthly fee option they are all about the same. Theres a few other options in the UK market around the 2% mark so not a whole heap of difference even in a slightly bigger market.

Unless there's a reason you don't want a contract or if it really needs to be mobile then I would look at other options as they work out a lot cheaper even if you're only putting through a few grand a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

jimmii wrote: »
    For a no contract no monthly fee option they are all about the same. Theres a few other options in the UK market around the 2% mark so not a whole heap of difference even in a slightly bigger market.

Unless there's a reason you don't want a contract or if it really needs to be mobile then I would look at other options as they work out a lot cheaper even if you're only putting through a few grand a month

Cheers thanks. It would a lot less than several grand a month, something like 200-500 a month in fact. So I presume this limits my options significantly if trying to get something with better value than 2.75%?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

https://mysplink.com/

Have a look at the above site, I think their rates are better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are only looking at saving a fiver a month though if you find a service that is a full one percent cheaper. I don't think you can really expect it to be worth your while. Splink gives you a slightly lower rate according to the website, but I think you have to key the card number, which may not suit you (and you're only going to save about a euro a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Mike3549

The only problem with sumup is that card must be present, no payment over the phone or entering details manually. Most card terminals have €30/month rental + €30 minimum merchant administration fee. I got a quote from paymentplus for their "castles" terminal, see the rates below:

€9.99 Deal Overview:

Blue Tooth Castles MP200 Terminal.
    We offer no additional card not present fees
    No Monthly Minimum Charge.
    Terminal Rental Fee €9.99 per month
    No Cancellation Fee.
    Paperless no till receipts
    Accepts Contactless Transactions including ApplePay, Google Pay & Samsung Pay.
    Account Management Plan:

Account Management Support
    Free Online Reporting Tools
    Ancillary Charges:

PCI fee of €4.35 per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thanks that's a interesting package alright.

I'll have to have a look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Mike3549 wrote: »
    The only problem with sumup is that card must be present, no payment over the phone or entering details manually. Most card terminals have €30/month rental + €30 minimum merchant administration fee. I got a quote from paymentplus for their "castles" terminal, see the rates below:

€9.99 Deal Overview:

Blue Tooth Castles MP200 Terminal.
    We offer no additional card not present fees
    No Monthly Minimum Charge.
    Terminal Rental Fee €9.99 per month
    No Cancellation Fee.
    Paperless no till receipts
    Accepts Contactless Transactions including ApplePay, Google Pay & Samsung Pay.
    Account Management Plan:

Account Management Support
    Free Online Reporting Tools
    Ancillary Charges:

PCI fee of €4.35 per month

Can I ask what rate they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Can I ask what rate they charge?

See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Mike3549 wrote: »
    See attached

Thanks for that, seems quite complex I'll give them a call to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

72hundred wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a mobile card payment solution that can run off a phone.

I've been googling and one, (?the only option in Ireland), is quoting 2.75% for all transactions is SumUp and not other charges - is this the norm? Should I be looking at other options.

Thanks.

Be aware worst company to deal with. Card reader never work at firs time. After 3 years of using their service they closed account without any notice left us without any card payment option and hold our funds for 2 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement